Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization.

Quote Reply
Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization.
As suggested by your team at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/products/gossamer-links/ under "Use Cases"

Please in next version add support for Wizard like feature to allow non-programmers to customized it to any type of directories. If that is not possible, please add multiple templates not just LUNA.

Examples would be...
Movie directories
Home listing
Job Listing

again, 1st preference would be to allow user to build their own type using wizard. It will expand the market reach for Gossamer links & allow them to sell it much more.

Please consider it seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: [jasy007] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
Any feedback from staff on this suggestion?
Quote Reply
Re: [jasy007] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
Hi,

The problem I see, is that it wouldn't be that simple to do. It would be much easier (although still long winded), to create several different template sets (like we had with LinksSQL 2.x) and then people could use those

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
I agree, this is really good product.

If they don't do something soon, it will stagnated. The standard template is out of style. I still hope to see they achieve the wizard type so that will make this product very powerful even for non-programmers.

Here is a example, I recommend one of my friend to buy it for his site couple of months back, but in current form he did not saw much scope unless he pays someone to modify it a lot.
Quote Reply
I am hoping they would at least come with new product that does it.

I did not found any script that supports this idea, nothing on hotscripts site also.
Quote Reply
Any update from Development team?

is LinkSQL development dead?

Quote Reply
Hi,

It looks like it at the moment :( Would be nice to hear something from GT about it, as my whole business revolves around their products, and they havn't released any new versions for a long time Whistle

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
Hi,

I must admit, I've been looking around at other products. I've totally given up on Gossamer Forum ever being released as a new version and gave that up a couple of years ago and switched to something else. Gossamer Community hasn't been updated since Adam was a boy - again a product which initially promised so much and at the end of the day delivered so little in terms of ability to support other products for single logins....

The only issue I have in migrating to another product from LinksSQL is I have a heavily modified database and just have not quite worked out how to migrate all the information yet. I imagine if I do it one table at a time and import similarly it could be done but it's going to take a lot of work ... but am thinking in the long run it may well be worth it. I'll just have to learn some of the basics of php as all the products that are feature rich and have regular updates seem to use that language. (not that I'm any expert with cgi)Crazy

It's very disappointing as without doubt LinksSQL was the premiere product of its type for many years - but has fallen so far behind now in so many respects (RSS, Social Feeds etc etc).

All the best,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
Hi Clint,

I can understand your frustration.

We use Gossamer Links, and our other products, extensively as the framework for a lot of the projects we do (a few of which you can see in our blog and results section), but unfortunately this doesn't get translated back into updated versions (as one of the advantages of the product is its flexibility, and so much of what we do wouldn't really fit into the core product).

So while we are still building sites day in day out and using the products and code extensively, I don't forsee a major update in the near future. We are of course available for any work you might need.

Probably not what you really wanted to hear!

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
No problems Alex,

thanks for the reply.

All the best,

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
GLinks is an excelent product which by its self is reaching an end of life or at least end of "top of the line" product.

Through the years we hear over and over that GT has add-ons or has some plugins or something... Every time Andy cant solve the problem or even other clients mention that GT has that plugin or has something that turns GL into this or that.

Why not make a list of those addons or plugins?

Even if its more work for us to add it, customise it etc etc I think many of us would apreciate for GT to give this product a little injection of new blood, fresh air, something.

I know you wont, we have been asking for updates for years, and nothing... But one always hopes...

JC
Quote Reply
Re: [Gorospe] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
There are a bunch of fixes I've committed since we last released 3.3.0 that I've wanted to release them in a maintenance release, but I haven't had the time to polish it up to do so. As Alex mentioned, we do use glinks as a base for a lot of projects, so I do hope that we can improve/modernize some of the core functionality so we can re-use this for projects. As usual, the problem is time :(

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
Hi Adrian,
isn't it to easy to say time is the problem?
I think the priorities you and your team are setting are the problem.
If you really want to improve your software, you could stop building sites for some time.
Then you will have some time for your products.
It's so easy Cool

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
Yeah, it is a bit of an excuse, but custom projects are what pay the bills.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
Hi,

just my two cents and to bring the topic up:

I've made a gt-links-brake, look deep into other products, and come back again to gt links. For me, it could be still one of the best products, because it's simple, has a very, very good template structure and language and is understandable even for non-programmers as I am. It is flexible as hell, imho more than any other product, and it seems to me also very safe. I've had a couple of problems with PHP-Products, but bever with gt links.

But I've said, it could be ... why? It is much too expensive and can't compete with other similar products which cost only about 80$ to 120$. Make a price like this, if you don't want to make it open source, and maybe there would be a positive effect.

The templates ... sure you need new templates without td and with css-structures. I'm sure that the're a lot of users (me of course) who would buy such a simple template, where you can choose between one, two and three columns, which is XHTML valid. If I only knew, that the product lives, I wouldn't wait not 5 Minutes and buy such a template for maybe 50$ or so ... I guess there would be other users too.

And of course a new version. I think it don't has to be a totally new one, but with some important changes. The new templates, SEO-Links per default, a little CMS (like page builder plugin), and connections: facebook, vbulletin, twitter, and all the other fancy and modern stuff. But stay as simple to modify as today and maybe it could be a new success.

I like the product very, very much, but the d-day (deprecation day) maybe is not far away ...

Kai
Quote Reply
Re: [kailew] Suggestion: Future version update to support Wizard like customization. In reply to
ok, I was told it cannot be done, not possible.

Well why don't you look at
"Open Realty"
http://www.open-realty.org/open-realty-features.html

which does exactly like this & more for FREE or pay $100 for PRO version.

What I asked for was able to add my own fields in search & listing display with easy (GUI) without the need to learn coding. They did it, why can't your $650 script do that?

Is your company closing down soon? I haven't even any update in years.
Quote Reply
What exactly were you trying to do? Adding new fields is simple - Database > Links > Properties > Add Field

To search by them is simple too: search.cgi?query=*;fieldname=somevalue

What actual feature are you talking about on Open Reality, that GLinks can't do?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
ok, adding fields into mySQL maybe easy once you learn it.

Now how do you add these fields in Search Page, results page & listing page.

why don't you checkout "Open Realty", it is a free download. adding new field is all GUI & no coding required to add to these pages... just drag & drop as well as place it on these pages in few minutes.

If you don't want to accept the issue or deficiency current LinkSQL has then it is too bad.

To make it easy here is the direct link of their documentation page with screenshot on fields.
http://docs.transparent-tech.com/...tml?quickeditor.html

Thanks
Quote Reply
Hi,

Trust me - adding field IS simple Angelic

That link you gave - how do you add new fields there? I can see there are "pre defined" ones... but I can't see anywhere to add new fields yourself? (which, you would still need to know basic MySQL field column types to add...i.e INT, CHAR, TEXT, etc Whistle)

Quote:
Now how do you add these fields in Search Page, results page & listing page.

Easy... you add them via Database > Links > Properties > Add Field.#

Then in include_form.html (the form used in add.cgi and modify.cgi), just add the new HTML. If you wanna use the luna style format, you can just use this plugin I wrote, which gives you copy+paste content for the fields:

http://www.ultranerds.co.uk/...x/MakeFormHTML_L273/

To search... its a similar thing. I really don't see how much easier it could be (especially if you want to have the ability to highly customize your design, which I very much doubt the "wizard" thing you said about allows for... at least not to the same extent)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
again,
http://docs.transparent-tech.com/open-realty/latest/index.html?quickeditor.html
Click on =>, then you see next page, I don't want to spoon feed. I see it clearly.
No html coding also needed.
You enter name, type & field etc, then select location where you want that field on the page also options for search field page & results page.

My posting was to make Gossamer team aware of what is out their & is Missing & not spend time trying to justify one product over another.

If you want to accept the reality or not is up to you.

But thanks for the plugin, I waited so many years for it.

Had the team been more innovative & decided to code little more & add this into the LinkSQL, it would get new life.
Quote Reply
I still don't personally think it looks that much more flexible, but maybe thats just me Angelic

Either way - I'm agreed on one thing... it would be nice to see some new features/updates from GLinks Whistle

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk