Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
PageBuilder for Dummies
I just bought and installed the PageBuilder. Now what do I do next? I tried building a page but the page has nothing except the test I put in as the title (showing up as <h1>title). What am I doing wrong? I think I may beed a step by step tutorial on how to costruct a basic page using the PB. For starters, I'd just like to have the "about us" page or a similar page done through it. What I want it to be able to create multiple pages using the template of my LSQL website. So that when I change something in my header and footer files for example, it will affect all of my pages (not just the ones that LSQL builds without the PB).

So, my question is where do I put the content of the page that I am building? And how do I tell PB to put this content into my regular template?

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I went through the PB pages in this forum and everyone seems to be getting the hang of it in no time so I'm sure Yogi did a grand job as always. I need some support though :(

Thank you

If you love cats - visit www.TheCatSite.com

Visit my LinkSQL based Cat Site - www.Meowhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Anat] PageBuilder for Dummies In reply to
I don't know if you have seen it, but there is an 'About' menu item for the plugin, which contains some basic explanation.

In order to build an 'about us' page, you need to do the following:

- add a page through the PageBuilder menu 'Add Page'. Set all the fields to values of your liking. Important ones are 'Build Directory' and 'Build Filename'.
- edit the template, which will be built in the 'pagebuilder' template directory, and customize it. There's a link to all the pagebuilder templates in the plugin menu. You can use your headers/footers on all pagebuilder templates by including them as you would on a normal template.
- run 'Build Pages' from the plugin menu

I hope this helps.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] PageBuilder for Dummies In reply to
Aha, I see what you mean. Sorry for being so daft... I had a sort of CMS in my mind... I will go now and try to implement it for simple pages. Once I work that out - I will try the more advance features.
I think I just haven't dealt with LSQL for so long (which is a compliment to the system, as my site is growing and thriviing without any work behind the scences, just validating links). I just forgot how this whole thing works really. My mind was on other things - including a brand new baby :D Hopefully I won't have to bother you again Ivan. Thanks!

Quote Reply
Ok - I think I got the hang of it - for simple pages anyway. Question - can I create a PHP file with the page builder?

I have a photo contest running on my site that uses a PHP script. I need to create a page with a PHP extention. Is that possible?

Quote Reply
Building PHP pages is simple: just put the .php filename in the 'Build Directory' field, e.g. contest.php

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Thanks - I added the extension in the 'build filename' and it works great.

I do have a problem now though. In the field "parent page" I only see root + two of the pages I created. One of the pages created doesn't show up in that drop down menu. I see the page when I click the "List All" link and it gets built just fine - no problem there. But now that I want to have some pages as sub-pages for that one specific page, I can't. It's a simple page, as are all my pages so far. Any idea why this may happen?

Quote Reply
That's very strange. If you PM me your admin area access details, I can have a look, if you like.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Thanks for the quick reply and help Ivan!

I've managed to build simple pages - awesome! Now I'd like to try something more sophisticaed but I'm not sure how to go about it. Here's what I want to do (if at all possible).

On my site, some listings (links - we have a lot of added details to links so we call them listings) have a detailed page and some do not. A detailed page is an upgrade that comes at an added fee. We have a page listing all of the links that have a detailed page and linking to them:
http://www.meowhoo.com/pages/mepages.html

Can I automate this with PageBuilder? Can it generate a list of all listings that have IsDetailed turned to yes on my directory? Which page type should I use? If I use a simple page type, how do I tell it to run through the database and pick out only the ones that have IsDetailed="yes"? I tried doing a link page type but looks like it wants to build a page for each of my links, which is not my intention. I just want one page that lists some of my links based on the IsDetailed parameter. How do I do that?

Quote Reply
 Hi Anat, theres a faily extensive Page Builder message ( 187 posts ) at

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

which covers most of what you want

But basically you set it up like this, make sure you have it set to static - no and dynamic - yes.
When you happy with the out come you can change it.

Page ID 19
Page Type - Link
Page Name - Detailed
Page Title - Detailed
Parent Page - Root
Page Root - 0
Breadcrumb Type - Simple
Page Condition - isDetailed = Yes ( Change to suit your column )
Meta Description
Meta Keywords
Build Static - No
Build Directory
Build Filename - <%LinkID%>.html
Display Dynamic - Yes
View Permissions - Everybody
File Type HTML
MIME Type

Hope this helps.

Regards

minesite

Last edited by:

minesite: Feb 9, 2004, 3:13 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] PageBuilder for Dummies In reply to
I will have a look at that thread - it's just so looooooooong and so far the first 5-6 pages didn't really help.

I tried what you suggested but it generates an error message page -
http://www.meowhoo.com/...ge.cgi?page=Mepages2

I was under the impression that choosing "link" for the page type means that PB tries to create a page for each of my links based on the condition provided. Isn't it the case? I need just one page created - with its content based on a condition.

Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] PageBuilder for Dummies In reply to
Just to add that I just finished going through that whole looong thread Crazy and could't find an answer there...

Quote Reply
CONDITIONAL PAGE BUILDING IN PAGEBUILDER

or how to build pages depending on variables and database fields.

Anat;

You are correct, pick link type in Yogi's Pagebuilder, and get the condition right.

The conditional language documentation is hard to find
Possibilities are:

a eq b or a = '1' or a = 1, etc with or without quotes.
I have posted some that will help you below.

I looked up some examples I use.

Figuring these out took quite a while. Use them well!

Page Condition BigPic <> '' Page Condition GameInfo = Yes
Page Condition ItemType = article

Then in link.html, you set the link to format and LINK (different directory) differently depending on ItemType, using IF statements <%If ItemType = article %>..article link type here.. <%else%> nornal link type here <%Endif%>.
That's the BIG trick;)

By the way, the help notes say...

" You can enter a simple page condition SQL style (this is used for static building, as well as for dynamic displaying). This could e.g. be isPremium = Yes if you want to build/display only pages for links which have isPremium set to Yes). "

Last edited by:

webslicer: Feb 9, 2004, 2:24 PM
Post deleted by minesite In reply to
Quote Reply
Hi Anne

you need to define a simple page, and the use a global to get the links you want displayed.

The global <%get_isDetailed_loop%> could be:
Code:
sub {
my $table = $DB->table('Links');
$table->select_options('ORDER BY Title ASC');
my $isDetailed = $table->select({isDetailed=>'Yes'})->fetchall_hashref;
return { isDetailed_loop => $isDetailed };
}
You would then use this global as follows:
Code:
<%get_isDetailed_loop%>
<%loop isDetailed_loop%>
<%include link.html%>
<%endloop%>

I hope this helps.

Ivan
-----

Last edited by:

yogi: Feb 10, 2004, 7:12 AM
Quote Reply
Ahhh... the good old globals! I'll give it a try. I'm not a programmer so working with those is always a challenge for me. I just copy and paste what you give me. A case of the keen of sight leading the blind Angelic

Thank you slicer for that info - I think I need a simple page like Ivan suggested as I only want one page create and not a page for each link.

Last edited by:

Anat: Feb 10, 2004, 12:48 AM
Quote Reply
Well call me "not surprised" but it's not working. I probably missed on something that looks very trivial to you people Blush

I added the global and put the code in the template but the page comes out blank -
http://www.meowhoo.com/meowpages.html

Ivan, I will PM you the login details to my admin interface again. But if you can please explain here what was wrong and how you fixed it I would appreciate it. I want to create a few more pages like this, based on the same principle, so maybe if I figure out how to do it again myself, I won't have to bug you in the future (no promises though ;) )

Quote Reply
There was a bug in the global I gave you. I corrected the global in the post above (and on your site).

I also changed the global to sort by Title instead of by ID.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Your the best! Thank you!