Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[New Plugin] Duplicate_Check

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlPod] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
I find it interesting that both this plugin and the other one you made (I can;t remember which it was) don't work on my site.
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
Neither on mine..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
Get a decent server Wink Honestly, I'm not sure why it won't work on your servers. If cobalt were clevre, they would let Perl programmers get access to error logs per hosting account, so we can debug scripts easier! Either that, or let fatalsToBrowser work, and don't bog it down with crappy default 500 IS Errors! Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
>>
Get a decent server Honestly, I'm not sure why it won't work on your servers. If cobalt were clevre, they would let Perl programmers get access to error logs per hosting account, so we can debug scripts easier! Either that, or let fatalsToBrowser work, and don't bog it down with crappy default 500 IS Errors!
<<

Sorry I don't agree with that. If your code is good it will work on any server. Cobalt RAQs use linux and apache and can create logs the same as any server, perhaps it is a case that you don't know enough to know where to look for them. There are also several other ways to debug scripts which you never seem to use judging by the posts I see from you.

I think it is very rude to claim that the users of your plugins are at fault when it really seems to be the code. Is that how you speak to paying customers? "Ugh your server is crap, go away"

Last edited by:

PerlPod: Aug 22, 2002, 3:00 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlPod] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
I'm not complaining about the users choice in server...I just personally don't like Cobalts. There should be no reason why the plugin shouldn't work Unsure It works fine on non-=Cobalt servers. Whatare these other debug methods that you speak about? I have never found a way to debug a script on a Cobalt server, as the error logs are normally only accessable by the administrator, and fatalsToBrowser does not seem to work Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
>>
as the error logs are normally only accessable by the administrator
<<

No they aren't

tail -50 /var/log/httpd/error_log

If there are no vhost logs it simply means the administrator didn't set them up in apache

Last edited by:

PerlPod: Aug 22, 2002, 3:25 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

>> Get a decent server Wink Honestly

I just wanna say that i have been on this server for a little over a year, I have over 40 scripts running, over 8 plug ins (and i have tried every plug in out there just to say what it does ).. and the only plug ins i have trouble with are yours..

No why I have no idea, I am no perl expert but i think its something to do with the code you are writting.. Wink
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
Does the plugin install at all?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
The plugins install; they just don't work.

Every other plugin I've plugged in works so you really can't blame the server....
Quote Reply
I think its just a matter of printing headers.

Add:

print $IN->header();

before

print Links::SiteHTML::display('error', { error => $error_show });

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
Yes it does...

But when a users tries to submit a URL they get an error message regardless of weither its Dublicate or not.
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
I find it amazing that someone takes the time to write a plugin, then out of kindness, offers to everyone for FREE, and users gripe and complain that it doesn't work on their site or they don't like it. If I was the author, I'd tell you to write it yourself if you weren't satisfied. That makes others not want to share stuff for free. When someone offers code for free, they most likely don't want to provide free support on that code... If you ask nicely, they may be willing to help, but demanding a fix is ridiculous.

Just my opinion.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
Very true. If it doesn't work, they can always use the global that quango wrote originally Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I'm not griping. I am merely pointing out a problem with the plugins. I have great appreciation for those who write and make available their plugins...I just think they might like to know when they don't work and under what circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlPod2] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
Thank you for your help Andy, Ivan & Paul, but there is still a problem.

Duplicate URLs are not accepted but when "Image" is not the value "links" I am still not able to add anything.

I need this plugin to only do it's "job" when "Image" is a link. We are very close...
Quote Reply
Hi

I do not even use that plug in and i have no future use for it...

I use a Unique URL table field which does the job for me .. (although it generates an ugly error)..

The reason I tested it is to find a solution.. and that is what this GT forum stood for for years and that is what makes it so special for every users ..
Regards
KaTaBd

Quote Reply
Hi...please find attached an updated version of the plugin. Hopefully this one will work on a Cobalt server (I don't have one myself, so its pretty hard to test). Please let me know how it goes Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
What has changed between versions?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [New Plugin] Duplicate_Check In reply to
Just added in the header, to help it work with Cobalt servers Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Looks like it works!! Nice going!

Now about the Count Impressions....and the empty cat seems to work except that once you have the list and click on a hyperlink, you get an error.
Quote Reply
Not really sure what you mean, you should always be printing a header before parsing a template irrespective of whether it is a raq or not.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Looks like it works!! Nice going!

Now about the Count Impressions....and the empty cat seems to work except that once you have the list and click on a hyperlink, you get an error.

Mmm..with empty cat plugin, are you using page.php? (i.e the PHP version?)...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
ooops...no. Are you suppose to?
Quote Reply
Yeah, thats why it says it requires version 2.1 Wink I suppose I should put something on the download page...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
You'll need to specify that you need to be using the PHP version. I have version 2.1 but I don't use PHP at all (yet).
> > > >