Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Using LinkID to specify a link to modify

Quote Reply
Using LinkID to specify a link to modify
Hi all.

I'm trying to make a link to "modify this entry" using href="<%db_cgi_url%">/modify.cgi?LinkID=<%ID%>. When I go to this page, the existing data is not filled into the form fields and when I submit the form I get the error message "Did not specify a link to modify." If I want this to work, do I have to hack the modify.cgi file to get rid of a requirement for the URL (and if so, can someone tell me what to do specifically)?

The site I'm building has content that is not link-based (not all entries will have the URL field), and we want all users to be able to suggest modifications to any entry (to go into the queue for validation by the admin). We're not too concerned about abuse, because the site will have a very small audience. This is a recent install of LSQL, with "user_required" and "user_direct_mod" both set to "No".

I've been searching through past posts but couldn't find a definitive answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

neophyto
Quote Reply
Re: [neophyto] Using LinkID to specify a link to modify In reply to
Hi again. Just bumping this up. Can anyone tell me if I can acheive all the functions of a modify form (pre-fill correct data in fields, go into queue for approval, etc.) by passing the LinkID in the link to modify.cgi? I've looked through the archives and studied the Modify.pm file, but still no luck getting an answer.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
It is possible if your links are owned - but maybe not if they are not. Do you have to log in before you can add a link to your directory?
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Using LinkID to specify a link to modify In reply to
No -- you don't have to log in to add a link. I'm trying to do this without registered users/owned links.

Thanks for the reply.
Quote Reply
In that case, I have a feeling that you have to specify the url - but I can't find any info about it at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Using LinkID to specify a link to modify In reply to
Thanks again for the reply -- Maybe I can bypass the link owner problem by automatically assigning all links to a single (non-existent) owner, and then passing hidden values so that anyone who adds or modifies an entry is registered as this "owner"? I'm going to continue to investigate.