Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Unpublish a category?
I need to prevent a couple of categories from being published, in my directory.

Any ideas on how I can go about unpublishing a few categories, while we review and update the resources / links listed in there?
Quote Reply
Re: [shrirch] Unpublish a category? In reply to
Hi,

Unfortunately, that can't be done very easily. The simplest way, is just to set the links as "isValidated => No" for links that you don't want to show. The category will still show up on search results / the category pages - but no links would be shown.

You can hack at the core Build.pm file, so that it doesn't include certain categories - but its not very simple, and would most likely need some kind of re-coding (this may still not stop them showing up in search results though, without some pretty extensive changes)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Unpublish a category? In reply to
Given that there is no way to mass select and publish / unpublish links (would have to do some db queries), I'd rather not mess with the validation part of the code - ends up sending emails etc.

Wasnt there a category suggest plugin? Did that auto-publish the category if suggested by a user or did it need admin approval (a bit confused right now, as one of the other link directories I use has this and I think I saw this functionality in a plugin related to lsql).
Quote Reply
Re: [shrirch] Unpublish a category? In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Given that there is no way to mass select and publish / unpublish links (would have to do some db queries), I'd rather not mess with the validation part of the code - ends up sending emails etc.

Ya. it can be quite complex (although, you can validate without actually resending emails =))

I was hoping GT would add in a feature for "hiding" categories, but it seems to have been missed in this version (I asked for it back in version 2.2, and then 3.0.4, and again in 3.2 - but no-one seems to have actually added it as a feature :() .. I know there is demand - as I've done some work on other sites where they wanted to hide categories, and had to edit the main .pm files - which isn't ideal, as it means that they will have to get those changes re-implimented whenever they do any upgrades Frown)

Quote:
Wasnt there a category suggest plugin? Did that auto-publish the category if suggested by a user or did it need admin approval (a bit confused right now, as one of the other link directories I use has this and I think I saw this functionality in a plugin related to lsql).

That pulgin gives the admin an extra detail on the validation form, with details on the suggested category - so not sure that would do that you want.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!