Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

File Save Location does not exist or is not writeable.

Quote Reply
File Save Location does not exist or is not writeable.
I'm trying to add a file upload column to my database and I keep getting the above error. I'm virtually 100% certain that the directory I'm entering (full path) both extists and is world writable. Has anybody had this problem?

I read something about a Links_Files table? I don't see one in my Database -- could this be potential problem. Is "Links_Files" the proper name?

Many thanks in advance.
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: [Swaylock] File Save Location does not exist or is not writeable. In reply to
Make sure you are really looking at the same path.

The server sometimes sees things differently.

The tables are created when you add a column for files.

Also, make sure your defs directory is writable by the server.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] File Save Location does not exist or is not writeable. In reply to
Pugdog,

Thanks for the hints. I'll be sure to double check. One quick question: The defs directory is chowned user:group to me:me. Is it correct to assume the server can still write to this directory?

mike
Quote Reply
Re: [Swaylock] File Save Location does not exist or is not writeable. In reply to
It is correct to assume that is probably WRONG <G>

Unless the server is running as you, and usually it's not, the defs directory _really_ needs to be either:

1) world writable 777

or

2) owned by the server, usually "nobody nobody"

Since that takes super user powers, the alternative is to create a dummy def file in the defs directory, set it to 777 and install the plugin. If that doesn't work, you'll have to set the defs directory to 777 and let the server write the def file itself. You can set it back to 755 after that.

Once a file exists, and is "writeable" usually the installer code will just overwrite it without a problem.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
I'm confused. Are you having problems with the defs directory or the file save directory or both?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] File Save Location does not exist or is not writeable. In reply to
Paul,

Sometimes that sort of error comes from being unable to write the def file.

It's a "silent" error, but gives a problem later on, since the field is not able to be 'found' by the SQL engine that depends on the values in the .def file.

It's worth checking, before going going crazy :)

Please leave a PM here.