Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Comment Plugin wanted

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Comment Plugin wanted In reply to
I tried that but missed the reviews so I want to keep the reviews system as a separate feature.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Comment Plugin wanted In reply to
Yeah, you're missing something :)

This is an extension of the review system, and an expansion of it into the comments and ratings. It was an offshoot of the blogging program, sort of a micro blogging system. It was built on top of the review system. RGBWorld and I headed in different directions, and the thread spanned a time frame of 2005-2006. The idea was to extend the comments to be more like reviews, but we had differerent visions or end uses.

ratings: the perceived value or "ranking" of the link/resource
review: a user's/visitor's impression of the site/link/resource [thoughtful] [historic/archival material]
comments: an interactive discussion of the site/link/resource [spontaneous] [transient, scroll-off, etc]

The confusion might be that the original thread changed somewhat after the first message or two, check this post
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=279996#p279996

According to this one:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=293203#p293203
I did finish it, so I'm looking for what I probably called "comments.tar" :)

I took the Aug 4th 2009 message a response to that one, and posted the update today. Seems this thread activates once every 12 months.

It should be clearer if I can get this out of moth balls and installed/running the way I had intended. It's going to be key on this new site, even more so than the idea I was originally developing it for.

Quote:
I thought I had a plugin which did this, but I think it must have been something else I was thinking of =)

You may have had something to attach a comment to a link, but at the time I started this there was nothing out there like this and I've been going through the past few years of messages to see if anything new had come out. This was more than a simple comment on a link, as noted, it was a stripped down version of the blogging system I was working on at the time. It took on a life of its own as I saw a lot of potential for it across my sites, and thus, potentially, for others' as well. RGB's post just opened a discussion of it before I had planned to actually announce it.

I was working on several major projects (blogger, image gallery/portfolio, advanced profile system, arbitrary tables manager, etc), plus the rewrite of our code base before I got bliveted by life. Just trying to pick up the pieces and start to tie up the lose ends and move it all into one new site. Hopefully this old dog still has a few new tricks left in him.:)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Comment Plugin wanted In reply to
heheh this is why I find it best to develop on our dev server, and then at least even months/years down the line when you wanna try and find something - its much easier <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Nice to see you again Pugdog. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Comment Plugin wanted In reply to
Well, I have dozens of "dev" servers :) Not just one. I was hacking links in several directions, and the fundamental design stuff was incompatible with each other (during development, at least) so I had them in different places.... with different accounts/etc. When I was "active" it was easy to keep track, but after a couple of years, I'm just starting to find the bread crumbs and jog memory. But the memory is getting older every day.

Most of the changes were in the database and templates, obviously, with different plugins added, but the "bloat" of a single database with all the fields/tables/etc would be too much, as would having 20-30 different template sets. It was just easier to have one "development" install running in parallel with the release install (the question is, *where* was the release install!! <G>).

The core libraries are obviously in the middle, but I had modified virtually every script and template into an "advanced" core system, then on top of that each development branch had it's own layers and such.

And..... to make it more confusing, I was rewriting the various code modules, fragments and globals into a new Ultra:: library, so some sites had started the migration there, and others were using the original random files/globals/etc. :( I'll get it :) It eventually. But It was like a "forced" shutdown of Windows. Nothing was closed or shutdown properly, so the reboot takes a lot longer.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] Comment Plugin wanted In reply to
Payooo wrote:
Nice to see you again Pugdog. Smile

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
haha sounds like my ULTRAGlobals plugin would do a lot of what you need (its a collection of globals / functions I've been building up for a good while now - there are about 30-40 odd globals, dealing with pretty much everything :))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
pugdog wrote:
Anyway, for the site I'm working on now, this is a high-priority to revive and finish. The reasons I needed it 4 years ago are the same I need now, even more. It will take me awhile to get back up to speed, and even get all the old code organized so I can start working on it. But, I'm doing it now.

pugdog are you still working on this? Just interested to hear if you have any updates.

Thanks

Smile
> >