Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Drop Down Search Options
Ok, after hours of trying, I give up. Maybe someone here can come up with the answer.
I know its been referenced (sort of) in other posts, but couldnt find the right answer.

On home page I have the regular search box.
All links have a "isVideo" or "isArticle" or "isWhatever" property, marked Yes or No. (Default is No).

Im trying to place a drop down box so the visitor has the regular keyword search option, but can be more specific with searching only the links marked as "isVideo" or "isArticle".

Ive tried creating the drop down box, but its not passing the right syntax. Check boxes work fine, but it would get too long of a list, drop down would be much better.

Here is one of the many codes Ive tried:

<select size="1" name="Search">
<option selected>All</option>
<option value="isDoctor=Yes">Doctors</option>
<option value="isVideo=Yes">Videos</option>
<option value="isArticle=Yes">Articles</option>
<option value="isDeseases=Yes">Deseases</option>
<option value="isGallery=Yes">Picture Gallery</option>
</select>

The output I want is:
search.cgi?query=laparoscopic&isVideo=Yes&Go=Search

Im getting:
search.cgi?query=laparoscopic&Search=isVideo%3DYes&Go=Search

I know I have to rename the dropdown to something, but even if I do, the syntax I get on the search string is somehow not correct.
Also, are the %3D accepted? Its suppossed to be an equal sign...

Help,

Thank you in advance.

Juan Carlos
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] Drop Down Search Options In reply to
Hi Juan,

You cannot do this unless you pre-hook into the search function to amend the values into isDoctor=Yes, etc because the formfield - Search has muti-values(not multi-names)

Can you try to change the form fields into checkbox? Something like &lt; input type=checkbox value="Yes" name="isDoctor"&gt;... With each checkbox checked, when they are submitted, you will have the correct url isDoctor=Yes...

Hope that helps

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [tandat] Drop Down Search Options In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I know youre correct. Checkboxes or radio buttons work fine. But where I want to place these options is on the front page top left corner, so having some 9 options isnt "nice", at least practical. Thats why I wanted to place a drop down box.

But Ill try to find more info on what youve said and see if I can somehow fix or do it.

Thanks,

Juan Carlos