Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Spam with ContactPage 2.0

Quote Reply
Spam with ContactPage 2.0
Hi,

Im using Ultranerds ContactPage v 2.0.
Each of my members who have their own contact page is getting the same copy/paste message.
I know the program has a IP Banning feature, but it doesnt help prevent spam, and Im unsure of how efective that is since IPs can be dynamic.
I currently have over 120 Blocked IPs, all in one text line.
Can I somehow prevent the spam? Is there anything better?

Thanks,

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] Spam with ContactPage 2.0 In reply to
Ask Andy, he added a line that required referrer into the script. Also, have you thought of adding CAPTCHA?
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Spam with ContactPage 2.0 In reply to
Hi Alba,

Thanks for the reply.

Referer might be half the problem... As people can and do sit at their workstations and email one after another...
My clients are getting offers from local cable companies, universities, travel companies, restaurants, etc etc... Not the common pills, sex, p0rn etc...
I think that something along the lines of Max_Emails_Sent_in_24_Hours=4 or something, would be better, at least in my case.

Captcha is with another plugin which I dont have. (I bought the more expensive one hoping it would be better).
This plugin works great, Ive customized it to where I have it just how I want it, (okay not a whole lot, but it just looks really integrated into the site), and since its a live and quite active site, Id hate to start trying and testing on it once more.

Thanks Ill look into it anyway,

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] Spam with ContactPage 2.0 In reply to
Hi,

One possible solution, is to make it a requirement for people sending emails via the contact form, is to require them to be logged in before they can use the contact.cgi script. You can do this pretty easily,by editing contact.cgi. find:

Code:
if ($IN->param('ID')) {
print Links::SiteHTML::display('contact_form', $link);
} else {
print Links::SiteHTML::display('contact_form');
}

..and change to:

Code:
if ($IN->param('ID')) {
if (!$USER) {
print Links::SiteHTML::display('login', { url => $CFG->{db_cgi_url}."/contact.cgi?ID=".$IN->param('ID') } );
} else {
print Links::SiteHTML::display('contact_form', $link);
}
} else {
if (!$USER) {
print Links::SiteHTML::display('login', { url => $CFG->{db_cgi_url}."/contact.cgi" } );
} else {
print Links::SiteHTML::display('contact_form');
}
}

Alternatively, the security image (or "captcha" plugin) could do the job too. I was thinking about adding a security image into the plugin (similar to my Add_RandImage plugin) - but I havn't had time to do this yet, as its been a pretty busy last couple of months (what with my other job too :().

Anyway, hopefully my solution above will help.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Spam with ContactPage 2.0 In reply to
Hi,

The new version of ContactPage now has a security image feature built in. You can download it form the Members Area now (if you already own it). If not, then I'm afraid the price has gone up to $30 (it was quite a bit of work getting this security image stuff in place, but I'm sure those who use it, will agree its a pretty cool feature =))

For anyone interested, here is the link: http://www.ultranerds.com/...ins/Contact_Page_L7/ (I'm also going to post this on the official thread, but thought you guys may wanna see it first=))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!