Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Help Urgent
Ok guys, here's the deal.
For example i have 10 categories: Auto, MArker,......
When i built my pages this is what i see in category title: Gossamer Threads: Auto or if i change it then : Mysitename : Auto

But I want to make custom title, for example : Number one auto site in the world!

How to do it?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [churik] Help Urgent In reply to
Login to your Links SQL Admin view
Clieck on Build
Click on Template Globals
Look for the Option company_name.

Change it to the way you like it :)

Hope this helps.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

NeedScripts.Com: Dec 2, 2004, 4:29 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Help Urgent In reply to
I want to make a CUSTOM title for each category.
I tried to change indexthe default.html file in each category, but when i click BUILD it replaces it with the default one.
Quote Reply
You would need to make a new field via Database > Category > Properties > Add Field, and call it something like "Show_Title" (CHAR/255/etc).

Then, in category.html, change the title from;

<TITLE><%site_title%> : <%if Show_Title%><%Show_Title%><%else%><%title_clean%><%endif%></TITLE>

...or similar Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Help Urgent In reply to
When i do this You would need to make a new field via Database > Category > Properties > Add Field, and call it something like "Show_Title" (CHAR/255/etc), i get an error:

Can't use an undefined value as a HASH reference at (eval 2) line 9.

Please help.
Quote Reply
Anyone?
Quote Reply
Did you add a field to the category table?

Andy's post should work for you.

Category information is carried downwards, into sub categories, so changing the Show_Title field in one of the root/main categories will change it for all category pages displayed below that.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Help Urgent In reply to
In Reply To:
Did you add a field to the category table?

Andy's post should work for you.

Category information is carried downwards, into sub categories, so changing the Show_Title field in one of the root/main categories will change it for all category pages displayed below that.

I am not sure if I understand your right.

So based on what you are saying. If I have 5 root categories and if I were to create a new Category Property called "Banner Code". Now suppose in each "Banner Code" section of all 5 root categories if I input sepreate codes (for example, targatted banner serving), what you are saying is, all the sub categories under root categories will also show the banner code for their particual root category? unless special banner code in inserted within that category's "Banner Code" field, right?

Please help me out bro, as this question has been bugging me for a long long long time.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Help Urgent In reply to
In short, yes.

Since version 1, the links template parser and other config modules, have been using cascaded inheretance (for lack of a better term).

The earliest version was if you added in a category footer/header those footers/headers would be used on that category, and any category below them.

This was expanded to include all fields (if I'm not mistaken), so that category specific data could be passed down and inhereted. This included meta tags, and all the other stuff. This portion of links has changed greatly through the various versions from 1.x to 2.x

Also, the templates use a .tplinfo file to point to where the parser should look if it can't find the requested file. So, in the local directory, the .tplinfo file would be:

{
inheritance => '../default'
}

This is a bit different, in that you can explicitly force the templates to load from a different area if you need to, or expand the search path to include files in other areas. I'm not sure if the field can be more than one other directory, but sometimes that is enough to do what you want, if you want to do fancy things.

Back to the issue:

So, if you create a field "banner code" every sub category would inheret the banner code from the category above, unless a banner code was specifically set in that subcategory.

If you create a Show_Title, the "Show_Title" will appear in all pages below the category that has it.

At least that is how it _should_ work ;)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.