Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible!

Quote Reply
Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible!
Just so people know, it is possible to change the current LSQL 2.1.2 from a 1-5 ranking to 1-10. I would post the changes here.. but its quite long winded.. and would take forever to document Frown

I've attached the modified Review.pm file, but you still need to do quite a bit of modifications to the review_*.html template....

Just thought I would let people know it is possible, and if you know what to do.. it can be done in less than 2 hours :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible! In reply to
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=241365#241365

Wink

Edit: Andy you still need to make sure that you're allowing for a rating of 10 - you have a ^\d$ in your code.

Last edited by:

afinlr: Sep 18, 2003, 4:53 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible! In reply to
I think you'll find my version better Tongue Example of use;

http://cancunandrivieramaya.com/...ew.cgi?ID=39&d=1

The graph goes from 1-10, and the stars also work from 1-10 (using half stars) Cool

Thanks for the link though.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Smile So does mine.

http://www.theukhighstreet.com/Truprint_R1182/

And I think that I have written down all the steps needed that you said would take forever to document Wink - if I've missed anything out, please let me know.

Last edited by:

afinlr: Sep 19, 2003, 4:35 AM
Quote Reply
How does LSQL do ratings if the standard rate.cgi goes from 1-10 and the review rating goes from 1-5? Does it like compile the 2 together - seems that it wouldn't work at all.

E.g. rate.cgi give it a 10

review.cgi forced to give it a 5 so it is average of 7.5...
Quote Reply
Re: [scorpioncapital] Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible! In reply to
The review ratings are totally seperate from the rate.cgi stuff. They don't interact at all (AFAIK).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [scorpioncapital] Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible! In reply to
Links only uses the ratings from rate.cgi to give the rating value - it doesn't use the review ratings at all. If you want to average them see the link in my post above.
Post deleted by scorpioncapital In reply to
Quote Reply
lsql_Reviews I believe.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
so let's say you have a 'rate it' and 'review it' button for a link.

You rate it 10 and review it 5.

Without the above mentioned changes, what would LSQL compute as the link's total rating?

PS. That site with the stars looks nice, is there a code to convert a rating to a starred display?
Quote Reply
Total Votes / Rating .... it doesn't even use the Reviews (thats simply for displaying on review.cgi).

>>>PS. That site with the stars looks nice, is there a code to convert a rating to a starred display? <<<

There may be a global around.. but I can't remember. Its quite a simple global to write though (just check the value of $tags->{Rating} and assign the image closest to it).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I guess you need some stars and half stars from 1/2 to 10 Smile I wonder if there is such a thing!
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible! In reply to
Hi-

I tried your modification that combines the ratings several months ago, and I wanted to let you know that it works really well and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide an actual working solution.

--Frank
Quote Reply
Re: [FrankM] Ratings from 1..10, instead of 1..5.. IS possible! In reply to
Thank you - it's good to know.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I guess you need some stars and half stars from 1/2 to 10 Smile I wonder if there is such a thing!

Already got half stars Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk