Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

The Genius Traffic Builder Plugin

Quote Reply
The Genius Traffic Builder Plugin
hi,

while drinking a cup of coffee i got a simple but genius idea for a great traffic-building plugin.

what does the plugin has to do?

it has to add an additional column to the links_table. let's call the column RemoteCount.

after that you should be able to create links to your own links_sql-directory with the id of the registered links in your directory. so all your registered link-owners can put up this link with the destination of your directory on their websites (e.g. with a button we are registered at YourWebDirectory).

the plugin then tracks all the clicks coming from your partner-sites/registered sites to your directory and saves the amount of clicks in the RemoteCount-column of the links_table.

all you have to do is to change the sort order for building your directory to RemoteCount DESC.

the effect is the following:

lots of link-owners of your directory will promote your directory on their pages for getting a better listing-position in your directory and because of that YOU get more traffic!

i think it is as simple as effective.

the problem is i am not a plugin programmer so maybe someone who has plugin-experience will write this plugin.

cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] The Genius Traffic Builder Plugin In reply to
Sounds awfully similar to someone else's genius idea Wink. There is a Remote Count plugin for Links SQL already, oddly enough it was called "Remote Count" too!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi Manu,

Ian has made this already and it works great! It even has more functions than you described. Check it out!Wink

Called: Remote Count
Author: Ian (iUNI Corp)
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] The Genius Traffic Builder Plugin In reply to
hi ian,

i know that plugin. but it it stores much more information an i am not sure if you can use this for building the sort order of your directory.

in fact the remote-count plugin brought the idea to me.

cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
hi Manu,

Remote Count can display the sort order (like a top list) in any order you like virtually.

If you wish to use the Top X Count tag you will need to place this into your template where you want to use it.

Top X Count

# This subroutine returns the toplist
# Called with <%Plugins::RemoteCount::TopXCount('TopX_Start','TopX_ListSize','Max Title Length', 'Sort Order')%>
# Order:
# iox - IN OUT EXP
# ixo - IN EXP OUT
# xoi - EXP OUT IN
# xio - EXP IN OUT
# oix - OUT IN EXP
# oxi - OUT EXP IN

Example: <%Plugins::RemoteCount::TopXCount('50','20','75', 'xio')%>

Returns the top 20 (from rank 50 to rank 70), with titles capped at 75 chars, and order by Exposures, In's then Out's

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Aug 20, 2002, 8:25 AM
Quote Reply
I can't believe it!!!Wink

The EXACTLY same idea crossed my mind last night!

But I have few addons ...

This can be expanded to track more users links ...

Like, if you offer your users/link owners some kind of sponsored listings...

Maybe this can be tracked via SubID's

like .../jump.cgi?ID=5&SubID=3

or something similar

The SubID=0 (or more ID's) could be reserved to track link TO your site and others to track links FROM your site.

>>>>

the problem is i am not a plugin programmer so maybe someone who has plugin-experience will write this plugin

>>>>

Same PROBLEM Wink

Sorry Ian, I didn't even checked your plugin so I don't know how it works ($$$ Problemo Frown).

Additional info would be great.
Quote Reply
hi ian,

ok, but i don't want a top X list.

what i want is to change the sort order of my whole directory to a links-table column which counts the remote-clicks.

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
Re: [Payooo] The Genius Traffic Builder Plugin In reply to
if you have sponsored links you will have no problem.

for example you have a column called premium. normally the value for each link in it is 0 (zero), the value for sponsored links is 1.

then you can set up the sort order in your admin->settings to: premium DESC, remoteclicks DESC

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
No, I am thinking about allowing them to add links into the description or even images, but

I want to track those clicks.
Quote Reply
I see what you are getting at Manu, but once again, I still can't see why this is different to RC.

I can add any of the RC columns to my sort order and change the WHOLE directory as you are asking.

For example:

Sort By: RC_Count, Title, etc

would force links to build the directories (and search if you wanted to ) by the RC_Count. You could use any combination if hits IN, OUT or Page exposurses on a clients site to order you directory.

I don't mean to take the wind out of your great idea, but katabd and teambldr suggested similar things to me when RC was made, hence RC :)

I am not asking you to buy this plugin, I am just point out that it exists and may save you a few hours of codingSmile

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
ok ian,

think i know what you are talking about now.

i think it will work.

i just have two points left:

1. i don't need to store all the information like ins, outs, page exposures etc. i just need the counting of klicks (it is also a matter of datatraffic, webspace and performance)

2. for all the features of RemoteCount the price may be alright. but not for the "simple version" i am thinking about.

cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
Hi manu, I see your point about a simple version.

Unfortuantely the time it takes to make a scaled down version makes it a unviable version for me.(time in maintaining another set of code). Plus the support is easier when everyone has the same code. I hope you understand.

Also, my computer is down at the moment and I could not change the code right now even if I wanted to! I expect to be up and running again soon though.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
ok ian,

lets say i decide to buy the existing plugin.

is there another way to get the plugin then via paypal, because i don't like to register to paypal for one simple transaction?

cheers,

Regards,
Manu

Quote Reply
hmmmm. paypal is the fast way. I'll send you a pm.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
ok ian,

lets say i decide to buy the existing plugin.

is there another way to get the plugin then via paypal, because i don't like to register to paypal for one simple transaction?

cheers,

If you get the right URL, you shouldn't need to register, as you can just enter your Credit Card details to make the purchase Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi IAN

RC does not need a less powerfull features..

the main problem when your Top X list grows biggger is over loading your links table...

I think a proper solution will be to separate Rc ito its own table.. and just link it using the link ID..

I know that will be a big move.. but You should consider it on the long run.. I think..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] The Genius Traffic Builder Plugin In reply to
Even with the auto-purge?

As a side note, it might be interesting to have RC reset the start of each calendar month and allow link owners to compete on a more even playing field with the older links.

Just a thought!Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] The Genius Traffic Builder Plugin In reply to
Hi Guys,

Yeah, I am sure we posted this somewhere else.... but seperating the tables is a possilbity for sure.

Reseting the data will still take up the same space in the database (more or less), so while that is a good idea, it won't increase performance much.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
For fun, (and to keep track of things till I am in a position to work on RC), I set up a poll on my support forum in the Remote Count area. I also added a few tips for RC including using IFRAMES the CODE system and the table editor.

Links Plugins