Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Suggest a Category
I know there is a fair bit of stuff for suggest a category (mainly old post or stuff for other versions from what I can tell)

I am looking for a pluging (so I can easily add and remove it) for LSQL 2.1

Nothing fancy, just so that when the user is adding their new link, there is a field for "suggest a category" which gets emailed to me with the new link pending email, and that is it.

Suggestion/Idea:

I would like to see as part of LSQL, a more automated way of placing the link in their suggested category (i.e. it creates it, and move the link their with the click of a button), when validating links. This would save a fair amount of time, for moving and searching for links, as well as creating new cats.

Smile

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 6, 2002, 9:51 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Suggest a Category In reply to
Hi

I have worked on this for a while, it seems very easy but in fact it is hard to do..

You need to make the category and links tables interact:

>>it creates it, and move the link their with the click of a button

That will be very troublefull since your users can mess up the whole structure.. so you need to validate the category.

So why not create a new form page .html) and place it with your templete sets

Then link to it using:

http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?p=add_category

and when the user fills and submits the form it will e-mail it to you and you can add the category right away?

I know this is not really a plug in but it is very easy and have been working fine for me for a while.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Suggest a Category In reply to
Sounds great! I like your idea..... just one problem, I am not sure on how to do some of this.

I can make the seperate suggest a category form in html, no probs.... what should I put in what table, and what should I modify in the cgi?

ThanksSmile

By the way, your site looks great... I like all the mods you have done. Have you had much luck at making your own plugins, or are your mods mainly just that, changes to the code/tables?

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
What about a "suggest a category" on the navigation bar next to "add a link". This way the suggested category form could already have to parentcategories auto filled in to where the user is currently...

Example... the user is viewing Arts->Music and does not see a categories for "Bands & Artists".... this way when they click on "suggest a category" it would come up with:

Category: Arts->Music-> [ ] and the user just fills in the last part.

This does not go to the database, but is just emailed to the admin (us). The email could show the user, and the users links perhaps.... or suggest a category could require the user to be logged in.
Quote Reply
Hi

Some of the plug ins and globals are mine.. and thanks for the comments.

Here is a step by step guide:

1- Create a templete called add_category.html and place it with your other templetes.

2- Put a form in that templete:

what i have is:

Please Fill the following form:

Your Name: Your E-Mail Address: Your Web Address :

New Category:

3- Make a link suggest a cetgory to that templete.

4- When you recieve an e-ma just go to your admin browser and add the category..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Hi

I have played wit the category global and you simply can not make it work with oter templete the way it works with add.cgi without a major code change.

What you can do is create a global that will return a list of all categories and then offer the user a field called sub category of.

that global will be:

sub {
my $tags = shift;
my $cat_db = $DB->table('Category');
$cat_db->select_options("ORDER BY Full_Name");
my @root_cats = $cat_db->select (['Full_Name'])->fetchall_list;
my $output;
foreach my $root_cat (@root_cats) {
my $url = $cat_db->as_url($root_cat);
$output .= qq~<option value="$root_cat">$root_cat~;
}
return $output;
}

Hope that works for you.
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
I am going to do the add_category.html this morning.... then look at the second part Smile

Do you think the list of categories is a prob when you have 8000+? Or does this list just product top-level cats? It looks like Top Level Cats, by the code.

I have a different (not as powerful software running my showbc.com search site. When you submit a url with that one, it lets you suggest a category at the same time. This just comes up when you are validating as a text message showing the full category path where the user added there link +the suggested cat... it wont let you actually create the category off it (so it wont ruin your database). The user is promted as an option when they are submitted a url if they would like to suggest a new cat....

Example Arts->Music->Bands & Artists->"Suggested Category"

This makes it easy for me to find exactly which category to create/or not create.

Thanks!

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 7, 2002, 8:58 AM
Quote Reply
hI

PERSONALLY..

I think till GT develope a way for users to suggest categories i will not mess with giving the users a category list..

Just let the user suggest the full path..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
I think, idea of Sooke is very good.

However, as for first implementation, it is good enough to use forms to send the category suggestions by email to the admin.

But, later for second implementation, we should use a similar idea, what Sooke suggested, using an admin interface, implemented by GT or by creating a plugin for that task.

I have this problem in my mind since a long time ago, but I never had time, to develop it.
Later, I plan to implement this feature into one of my future plugins, but as always when I do something, I would like to develop a complete solution, which contains the features below.

Using the Suggest a Category feature the user should be able to:
- suggest new Category (Create Category)
- suggest to Rename Category (Rename Category)
- suggest to Move Category within the hierarchy (Move Category)
- suggest to Edit Category Description or other info (Edit Category Description)
- suggest to Edit Category URL or other info (Edit Category URL)
- suggest new Related category (Add Related)
- suggest to Change Related category (Change Related category)
- suggest to Delete Related category (Delete Related)

Let me know your opinions about...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Suggest a Category In reply to
Excellent ideas!!

I am glad to see this may be useful to a few others and not just me.

I have suggested and addition or pluging to alex in another forum area. Not sure if you have seen it.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=190472

The things you suggested once again could be something which are optionally turned on or off.... you may just want people to be able to suggest new... not the other things, or you may want those you listed (kind of like being an editor , without being one!)

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 8, 2002, 7:04 AM