Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Top Rated by Category
Has anyone developed a plugin for capturing and displaying on the home page the top rated link per category rather than the built in top rated in general?

As well maybe the same but for "newest links" per category.

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jun 4, 2002, 1:21 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Top Rated by Category In reply to
You wouldn't need a Plugin, just a global. I'll have a look at some possible code you could use to do this.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Top Rated by Category In reply to
Sorry, I've had a go at it, but I can't seem to work out how to pass the Category ID to the links_Links table to grab only links that are in that category Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Thats why you use the catlinks table :)
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

I did a search on the GT forum and found that this was an asked for thing prior but had not come up in awhile other than a "top sites" style mod.

I think that this is a good idea. It allows a more dynamic content on the home page without having to generate more data. Especially if both the newet per and most popular per are carried over.

Thanks for giving it a shot though.
Quote Reply
I have actually expanded on this idea a bit more now to include:
(for five different areas)
Newest:
Most Popular:
Highest Rated:
Recently Reviewed:

But the real trick comes from this part:

The top level categories are all different:
The second level are all the same:

So it looks like this:
Top 1
Sub 1, Sub 2, Sub 3, Sub 4, Sub 5
Top 2
Top 3
and so on...

The newest link for the first area would come from all Sub 1 level areas within all (or selected) Top levels:
The newest link for the second area would come from all Sub 2 level areas within all (or selected) Top levels:
The newest link for the third area would come from all Sub 3 level areas within all (or selected) Top levels:
and so on through five areas.

The most popular link for the first area would come from all Sub 1 level areas within all (or selected) Top levels:
The most popular link for the second area would come from all Sub 2 level areas within all (or selected) Top levels:
The most popular link for the third area would come from all Sub 3 level areas within all (or selected) Top levels:
and so on through five areas.
and so on through the five areas...

Any thoughts on this?
Quote Reply
bump