Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[Plugin] Error_Jump

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] [Plugin] Error_Jump In reply to
Ok..I now have the Pro version completed....and I am fixing a couple of bugs in the free one. If you would like to buy the pro version, please email me at webmaster@ace-installer.com. I will be putting up a Links SQL Plugins page soon...from which you will be able to download in real time after your purchase.

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [Plugin] Error_Jump In reply to
Ok....the free version has been patched up now...so I'll attach it to this post for anyone who wants it. If you want the extra features, please upgrade to the Pro version).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
"Unexpected end of archive"

You don't really need to use fatalsToBrowser....Links SQL uses it's own error handling

local $SIG{__DIE__} = \&Links::fatal;

You should probably use a return rather than an exit too.

Sorry I don't want to appear to be moaning, they are just things I'm spotting.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 19, 2002, 2:59 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Plugin] Error_Jump In reply to
MMm..weird. What happens if you download the tar file from http://www.ace-installer.com/GT_Plugins/Error_Jump.tar ? Could be the file just got corrupted from going to my computer, and then onto the GT server.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
It works.

Btw you still have some scoping wrong:

if (!$code_returned) { my $code_returned = "404"; }

....if that block ever executes, your update afterwards will insert nothing into Links_Status as $code_returned will only have the value 404 for that if block.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 19, 2002, 3:15 AM
Quote Reply
Ah..good point. I'll that that fixed soon. This scoping stuff is doing my head in..LOL

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
.. and you should never ever leave fatalsToBrowser in production code as it poses a big security risk. If your code happens to fail for whatever reason it could expose system information which would better be left private.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] [Plugin] Error_Jump In reply to
YES Wil..this is why I removed it Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok..I've made a purchase page for the Pro one now. It is;

http://www.ace-installer.com/sell/send.php?id=5

The price is $29.95.

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Do I get a $29 cut for all the bug fixes I gave you ;)
Quote Reply
Lol...no...but you can have a free copy Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi

Are you goig to make the update available onlin somewhere or you are going to e-mail the new version to the registered users?

Also I think you owe me 5 cenets Wink
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] [Plugin] Error_Jump In reply to
I'll make the updates available to users by emailing them. There won't be that many users..but if there is then I'll set up a mailing list for plugin owners Wink You really want your 5 cents back? Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Mmmm.I have a really weird one here. For some reason, the variable alsways goes to 404.

Code:
my $id = $IN->param('ID'); # get ID of the link..so we can call SQL stuff..

# get rid of the http:// in the $url variable
$url =~ s,http://,,;

print $IN->header();
print $url;

# now connect to the URL..to see what we get...
my $sock = GT::Socket->open({
'host' => $url,
'port' => 80,
'timeout' => 5,
'max_down'=> 15
});

if (defined $sock) {

$sock->write( "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n" );

$returned = $sock->gulpread(-1);

@sliced = split(/\s/, $returned);
$code_returned = $sliced[1];

} else {

print $IN->header(); print "returned a 404 cos nothing was defined";
$code_returned = "404";

}

Anyone got any ideas? I've tried quoting "$url", bu that didn't make a difference [:9]

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
*bump*
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

Is error_jump suppose to chanbge the link status in the links table if it is dead or overloaded?

Cus it looks like it is doing just that on my server..!
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] [Plugin] Error_Jump In reply to
Yup...it sure is. Every time someone makes a jump, it will change the status code in the links_Links table for that entry.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
This plug in is very COOL..

and BTW it does not chew a lot of system resources..
Regards
KaTaBd

Post deleted by Paul In reply to

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 5, 2002, 8:25 AM
Quote Reply
Andy,

Have you got a page that explains the process of your plug-in. For example what happens with a 403 error or a 500 error, if they are one-off or persistent ? I understand a demo mustn't be very easy to set up since you'd have to keep providing various errorneous links for it to show what happened but I'd like to understand better how it works.

PS : I couldn't see anything on your web site about this plug-in, and, by the way, I like the new (since I last visited) look of your web site.

Thanks, Jag
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] [Plugin] Error_Jump In reply to
Hi. It doesn't actually matter what error is returned. It will simple report an error if the page cannot be found (i.e a 404, 500 etc), although some servers will catch these errors, so I'm unsure if the script will catch those problems.

>>>PS : I couldn't see anything on your web site about this plug-in, and, by the way, I like the new (since I last visited) look of your web site. <<<

Glad you like the new design :) Once I have made the transfer of my site onto the new dedicated server I'm getting, I will be adding a GT Plugins/installs/mods area specifically for Links 2 and Links SQL stuff.

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I was actually looking for something like this.

For what I want to do, I want to store/cache/etc certain pages on my server, so that people don't ever get 404 errors for important things -- like conversion charts, plans, or other key information they need when they need it.

If a 404, or other sort of not-found, such as a redirect, is returned, I want the local copy of the page to be served, or the user advised that the site is unavailable at the moment, the link has been reported as bad, but a cached copy of the information is available.

Nothing is more frustrating than finding the information you think you want, and the site being gone, or unavailable. I'm sure you all know the feeling!

The information I'm trying to link is stuff that does not change often. A dynamic sort of information would need an intelligent spider to maintain the page. you really wouldn't want the "good" information being written over with a "This user forgot to pay their bill" page, but that is down the line.

For now, I just want something a bit friendly.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [UPDATE] Error_Jump Pro v2 In reply to
Hi. I've re-written a lot of the codes in safe_jump.cgi, to make it faster, and to accomidate more errors. It should now be faster, and also show the actual error message returned.

If you own this plugin, or the $200 package, then you can download the new version from;

http://new.linkssql.net/page.php?page=account

Details can be found here:

http://new.linkssql.net/...;page=Error_Jump_Pro

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Error_Jump Pro v2 In reply to
Andy,

Your error jump link actually links to your reciprocal link info page.

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] Error_Jump Pro v2 In reply to
Ooooh... very odd. That must have been up there a while Unimpressed I'll get the real page put up, and let you know once its done.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> > > >