Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

how in the world does rate.cgi know you voted?

Quote Reply
how in the world does rate.cgi know you voted?
We are running rate.cgi publicly - anybody can rate a link and I tried it on a new browser with no cookies and it still says I voted before. How in the world can it know this fact? Is it like IP tracked on the server or something?
Quote Reply
Re: [scorpioncapital] how in the world does rate.cgi know you voted? In reply to
It records your IP address in the database, and if it finds a match for your IP, along with that Link ID, it will show you an error.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] how in the world does rate.cgi know you voted? In reply to
wow, wouldn't this be a big problem on a high traffic site with hundreds of thousands of ip's getting stored in the DB and having to do a lookup?

Is there a way to convert the code to use cookies instead?
Quote Reply
Re: [scorpioncapital] how in the world does rate.cgi know you voted? In reply to
Sure. You could just modify Jump.pm. Probably not even an hours work.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
The IP's are stored for a day or two (don't precisely remember), and deleted afterwards (meaning you should be able to vote again after two days). So even with high traffic sites, your database will not be filled...

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] how in the world does rate.cgi know you voted? In reply to
Not totally true yogi. Don't you have to run nph-build.cgi to clean this out? I seem to remember seeing codes to do this task when I was going through Build.pm/nph-build.cgi a couple of days ago...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk