Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Sitestats and Extrastats question

Quote Reply
Sitestats and Extrastats question
I'm thinking of purchasing both plugins but I wanted to know if I could use the counters on other pages of my site that aren't part of LinksSQL

I switched to LinksSQL from another links script that I never deleted because it still receives good traffic. I needed to track of impressions to my whole site!

Thanks,

Craven
Quote Reply
Re: [craven32] Sitestats and Extrastats question In reply to
Hi,

SiteStats is the one that tracks impressions and you can use it on any pages - you just need to put the code on every page that you want to track. Note that it is easier to use the lists and graphs if you have a unique identifier on each page.

Laura.
Quote Reply
Just a note - you obviously can't include counters, graphs, etc on the non-linksSQL pages. (Maybe you could with SSI).
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Sitestats and Extrastats question In reply to
Hi Laura,

My old site had roughly 5000 pages and the new one has over 40,000. If I used Identifiers on each page wouldn't this put a heavy load on my server?

As far as displaying graphs on my old pages is concerned it really doesn't matter as long as I can at least track the traffic.

Craven
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, there will be some increased load on the server as you have an extra script running for every page load. How much this affects your server will depend on your server. There are people using the plugin who have very busy sites. If you are really worried about increasing server load then you'll need to get a tracking system that is remotely hosted.

Laura.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Sitestats and Extrastats question In reply to
I just had a few more questions!

If I have top sites and top category tags displayed on static pages will they update automatically or would I need to rebuild? If not how could this be done so the lists would automatically update on static pages?

How is the layout of the lists controlled? Do they use the link.html file?

Is it easy to customize the looks and layout of the graphs?

Thanks,

Craven
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If I have top sites and top category tags displayed on static pages will they update automatically or would I need to rebuild? If not how could this be done so the lists would automatically update on static pages?[/quote]

No - if you want to display lists on static pages then they will update when the page is rebuilt - as with any other global. If you want the list to automatically update on static pages I think you could use ssi but you'd need to ask on the forum for help with that as I don't have any experience of using it - I know that there are some experts on the forum though.

The lists use a separate template - which you could configure to be the same as link.html if you wanted.

The graphs are each in a template - so it is possible to completely customise them if you want. (The templates are quite complicated though.)

Laura.
The UK High Street