Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ NEW PLUGIN ] PriorityListingPro v1.1

Quote Reply
[ NEW PLUGIN ] PriorityListingPro v1.1
PriorityListingPro

NB: This is similar to the BuyPriorityListing plugin here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=297510#p297510. The major difference, is some more advanced admin panel functions - and the ability to decide on different prices for the positions of their listing (i.e position 1, position 2, etc). If you aren't looking for this feature, then the more basic version would work for you better (not to mention being $75 better off for your wallet :))

This plugin lets you "sell" top-spots in your directory, in their specific category. For example, if someone is listed in "Games" - but is on the 3rd page, they most likely want to be at the top. With this plugin, you can sell them xx days (i.e 60 days) at the top of the category. In the plugin settings you can define how many spots are allowed to be allocated per category (default is 3). This is to stop the whole of the page being filled up with "priority" listings =)

PRICE: $175 (this plugin is part of our ULTRA Package Pro offer - http://www.ultranerds.com/...bin/details/134.html)

Detailed URL: http://www.ultranerds.com/...rityListingPro_L199/

Plugin Description

This plugin lets you "sell" top-spots in your directory, in their specific category. For example, if someone is listed in "Games" - but is on the 3rd page, they most likely want to be at the top. With this plugin, you can sell them xx days (i.e 60 days) at the top of the category. In the plugin settings you can define how many spots are allowed to be allocated per category (default is 3). This is to stop the whole of the page being filled up with "priority" listings =)

For example, you may have 5 spots you want to "sell" at the top of your category. This plugin lets you do that, with automated expiration of their "priority listing" (this doesn't affect their main listing - i.e when their paid listing expires, their link will still show in the category they are assigned to).

Lets say we have these prices:

$50 - Spot 1 (best)
$40 - Spot 2
$30 - Spot 3
$20 - Spot 4
$10 - Spot 5 (worst)

Now, although the 5th spot is the worst (out of the priority listings), it will still show up above unpaid listing (thus making it worth while someone purchasing the 5th spot, even though the higher paid listings will show up above them)

If they were to pay for the 3rd spot, for 3 months - then you are talking about $90 - just from one paid listing. Obviously this isn't a guaranteed figure, as it will depend on the popularity of your site / how many people add links to your site / the number of people willing to part with their money for a priority listing on your site.

However, even if you only sell a few spots a month - you will have made the money back from this plugin Smile

Plugin Requirements

1. Gossamer Links (3.x +)
  2. A PayPal account (to receive payments)

Features

This plugin has the following features:
  • Ability for users to just log in, and goto: priority.cgi , to see a list of their links - and then click "buy spot" if they want to promote their links.
  • Easy to use PayPal payment system to purchase spots.
  • Makes sure only xx spots are assigned to a single category, to stop crowding.
  • Simple interface in admin area to view current "priority listings"
  • Easy way to assign a link a priority spot, without having to pay via PayPal
  • Very little template work needed :)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Screenshots can be found on this page: http://www.ultranerds.com/...rityListingPro_L199/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Jul 23, 2007, 7:35 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PriorityListingPro v1.1 In reply to
Hi,

Just an update. Version 1.2 is now available from the Members Area. This was due to a bug that was reported, and has now been fixed.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Andy:

I'm just wondering how the user gets notified that his priority listing has expired. Is there a cron job etc that needs to be run?

I see there is an email but can't work how it automatically gets sent out.

Does the expired link automagically get deleted once the listing has expired?

Thanks,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PriorityListingPro v1.1 In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
I'm just wondering how the user gets notified that his priority listing has expired. Is there a cron job etc that needs to be run

Yeah, priority_expire.cgi needs to be run daily (ideally, at something like 1am). It should have been setup by the install script automatically, but may not - as on some servers it doesn't let the script update cronjobs (security 5thing I guess)

Quote:
Does the expired link automagically get deleted once the listing has expired?

Nope, it just goes back to being non-priority. This plugin doesn't delete links at all Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy:

Is it possible for 'Priority' Links to be displayed in search_results.html in a similar way to it shows in Category's - in other words, at the top of every page where there are multiple results?

Thanks,

Clint.
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PriorityListingPro v1.1 In reply to
Hi,

Mmm.. not really, as the priority listings have an entry in the "priority" table, which isn't directly linked with the search, so it would be pretty hard to get it to show them up as higher up results / above the search results.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy:

Thought so ...... very useful plugin though .....

Regards,

Clint.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've just uploaded version 1.3. This includes a fix, which makes the plugin work with GComm (when logging in), as the older version would just show login.html, and not redirect to community.cgi.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy

my site is for UK market and standard listings submitted are paid for, with Paypal set for GBP

Some users have asked for a 'priority listing' service, so this plugin will be great, except when i installed it I noticed that the pricings are in USD $

Is it possible to set the prices for the 'priority listings' to GBP?

thanks
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PriorityListingPro v1.1 In reply to
Andy

do you have any recommendations as to where to place the code for displaying the 'buy priority listing'

<%if Username%><a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/priority.cgi">Buy priority listing</a><%endif%>

Thanks
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Hi,

Mmm.. you could do. I may actually add it as an option when I get the chance (bit busy on some other jobs atm =))

Basically, the main changes are in the email templates (for confirming the amount they've paid), and in priority.cgi (search for $button, and you should see the code I'm aon about :))

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
colintho wrote:
Andy

do you have any recommendations as to where to place the code for displaying the 'buy priority listing'

<%if Username%><a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/priority.cgi">Buy priority listing</a><%endif%>

Thanks

Are you running the site dynamically? If so, then this would should be good:

Code:
<%if isLinkOwner%><%if Username%><a href="<%config.db_cgi_url%>/priority.cgi">Buy priority listing</a><%endif%> <%endif%>

If not, then maybe put it on modify.cgi (modify.html)

Otherwise, I guess as a last resort - maybe in the top header would be ok.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy

thanks for the suggestions, I'll also add the 'Buy priority listing' link to the 'login success' page.

I think I have a small problem with 'how many priority listings' selection.

In the plugin settings area: I have set 'MaxListingsAllowed' to '2'

When I 'test' the Buy priority link, on this page: 'Buy Priority Listing - Decide on your Purchase!'

the dropdown selection list for 'Free spaces' still hows 5 choices: Spot 1 to Spot 5

Also, I have another question, the link I chose is a link that is listed in 3 categories:

England/Cumbria
England/Cumbria/Kendal
England/Lake District

but the Buy priority listing, only shows one of these, 'England/Cumbria'

In this situation, it possible to provide users the choice of which category, to have their listing as a 'Priority Listing'?

Thanks
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions, I'll also add the 'Buy priority listing' link to the 'login success' page.

I think I have a small problem with 'how many priority listings' selection.

In the plugin settings area: I have set 'MaxListingsAllowed' to '2'

To make it only show 2, you have to edit the template a bit (priority_add.html). Find:

Code:
<select name="SpotChosen">
<%if SpotFree1%><option value="1">Spot 1 ($<%Spot1Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%if SpotFree2%><option value="2">Spot 2 ($<%Spot2Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%if SpotFree3%><option value="3">Spot 3 ($<%Spot3Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%if SpotFree4%><option value="4">Spot 4 ($<%Spot4Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%if SpotFree5%><option value="5">Spot 5 ($<%Spot5Price%>)</option><%endif%>
</select>

..and change to:
Code:
<select name="SpotChosen">
<%if SpotFree1%><option value="1">Spot 1 ($<%Spot1Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%if SpotFree2%><option value="2">Spot 2 ($<%Spot2Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%--
<%if SpotFree3%><option value="3">Spot 3 ($<%Spot3Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%if SpotFree4%><option value="4">Spot 4 ($<%Spot4Price%>)</option><%endif%>
<%if SpotFree5%><option value="5">Spot 5 ($<%Spot5Price%>)</option><%endif%>
--%>
</select>

Quote:
Also, I have another question, the link I chose is a link that is listed in 3 categories:

England/Cumbria
England/Cumbria/Kendal
England/Lake District

but the Buy priority listing, only shows one of these, 'England/Cumbria'

In this situation, it possible to provide users the choice of which category, to have their listing as a 'Priority Listing'?

I'm afraid this currently isn't available (due to the way the plugin works).

I may try and add this in (shouldn't be too hard, would just need a new category ID inputted for the link in question). No guarantees as to when though, as I'm a bit bogged down with custom work ATM.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy

I used the 'Add links' function in the Plugin area control panel to test the visual effect of a priority listing.

The link I used (Advertise here......) is listed in 2 categories:

England/Cornwall
England/Lake District

From the 'Add links' function I selected the category for: England/Cornwall

Then selected the 'Advertise here....' link

Then did a build, checked the England/Cornwall category, no change?

Then I checked the 'England/Lake District' category, this had the priority listing which I was expecting in the England/Cornwall category.

Any advice please?

Thanks
Colin Thompson

Last edited by:

colintho: Apr 14, 2008, 1:36 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Please PM/email me with your admin details, and I'll take a look for you.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy

thanks for your help.

as usual "Great Support".

regards

Colin
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've just uploaded a new version (1.5), which has:

1) The detailed_url tag bug fixed
2) The admin function , with links that were assigned to multiple categories
3) You can now set the currency code, and symbol directly in the plugin - and it should show up fine in all the template/emails :)

The new version can be downloaded from our Members Area. Please let me know if anyone has any issues (shouldn't be, but you never know =))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk