Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Stats Plugin

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Stats Plugin
Has anyone thought about or made a statistic plug-in for the admin? This would tie a few things that seem to be floating around already, and maybe add some more.

Things like:
  • Totals (hits, cats, links, editors etc)
  • Traffic (Unique vistors for the day - my web stats prog with my host is bad, this way anyone who has bad stats progs, or none at all, can get this info right out of LSQL)
  • Searches - most searched words/phrases, frequently searched items which return zero or low results... this is like theh existing search logger plug in, but it could be stuck in something like this for a complete stats plugin.
  • Custom Values - ability to set custom totals and results from the database which would come up in the same output screen as all these values... i.e. I have a coloumn which has AdCredits... it could show me the total amount of AdCredits remaining in the database etc.

Just thoughts.... Gosh I wish I knew how to write these plug-ins... time to start learning!

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 10, 2002, 2:02 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] Stats Plugin In reply to
I would like to see something like this built into LSQL with the added ability to see total number waiting verification etc.

This would be extremely useful.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Stats Plugin In reply to
I may look into this. I'll let you know what I come up with later this week.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [A.J.] Stats Plugin In reply to
Yes!!

Let me know how you make out and if we are thinking along the same lines with the particular stats available.
Quote Reply
Re: [A.J.] Stats Plugin In reply to
I am not sure if you run editors on your setup... but I'd like to have some editor stats as well, like a who's on and how much they have been up to type of thing.... I guess this could extent to all users, just like the forum does here with the who's on. Food for thought.....
Quote Reply
Let we kick this fresh thread to the top Wink
Post deleted by sooke In reply to
Quote Reply
No! Do not start a new thread!
Use this one for Stats plugin related questions, so everybody can find the subject easily!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
For completeness, I am adding to my list above:
  • Totals Hits, total today
  • Traffic (Unique vistors for the day - my web stats prog with my host is bad, this way anyone who has bad stats progs, or none at all, can get this info right out of LSQL)
  • Searches - most searched words/phrases, frequently searched items which return zero or low results... this is like theh existing search logger plug in, but it could be stuck in something like this for a complete stats plugin.
  • Custom Values - ability to set custom totals and results from the database which would come up in the same output screen as all these values... i.e. I have a coloumn which has AdCredits... it could show me the total amount of AdCredits remaining in the database etc.
  • total queries, total today
  • total users, new users today
  • top visiting user, top links submitter (user with most links)
  • total editors, number of categories with editors, number without
  • number of categories each editor currently is assigned, and which ones (title/link)
  • number of categories which have no links in them
  • number of categories which have more than X links in them
  • most popular category, least popular category
  • categories which have a directory depth greater than X.... allows you to see subcategories which are getting burried too deeply!
Quote Reply
Where would you want this accessed? Also, what about public stats?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Stats Plugin In reply to
From the admin panel would be the minimum.

I am thinking there could be another html page where anyone (registered user / editor / admin) and each would see a different set of stats, depending on what you allow them to see. I know this is getting complicated, but nothing like dreaming!!

Example, for every possible stat you should be able to set User/Editor/Admin Yes or No.

Total hits < > User < > Editor < > Admin
Total users < > User < > Editor < > Admin

Alternatively, there could be tags for a new html page....

<%ifEditor> Show editor tages andn stats<%endif%><%if User%> show stuff user allowed to see<%end if%> etc....

Thinking of writing something?Smile

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 26, 2002, 12:37 AM
Quote Reply
Could be. I'm gonna get my science coursework out of the way next week hopefully, and that will leave me with a couple of months before my exams to fill ;) I'll keep you updated in this thread.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Stats Plugin In reply to
This thread has the "watch thread" very on, beleive me.

Course work getting in the way of progress though. (just kidding).Wink Glad to here you might write one.

It seems a few people may be writing one now, or at least interest in writing one... we may just see a stats plug in after all. Great stuff!
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Stats Plugin In reply to
I've started working on this....you can see an early screenshot....
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Stats Plugin In reply to
oooooo, YES! Now I am getting excited!!! Good work Paul.Smile
Quote Reply
Paul,

Very impressive plugin! I think many of us wanted something similar like the stats in the GForum! Good work!
Good beginning, altough there would be a lot ideas what to improve in it Wink

Keep up the good work!
Waiting the 1.0 release version.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Apr 29, 2002, 12:34 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Stats Plugin In reply to
Quote:
I think many of us wanted something similar like the stats in the GForum

This is true! Are you thinking of looking at stuff like this for this Plugin Paul?
Quote Reply
Guess I gotta now :)
Quote Reply
Well, what you are doing so far is fantasic, don't get me me wrong or feel pressured ...... but yes please Wink

The more stats the better, I reckon..... such a useful tool for medium to large directories in particular!

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 29, 2002, 1:18 PM
Quote Reply
Paul,

If you will aggree with me, I will add my stats to your plugin, which will display stats for future users of my Expirator plugin (of course, only if this does not disturb you).

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Suggestion: Sections needing attention such as waiting Validation for links, link updates & reviews would be better under a separate heading so this data can be seen at a glance.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Paul, I guess you're sleeping it off in the UK right now, but we are still thinking about stats plug-ins here in CanadaWink

Anyways, how would the most popular categories be determined? A sum of the hits of all the links in any one category? or a sum of all the votes, or a sum of all the rankings? or all three?
Quote Reply
I suppose that is a bit misleading...it is just the category that has the most links in.
Quote Reply
Ok....

I have a basic plugin done. There are a couple of issues. Firstly you can't get stats for things like the newest user etc as the users table doesn't hold timestamp information. I could do it by adding a new table and adding hooks all over the place but is it worth it?

Also I thought about search stats...isn't that what the search logger plugin is for?
Quote Reply
Good man Paul.

Regarding user stats... maybe its one to ponder over for a later version, I agree though its a 'nice to have'. My directory is Editor driven, so as far as users go, anything about editors is more useful to me anyways. But I have a custom field which deals with my editors such is isEditor 'Yes','No'.

Search Logger: Yes, Yes, Yes

I see what your getting at, about duplication here. And this of course could be left as seperate stats, but if you wanted to have an all swinging, all dancing, all inclusive stats (everthing in the one place), this where it ultimatley should be.

Anything and everything to do with the searches going on in your directory certainly is stats plugin worthy, I think at least.

After all, it is a search engine and directory :-)

Number of searches (daily, total, average etc), most searched. This is useful, and is an improvement from a stats point of view, even if only slight, on the current search logger.

At present pugdogs search logger is great! (I especially like the tags you can use to build a top 10 searches list) But, there are some probs with it displaying the latest searches from the table - I only see the first page of the table, not the latest or last.

I will be happy with whatever you go with.... Version 1 can always be turned into version 1.1 eh?

What do you have in it now?

Last edited by:

sooke: Apr 30, 2002, 9:36 AM
> >