Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Testers needed...
I've been working on a Plugin that will enable you to have something like the below on your add page;

Basically, it allows you to have a dynamically generated image, which they must type a verification string for. If they enter it incorrectly, then they will not be able to submit the link. This should slow down, or even stop robot submissions.

Features include;
  • string held in database, with session ID. Basically, this means that the string is not placed in a 'hidden' form field on the page (which would mean spiders could just look for it on the HTML page)
  • Option for border, background and font.
  • Option to turn the 'wave' and 'raise' effects off.

I'm looking for people who would be able to test this for me, when I get it finished tomorrow. I'm almost finished doing my testing now, so it should be ready by 11am GMT tomorrow. If you are interested, please PM or email me (webmaster@linkssql.net).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Testers needed... In reply to
How does your plugin know what letters are contained in the image?

Last edited by:

Paul: May 27, 2003, 9:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Testers needed... In reply to
It knows what the image contains because it MAKES the Image by using some image libraries, I expect.

Wink-- or maybe Andy has added some ESP (tm) Perl modules in. --Sly
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Testers needed... In reply to
Yes I know Wink

I was fishing for an answer so I could determine how he was storing the values contained in the image, and whether it was the best way Wink

Last edited by:

Paul: May 27, 2003, 2:36 PM
Quote Reply
Aaah.... very tricky, Holmes.

I expected no less from you.Cool
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
How does your plugin know what letters are contained in the image?

Putting it simply, the plugin adds a new table to the database. That table contains two fields. 'SessionID' and 'SessionRand'. SessionID is a timestamp (which should, in theory be totally unique), and then SessionRand holds the value of the string.

The date is then hidden in a variable, which is passed along to the PRE hook. The PRE hook then looks up in the database for a session ID the same as what was submitted, and see's if the string is the same. If it is, the submission is accepted. If not, they are returned to the add page, with an error.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

Yes, I'd like to try this Smile

--------

Are you using the CAPTCHA thing?

http://www.captcha.net/

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Testers needed... In reply to
I'm just off on my lunch break, and then when I get back, I intend to write a Readme for it. Then it is done :) Keep an eye out for a PM from me Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Testers needed... In reply to
Quick question....

Do you have Image::Magick installed on your server? Just that this plugin uses it, so obviously it is a major requirement Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ah.... the big question <G> If you are just generating a simple image, you might want to try something like GD, which should have enough capability to do that, yet be widely distributed, or easily added.

I was wondering what you were up to....

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
That's going to be a rather large limitation of the plugin. Image::Magick is going to need root access to install and takes a bit of time to install properly.
Quote Reply
Yes, Image::Magick is installed

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Testers needed... In reply to
In Reply To:
Ah.... the big question <G> If you are just generating a simple image, you might want to try something like GD, which should have enough capability to do that, yet be widely distributed, or easily added.

I was wondering what you were up to....

Yeah, I'm looking at adding the GD library image generation feature in the next version. I was just aiming to get it working on Image::Magick first, because once thats all going, its simply a case of adding some options to the plugin, and adding some more code generation for GD (although GD seems a lot more limited)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok...GD has been finished now. If anyone has the 'GD' library installed, and not Image::Magick, and would like to give my plugin a test, please send me a PM, and I will get it off to you Smile My main worry is that errors will pop up on server that don't have Image::Magick installed.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk