Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

PPC Banner Script...

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
PPC Banner Script...
Ok, not sure if this is best posted here, or Discussions. Basically, i just wanna get some feedback on a script I'm working on. Its a PPC (Pay Per Click) banner rotation script. People top-up their accounts with credit, and then the admin can decide how much each click is worth. So far it tracks impressions and clicks, and has a real-time count down of the credit they have left. All I really need to know is the demand for this kind of script as a plugin for Links SQL. It is PHP, so it may be a little harder to make a plugin out of...but I'm determined to make it work ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [A.J.] PPC Banner Script... In reply to
I'll give you a firm "maybe". I have not decided if I am going to use banners or not on my site yet. If I am, I would certainly be interested. (otherwise I will be going for the full pay-per-click plug-ing which is a little out of my reach right now!!)

The plug in your are thinking about, is it/will it be designed to be stand-alone, or work along side adcycle?

Nice to see someone thinking about plug-ins which make money by the way!! Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Re: [sooke] PPC Banner Script... In reply to
It is a complete PHP script, which will just have an extra part to hopefully integrate with Links SQL Plugins manager. At the moment I have an advertisers page, and an admin one. I am going to be releasing this as a normal script, as I think there will be quite a lot of demand for it. The plugin for Links SQL was really an afterthought, as I would have liked top use something like that on a site of mine a while ago.

Anyway, I may be asking for some beta-testers soon. Just putting the finishing touches to the admin panel, writing the install script, and writing the readme. If anyone else in interested, please make your interest know...the more the merrier ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ok, you have #1 vote here, I could install, but not sure how good a tester I might be (knowldege of perl is currently 2/10!). So hopefully you get some guru's in to help you test. I am better when it is closer to final product I think! Thanks.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
>>>(knowldege of perl is currently 2/10!). <<<

LOL..thats ok, cos its PHP Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>>(knowldege of perl is currently 2/10!).<<

Ooo he's just got the edge on you there Andy Cool j/k
Quote Reply
Ha ha, no worries.... you knew what I meant... actually my php is improving... I am not bad with ASP so the transition was natural. As for perl... just looks like a load of funny characters to me! But I am learning slowly....

Wink
Quote Reply
Yeah, PHP is a great language. The only thing that is annoying is that it is hard for setting up to run PHP scripts via cron/from a telnet session....not sure why they made it so hard to do this. Otherwise, the basic principals are much like Perl, just the more complex things that are obviously more different.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, I've got a beta ready now. Its not in plugin form yet, or got a readme, but I just want to see if anyone is interested in testing the general functions of it. You don't need to be a genius to use it... should all be very straight forward (at least I've made it as simple as possible) Wink Send me an email at webmaster@ace-installer.com if you want to beta test it (you get a free copy at the end Smile)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi, Andy.... it sounds good, but I still don't know how helpful I would be to you.... (lack of perl knowledge and still working out LSQL).... perhaps when you get closer to the plug-in stage?? You might not need much testing by then of course...
Quote Reply
Ok, I'll post here when I get the Plugin beta ready ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] PPC Banner Script... In reply to
Sounds good! By the way... have you ever written a plug-in for suggest a category?
Quote Reply
Nope...still getting the hang of plugins. Looks like I will have my hands full with ideas when I get this one done Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I think the time has come for me to really knuckle down and try and work these plug-ins out, as well as lean pearl.

I guess looking at an existing but simple plugin is the way to go.

This being your first plug-in, have you found any particular reference most useful for learning this?
Quote Reply
There is not really that much documentation around. The best one I have found so far is a walk through of how GT made the 'Search Cache' plugin....its in the Plugin category...can't remember exactly how I got to it though...sorry Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thats ok, I know exactly the one you are talking about, and beleive or not I have even read some of it... it just did not mean anything to me first time round... I am going to read again now. I have read a great deal of post in the forum, but there are just so many of them! Not that I am complaining, I think this is great! I am just not sure what will work on Links SQL 2.1 or was actually intended for an older version only. This is where my lack of knowlege of the language is holding me back.

Anyhow... good luck with finishing the ppc plug in... I might send a question or two your way as I try to learn how these plug-ins work, if you don't mind... the not so blind leading the very blindWink
Quote Reply
The other thing to do is look at the other released plugins. Each of my plugins is slightly different, as I found out more (or alex changed) the way the plugins (especially the installer) worked.

Sometimes you just need to look at all the plug ins, and compare what they do, and figure out the "middle of the road" solution that works for you.

The changes with the 2.1.0 release, make all the user scripts work more like plugins, so that helps with the logic a bit.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi. I've got the Plugin done now. Its a 'lite' version of what I really want form the end product...but I thought I would release it without too many features so most people can afford it. If you don't mind waiting a week or so...then a much more feature packed version will be coming out soon (obviously cost more, so this version will stay available). Anyway. I've started a new thread at;

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum_view_collapsed;

If oyu have any comments/questions please feel free to PM me or post in the above threads.

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy, have you thought about including a CPM model in there as well?
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoken] PPC Banner Script... In reply to
May sound stupid, but whats CPM? LOL. I'm not that up to date with advertising slang ;) Only what I need to know...i.e PPC Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Its Canadian Postal Museum isn't it?....I think he wants you to create a model out of matchsticks Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] PPC Banner Script... In reply to
In Reply To:
Its Canadian Postal Museum isn't it?....I think he wants you to create a model out of matchsticks Wink
AS much help as usual ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Sorry, it's a pay per banner impression sales thing - sold in 1 thousand lots. For example, you charge $3CPM for 1,000 banner impressions - someone would purchase 10,000 banner impressions for $30.

If you were to include it, it should work pretty much the same way as your deductions for the clicks, except it would be displaying the remaining account balance based on the number of impressions the advertiser has left.
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoken] PPC Banner Script... In reply to
Yeah, I could modify it to do that rather than PPC. I'll have a look sometime this week. Bit bogged down with coursework at the moment Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
 Doesn't adcycle already have CPC and CPM?

How is your plug-in different than adcycle?

thanks

Michael

http://www.adultdvdlinks.com

Michael Carpenter

Adult DVD Links
Adult Detective
> >