Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Ian's Plug-In's :: What's Coming

Quote Reply
Ian's Plug-In's :: What's Coming
I just thought I would make a general post of my current , possibles, and plugins underway:
    • Directory Depth - Available
    • Editor Monitor - Available
    • Remote Count - Available
    • Tool Box - 90% complete
    • NewsletterPlus - Underway - 10% complete
    • User Monitor - Possible

With the exception of Directory Depth, my other plug-ins can be purchased and downloaded from my own website (see signature block).

Plug-in Symbiosis (information sharing):

I intend on linking some of the plug-ins, so that users who have serveral of these plug-ins will gain additional functionality, by sharing information between one plug-in and another. For example, my NewsletterPlus, which is an enhancement of the Links Newsletter system, will automatically gernerate an html newsletter packed with information from my other plugins, such as Top Editors, Top Counts, etc. There has also been suggestions to link the information between Editor Monitor and Remote Count. This is still in the idea stage, but I am giving it some serious thought!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jul 23, 2002, 11:46 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] IAN'S PLUGINS - WHATS COMING In reply to
Ian,

I think this plugin sharing thing is already implemented, and you are musing on a subtlety that you haven't yet been able to define :)

The whole plugin system is designed to "share" information.

Maybe what you are looking at is some more robust form of the registry system, that would easy to query.

Or, some sort of protocol that a plugin author would use, to make sure it was easy to get their information from - or by - another plugin. A "back end" interface, or xml type interface between plugins.

This sort of thing is already implemented, in a way, but it's not in a "defined" plugin-authors handbook <G> I've always wanted one of those, so that people sort of had a guideline for plugin development, from installation interface through inter plugin communication. The "hooks" and "interfaces" to the outside world.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] IAN'S PLUGINS - WHATS COMING In reply to
Quote:
A "back end" interface, or xml type interface between plugins

Yes, that would be a thought.

I am going to play around with interaction between my own plug-ins for now... for example a function runs an additional peice of code, if it detects another one of my plug-ins present. Keep it simple like that to start.

Smile

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] IAN'S PLUGINS - WHATS COMING In reply to
HI Pugdog,

I truly believe that in Ians case his plugins have a natural crossover in many areas. This may not be true between developers though.

And there may be a fiscal gain for a developer that can bring his products together in a way that increases the productivity of each individual plugin over them as a stand alone.

The negative for putting down rules and guidelines between developers is very simple, in a nutshell those rules would stifle creativity. Sort of like telling a painter that he can only use 3 colors and a specific brush or a musician being told that he can only use one instrument.

The positive is obviously bringing new life to older plugins and creating a higher level of dynamics with new ones.

The risks are simple as well. This can create a cult/clickish relationship between developers that may keep fresh blood from venturing in or even worse, a control that would be able to exile existing developers if left in the hands of a single individual or small group following a leaders wishes.

The answer is not so simple but I do believe that making your own plugins more dynamic via "making them talk" is a great place to start. Not only will this help the individual it will ultimately help all developers if it expands out from the individual developers plugins.

Another thought is that an individual developer can create their own method of interfacing and allow other developers access to it for a fee or recognition. But that is a whole other thread I am sure...Cool
Quote Reply
Hi Ian,

Can you give us a rundown of the freatures that are to be and potentially will be included in the NewsletterPlus plugin?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] IAN'S PLUGINS - WHATS COMING In reply to
Yes!

It is still very early in the works. I was reading in a post somewhere that GT intend on increasing the Newsletter abilities in Links. So I don't want to do exactly the same thing.

What I am planning with this plug-in is something a little more specific, but give you some of the planned features right now!

I am tired of looking at the spam I get in my inbox, and thier newsletters, spam mail or whatever you want to call it, looks soooooo much better then the newsletter links is sending out!

Here is what I am looking at so far:
  • Template based newsletter. You drop in the tags, like date, username, top lists , whatever, and NewsletterPlus, automatically builds your newsletter with the click of a button. I already have this working on my own site (you may have even received a newsletter from it since you added your links to categories, the other day. This is done with ONE button click! hard work eh.
  • Full html Newsletter. I dislike the boring old text newsletter. GT::Mail supports html, so why not use it. Your spammers do, and it looks so much better (usually). For those whos mail programs don't support html email... just add in the little text message at the top of your newsletter template... have a look at the better looking newsletters you receive and see what they have done!
  • I have three functions at the moment:
    • View: this builds a newsletter and shows you it, without sending it out. Good for have a test look, or just admiring how good you newsletter looksWink
    • Test: this actually sends your newsletter to your email address only. Good for testing also.
    • Send: this sends the newsletter to everyone who has opted into your newsletter in your user database. Not as fancy as the Links option, in that you can make up your own mailing lists, but that is not the point of NewsletterPlus. Who knows, I may change this sometime to include more optioins.
  • Pull data from other plug-ins (mine or free ones). Like SearchLogger - for top X searches, Editor Monitor for top editors, Remote count for top lists. If you don't have these plugins, you simply wont be able to use this part of it.
  • Other handy tags to drop in which automate your newsletter.

If this all sounds like something you can do with the built in Newsletter anyways, then I don't know how to do it.... but my mass mailer does not work anyways, so thats how this one has come about.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 29, 2002, 10:27 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

I am currently upgrading my plug-in download and information area. I had hoped to see my plug-ins back on the GT download site by now, but GT seem to be pretty snowed right now.

If you have trouble reaching the payment and information screen due to having a slow internet connection or otherwise, you can either pm me your request or visit my support forum and post your request. Alternatively you could try http://www.iuni.com/custom/lsql.html.

Keep an eye on my signature block for key links.

I am hoping to make a little portfolio of the types of graphics I have produced for various companies, webmaster etc. I do take on some custom graphic design jobs (time permitting). So if you have a requirement for a high quality graphic (mainly objects or web site specific), just message me. Please, serious inquiries only.

Thanks!

Links Plugins