Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Login via Social media instead of having unencrypted passwords

Quote Reply
Login via Social media instead of having unencrypted passwords
Hey Andy,

In your post (@ https://www.gossamer-threads.com/forum/Products_C9/Gossamer_Links_C5/Development%2C_Plugins_and_Globals_F20/encrypted_passwords_P315862/?search_string=encrypted%20password#p315862 ) you mentioned using Social Media Login instead feature.

How did you manage that? is there any plug-in for that?

Also, is 'Social Media' Login the 'only' way or along with the Social Media Login option, users can still use the default registration option?

Note: As I understand right-now passwords are stored unencrypted, or is there a way to encrypt them?

Thank you.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [VishalT] Login via Social media instead of having unencrypted passwords In reply to
Hi Vishal,

Probably Andy indeed has something lo login via social media.
The standard process uses plain-text passwords and the forgotten password functions sends these passwords via E-Mail to your users.
Both not very much liked these days though receiving a forgotten password has more comfort but less security.
We had to change it and used

Code:
use Crypt::PBKDF2;

Regards

n||i||k||o
Quote Reply
Re: [VishalT] Login via Social media instead of having unencrypted passwords In reply to
Hi,

For encrypted passwords, the easiest method if to use GCommunity. This has salt-based passwords (with the option to turn on plain text).

For the social media stuff its a bit trickier. I wrote my own FB login method to do it. There was a plugin that did it:

https://www.gossamer-threads.com/...al_networks_P314233/

But looking at the link its dead now,. so I'm guessing its not updated / available any more.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!