(Page 2 of 8)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [cwi] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Yeah I'll contact Alex with a few questions Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Quote:
Its a good thing he started work on it....otherwise you would have been left with my programming skills on a SQL version of my MyFaves

Phew, looks like I saved the world from disaster then =)
Quote Reply
Hi,

Ok I've spoken to Alex and he has recommended I carry on using the username field.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MyLinks SQL In reply to
In Reply To:
I've spoken to Alex and he has recommended I carry on using the username field.

Hmm. What was his reasoning?
Quote Reply
He said there are no immediate plans to add an id column to the Users table and he said getting my plugin to add such a column would cause problems.
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] MyLinks SQL In reply to
This is what I have so far...is it looking ok?
Quote Reply
It looks great. Keep up the good work!

Wink
Quote Reply
Looks great Paul.... let me know if/when you need beta tester :-)

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
I guess I should make some backups...I'd hate to lose this:
Wink
Quote Reply
Looks as though a great deal of work went into it. Smile

Paul, could you add the functionality so we can decide what to call the mylinks script when we install it? (So, during the install there is a text box where one can alter the name of the script, so it can be MyFavouriteEquities.cgi rather than mylinks.cgi).
Quote Reply
You can change the name (its mylinks2.cgi by default) - you'd just have to update the hyperlinks in the templates.

Adding a plugin option is a possibility but it would mean I'd have to load that option for each template - it would probably be easier done with a global....or one other solution is for me to change all hyperlinks to "?" which takes the current file name being viewed as the link target.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 26, 2003, 5:48 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Do people still want the functionality to make favorites lists public or can that be left out?
Quote Reply
Small update.

So far the features implemented are the basic mylinks features such as adding links and deleting links. I've also added the folder related code. Admin can set a limit for the number of folders a user can make and also can set a total for the number of allowed saved links. Links can be moved between folders and when deleting a folder you can delete all links or move them to another existing folder. When adding new links to your mylinks account the link will be placed into a default folder ready to be moved by the user to their desired custom folder. I *may* add a user option to let them set a folder of their choice into which new links will go by default but I'm not 100% sure there is a need as the default folder works exactly the same. By the way, the default folder name and description are also customizable by admin.

The feature I implemented today is link recommendations. You can recommend a link to one or more friends and can provide a custom message to each friend. I've setup the html and perl code to allow you to add extra friend fields, so there is no limit to how many people you can send recommendations to. the email for the recommendations is template based, as is pretty much everything - I've tried to make it as easy to customize as possible.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
You can change the name (its mylinks2.cgi by default) - you'd just have to update the hyperlinks in the templates.

Adding a plugin option is a possibility but it would mean I'd have to load that option for each template - it would probably be easier done with a global....or one other solution is for me to change all hyperlinks to "?" which takes the current file name being viewed as the link target.

As you realise, it's no great problem, but just makes everything a lot faster when installing.

Everything sounds really good Smile
Quote Reply
Personally I like this feature - people tend to be quite nosy! If they can see other people's folders it may make them more likely to go through the sign up process to get access to their own folders.

Don't worry though if it is a lot of work - I'd rather see the plugin asap!

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
I am not using it in the current version - so it can be left ou as far as I am concerned

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Looking good Paul! Glad to see this one back on the burner.

It's nice to see you've got some of the features discussed in the last Mylinks thread already working ..
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...tring=Mylinks#220470

As far as the Public/Private functionality goes I would like to see it in there. I agree with Laura, it gets people to sign up.

Either way, you can count me in for the upgrade. Sly

Good luck with the plug man.
Quote Reply
How's everything going Paul? Are things progressing well?
Quote Reply
Yes things are going well. The plugin is about 85 kb in size so far (compressed) - that should give you an indication of how much I'm working on it =)
Quote Reply
Although it's not an accurate measure, the old version that I have is 14.9 KB.

Seems like it's going to be a very impressive plugin Wink
Quote Reply
Hmm which one do you have?...the last one was about 90kb
Quote Reply
I have MyLinks_DB - it's 14.9 compressed (ZIP) and 90kb uncompressed. I think that this the version that you are referring to, but not sure what compression method could lead to a 0% reduction.

Last edited by:

cwi: Mar 27, 2003, 2:37 PM
Quote Reply
I have a tar version on my pc and it is 93kb
Quote Reply
tar is not compressed, it's just an archive format.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Yep I know. tar.gz is the compressed format.
> > > >