Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Captcha Installation - Getting Killed By Spam

Quote Reply
Captcha Installation - Getting Killed By Spam
I am currently running Gossamer Links 3.1.0 and I am getting an unbelievable amount of spam through my addalink form. I am looking for someone to install a plugin for me (custom or off the shelf) that prevents these bots from filling out this form. Whether it be a captcha or question/answer type product, I need something to stop the spam. It is overwhelming. Every week there are 1000's of bogus submissions that I go through and delete from the links admin page. If anyone has other advice on how to get rid of these spammers, please let me know. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [gravitydex] Captcha Installation - Getting Killed By Spam In reply to
Try Andy's Filter_Words plugin - if it's the usual spammers submitting poker sites etc. you can block a large amount of spam with some carefully chosen words (unless your site is about poker Wink).

I think there is a CAPTCHA plugin around too but I have not used it.

In the end the best way to stop spam is to require users to register.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I have a captcha plugin for glinks. It requires GD.pm on your server.

Please let me know if you would like it.

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Hi,

Its not free ($25US), but this should help:

http://www.ultranerds.com/...ns/Add_RandImage_L4/ (requires the Perl GD library though)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Captcha Installation - Getting Killed By Spam In reply to
I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to installing anything on my server or in gossamer links. Frown I had someone do the installation for me years ago and would need someone to install this captcha solution too. Is anyone interested in doing this?
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you buy the plugin (Add_RandImage), I could throw in a free installation Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Captcha Installation - Getting Killed By Spam In reply to
Thanks Andy. I'll email you.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Cool. Just so you know, I don't have an email from you this morning (not sure if you've just not sent it, or its been classed as spam for some reason :/). If needed, please PM me :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk