Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

pagebuilder newbie questions

Quote Reply
pagebuilder newbie questions
OK I've been able to build some basic pages with the pagebuilder plugin. Now I want to move on to some more complex pages which is why I got the plugin.

But I can't quite figure it out. My searches on the subject have not lessened my confusion so I'd appreciate the help.

I'd like to build static pages that include outside content as well as category links for certain LSQL categories. Should I be using a simple page or a category page for this. I'm guessing category but what tags would I use?

Also I'd like to build static review pages which list more than one review on a page. I tried the sub I found in the forum but I don't think I have the right tags in the html because all I get is this string

Code:
1793 1 0 1340 3 0 17827 6 0 1819 5 0 10156
I used the follwing in the template.
Code:

<%get_review_list%>
<%loop review_list%>
<%Review_LinkID%>
<%ReviewID%>
<%Review_Subject%
<%endloop%>
Thanks for the help.
CCUnet
my Christian web

Last edited by:

ccunet: Aug 12, 2003, 1:41 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] pagebuilder newbie questions In reply to
You are right, I've got problems with the pagebuilder also.

Maybe we must ask Yogi to make a more desciptive helppage with examples. So that the "newbies" can have profit of this plugin.

ron.
Quote Reply
Hi

the first thing you have to ask yourself: what kind of page do you want to build. Is it a page perl link, a page per category, or a page per review?

Then, depending on the kind of page you want to build, you can put different content on the page: e.g. a 'link' type of page might contain all the reviews for that link. Or, a 'category' type page might contain all the links for that category.

I am afraid I haven't quite understood what you are trying to build. Maybe the above helps, if not, could you post more details of what precisely you are trying to do.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] pagebuilder newbie questions In reply to
Yogi,

Thanks for the help. I am trying to build "a 'category' type page might contain all the links for that category." and a page with links to all the reviews.

Sorry if I was not clear.

In Reply To:
I am afraid I haven't quite understood what you are trying to build. Maybe the above helps, if not, could you post more details of what precisely you are trying to do.

CCunet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
For every page type, there are many different tags available. Some of them are listed at the top of the corresponding template. In order to see all the tags available, you can put

<%GT::Template::dump%>

at the bottom of the template.

As for the review page: if you want to print links to all reviews, you need to use the global (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rum.cgi?post=232632;) on a 'simple' page.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Yogi,

Thanks again for the help I had tried to use the global found at the link you suggested but couldn't figure out the tag and html to use and was using a review rather than a simple page.

FYI for others Below is the html and tags I used to get this page

http://www.mychristianweb.com/guide/linkreviews.shtml

Code:
note:line breaks in the link added for readabilty <%get_review_list%>
<%loop review_list%>
<p><a href="http://www.mysite.com/cgi-dir/
jump.cgi?ID=<%Review_LinkID%
>" target="_blank"><%Title%></a>
Rating - <%Review_Rating%>
<br><%Review_ByLine%>
<%Review_Subject%><br>
<%Review_Contents%><br>
Reviewed By:<%Review_GuestName%> on <%Review_Date%></p>
<%endloop%>

In Reply To:
As for the review page: if you want to print links to all reviews, you need to use the global (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rum.cgi?post=232632;) on a 'simple' page.

CCUnet
my Christian web

Last edited by:

ccunet: Aug 13, 2003, 8:37 AM
Quote Reply
Yogi,

the pagebuilder plugin is great the more I use it the more I wanto do with it.

A couple of questions.
  1. Can I call tags like <%category%> from a simple page when I try i get an unknown tag error. I am trying to get a list of all the categories as they are listed on the LSQL index page.
  2. Similarly I'm trying to call this
    <a target="_blank" class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"> <%Title%>
    from a simple page but I get the unknown tag error again.
    I am trying to build a list of all links with isPriority =Yes

Is it that these tags are just not accesible from simple pages?

Thanks for the great plugin and help.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi,

I must say I'm really happy with the pagebuilder plug-in. I've built five or six simple pages that work great. I'm now moving on to the reason why I bought it (although it obviously will enable me to add other functions later that I haven't thought of Wink) :
I would like to display A page where the each editor presents himself/herself.

I have added the appropriate fields in the user tables like editor_presentation_text and editor_presentation_title and I would like to display these in the page.

I started (newbie style) by adding :
this in the url :
page.cgi?d=1&page=editor_presentation&editor=test_editor
(where editor_presentation is the name of the html template)

then in the page :
<%if editor_presentation_title%><%editor_presentation_title%><%endif%> and without the "if" tags I get an unknown tag error.

I guess I need to do a loop but I can't get anything right.

Could you point me in the right direction Blush ?
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] pagebuilder newbie questions In reply to
Try using

<%GT::Template::dump%>

on the page to see what tags you can use.

On any editor page, you should have the following tags at your disposal:
Quote:
- all tags of the page definition
- all tags of a user
- title_linked
- title_unlinked
- next, next_url
- prev, prev_url
- sub_page_loop
- link_loop
- editor_categories (loop)
- editor_total_categories
- editor_total_subcategories

I hope this helps.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
No Frown

I suppose to display editor information I need to call a loop on editors and then pick the specific editor or something so that I can direct all following calls that I will make like this editor's presentation text that are specific to that editor. I need a pointer in the right direction.

John

PS I had read your "about page" and the editor template header that you took the above tags from but none of them help me connect to a specific editor, hence my question Unsure I'll try the GT dump...
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] pagebuilder newbie questions In reply to
Probably a stupid question: did you set the page type to 'Editor'?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Yes I did, but don't worry, I can do pretty stupide things. I just checked to make sure... Wink

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi,

I've just been trying out the GT Dump on my editor type page.

There doesn't seem to be anything coming up that concerns the editor apart from the username which is displayed by using <%editor%>. I also found a value 'page_view_permission' that's equal to 'guest'. Is there an issue about me wanting to display information from a user's profile and permissions ? I'm using GT Community I was wondering whether that may be an issue.

I read in one of your posts that <%display_Email%> should bring up the email of the specified user but this won't work for me. Well basically nothing about an editor appears !

Could you let me know how to call specific user fields from the user profile when they are an editor please ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Any chance of getting some feedback on the above question. I'm a bit stuck here and I was hoping you could at least point me in the right direction ? Wink

Thanks, John
Significant Media