Gossamer Forum
> >
Quote Reply
My Plugins
This is a notice to any users of my plugins or anyone wishing to download them.

I will be asking Alex to remove all traces of them from the download area sometime before the weekend.

If anyone wants to grab a copy of any of them, then now is your time. After that point, they will no longer be available and must not be distributed by anyone.

Existing customers of commerical plugins such as MyLinks will still be able to obtain copies if they need to but should email pwilson@wiredon.net to get them.

There will be no further upgrades nor support.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] My Plugins In reply to
If you don't mind me asking, what has led this decision, Paul?
Quote Reply
Re: [Forum Bot] My Plugins In reply to
Oh yeah, mind asking why Paul? you and your awesome plugins have always contributed greatly to this place!
Quote Reply
Re: [Forum Bot] My Plugins In reply to
I'd love to fill you all in, seriously, but about 5000 lines of private messages have been exchanged regarding the matter and if I were to censor it, it would look silly and if I showed you everything the thread would be deleted.
Quote Reply
My Plugins In reply to
I have decided that I will no longer be writing any new plug-ins for the same reason as Paul.

Try maybe 1- 2000 hours of programing and supporting plugins.

I am going to release User Monitor 2, the other plugins I have not decided what I am doing with yet. I may port all future versions to a compiled version only to prevent unwanted use or distribution of them when I decide to no longer support them.

Unfortunatley it would be wrong to publically state my case.

I will be running a poll on my own site to see how many people can run pre-compiled code on their existing servers.

Poll: http://www.macscripts.com/...um.cgi?post=468;#468

(you need to be registered and given accesss to this private area to vote... just pm me on macscripts if you want to vote)

Any other news will be available through my support forum.

Thanks

Last edited by:

Ian: Sep 19, 2002, 8:12 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] My Plugins In reply to
Man...not gonna be a lot left of Links SQL plugins after you guys leave Frown All over such a stupid thing too!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] My Plugins In reply to
Wow - that's come as a bit of a shock. I have no idea what this is about but I just wanted to say that its very sad and I hope that you both change your minds.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] My Plugins In reply to
I second that Laura.

NOTE TO ALEX and JACK:
Please review the issues and see if there is a mutually beneficial outcome possible. If not I appreciate your looking into it anyway.
Quote Reply
Well, that ticks me off on so many levels...so you'll be doing the next UM but what about Editor Monitor and ToolBox? You were planning some features that would be really helpfoul to me.
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] My Plugins In reply to
Quote:
NOTE TO ALEX and JACK:
Please review the issues and see if there is a mutually beneficial outcome possible. If not I appreciate your looking into it anyway.

That's what a lot of the 5000 lines are. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] My Plugins In reply to
Hi Alex,

I do not understand 5000 lines?
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] My Plugins In reply to
5000 lines refers to the number of lines contained in the Private Messages between Alex and Paul/Ian, i.e. they have been writing lots of pms.
Quote Reply
Re: [Dafyyd] My Plugins In reply to
In Reply To:
5000 lines refers to the number of lines contained in the Private Messages between Alex and Paul/Ian, i.e. they have been writing lots of pms.

Off topic: ahhh, now i know why i am waiting about nearly a year for gt_community. alex is busy with writing pm's !!!

Wink Crazy

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] My Plugins In reply to
I've spent well over $1500 on gossemer products and plugins, and my database dies a couple of weeks ago and I find out that the plugins I need to restore everything are no longer available. I'm definitly not a happy camper. I don't understand all the subtext in this thread, but I would like to let Ian and Paul know that your plugins are invaluable and add a lot to the LSQL experience.

I would love to have an explanation on what is going on.

If you guys are being shut down by Goassamer, I would like to know that so I can stop throwing money at them. I've already bought AdCycle, Threads, and LSQL from them and was about to buy the Mail program and community when it comes out.

PS. Paul your review plugin kicked but and I would love to get my hands on it again. Guys please work this thing out.
Quote Reply
Re: [Demolitioncrew] My Plugins In reply to
In case Alex doesn't see this post,

GT has been nothing but supportive of 3rd party developers.

Paul and Ian's decisions had nothing to do with GT "shutting them down".

I chose GT products due to their stability, reliability, and professionalism. Perhaps you should make sure *ALL* the software you need to run and grow your business meets GT's extremely high professional standards before you link your future to them.

I did months of evaluation before I chose GT and their products, and have been patient in the time it has taken to release new features and products, because the quality, and long-term benefits have outweighed going with *ANY* other company, or lesser quality software. I have not been disappointed, and in most cases completely awed by the products released.

Alex has a vision, and has created something truly world-class.

What I'm saying, is don't link GT and their products to any 3rd party developers, (including myself) when evaluating their products. Without their basic engine, none of the 3rd party products would be worth anything -- and GT has created an engine that allows easy (and easier each release) 3rd party development and feature enhancements.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi demolitioncrew,

Just contact Paul direct via email or through his website. I am sure he will be able to help you out.

Cool
Quote Reply
Hi,

There are no issues (that I know of) between GT and specifically Alex and I. We communicate and get along just fine. I have even threatened to drop in and see Alex when I am next in Vancouver (I live not very far away).

Part of my reason to no longer develop NEW plugins is outlined below. I am still selling my plug-ins, in fact I released a major upgrade to User Monitor the other day. You can still see all of these plug-ins just as they were in the download area.

I am not developing NEW plugins primarily due to not have the time whilst my company developes software in C++ / Objective C (and a little perl) for the PC, Unix, Mac OS X and for web based applications. I just released the first little application the other day and it was a huge hit. :) I might add the first couple of applications we are releasing will go directly hand in hand with and SUPPORT an exisiting user of Links SQL.
(like iuSpider for instance - which is a tool for visitors to your site).

The other reason is directly releated to pugdog and an incident between us which I won't discuss here.

There are quite a few developers on this support forum who can easily write code for a small fee (less than contracting a programming company etc). In fact there is enough help around here that even if you are only an new comer to perl you can learn it in a few short months as I did just this year. Its fun and it will greatly benefit what you can do for your websites with a minimum of cost.

I do not receive private message on Gossamer Forum as I simply do not get time to visit the forum as much as I would like to. I am on my own support forum daily however so if you would like to contact me you can simply message me there.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Quote:
I have even threatened to drop in and see Alex

I like the use of the word "threatened" Wink
Quote Reply
OMG Paul..whats with the Avatar Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] My Plugins In reply to
Andy,
your private email at Ace Installer is not working properly, and emails sent to you are returned.
Just to let you know..
Regards..
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark2] My Plugins In reply to
Yeah, thanks for that. Its a problem on my server....the support team will hopefully haveit sorted soon ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Those who have decided on NOT availing the community with their plug-in creations any longer should consider this scenario:

1: Large well-known corporate company purchases all GT technologies and products due to the overwhelming success and penetration of these top products.
2: Plug-in authors are given the chance of selling all rights to their code in return for large payments over $18,000 USD for EACH plug-in.
3: Those who didn’t make available their plugins are weeping now - so sorry for them.

All right only tease, but this scenario is actually true for a small shareware software company a while back whose community programmers received a large payout after a take-over. I always think of this whenever successful authors decide to pullout distributing their products for whatever reason.

Not being a Perl programmer myself, but an individual handy with JavaScript creations, I am very pleased to offer free codes or otherwise in the hopes of accruing further work and recognition to increase my businesses and I recognize the potential loss of this benefit should I stop.

I don’t, of course, know the 100% reason for these decisions, but often believe such actions in the long term, are akin to shooting one's self in the foot!

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] My Plugins In reply to
Quote:
2: Plug-in authors are given the chance of selling all rights to their code in return for large payments over $18,000 USD for EACH plug-in.

Heh, there's more to life than money :)
Quote Reply
Quote:
I don’t, of course, know the 100% reason for these decisions, but often believe such actions in the long term, are akin to shooting one's self in the foot!

Hi Colin, actually sales are up ;) And I am gaining even more attention from business outside of this community.

Handing code over as a free licence can be advantagous for gaining exposure, but I think this scenario is quite different, as exposure is unlikely to change much. Plugins are advertised in the plug-in download area regardless of licence and price.

Also, if it is not viable for a company to write code, then the users will ultiimately suffer, as developement and support or even new products will not exist in the same form.

I plan on releasing software under the GPL for unix command line as well as Mac OS X desktop (cocoa). My company has been given a developer code by Apple Computer Inc. and this will be a good vehicle to promote our business and eventually sell our commercial products.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Don't worry....I'm still developing new Plugins, and there are sure to be a few other people too. If Paul doesn't bring back his ones, I may re-develop a few similar ones (like the MyLinks one, obviously my own codes, but the same idea) Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >