Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

PageBuilder Plugin

(Page 1 of 3)
> >
Quote Reply
PageBuilder Plugin
I have been working on a plugin, which allows you to build and display additional pages from within the Links SQL admin. Simple examples would be: "About Us" page, "FAQ" page.

Features (so far);

1. Page definitions are stored in database (including descriptions, keywords, meta-tags etc.)

2. The pages are completely template based, and you will be able to use all the globals/includes of your default category.

3. Pages can be viewed in static and/or dynamic mode (configurable per page)

4. The pages are related amongst themselves through a page hierarchiy (i.e. page A is subpage of page B). This allows for automatic breadcrumb navigation (like the category struction in Links SQL)

5. There are various page types: simple (e.g. "About Us") pages, but also pages associated with a link, a category, a user, an editor, a review. This feature is very powerful, because it allows you to build any number of pages for e.g. a link (detailed view 2, printable view) or a user (user details).

6. Pages can have build conditions: for link/user etc pages, you can specify for which link/user etc the page is built (e.g. only for links which have are premium links)

7. Page can be viewed conditionally. This allows you to only give access to the page to certain people (e.g. the owner of the link, registered users) or to everybody (this is only for the dynamic mode, of course).

I would like to hear some feedback on this, comments, suggestions, feature requests etc etc.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins

Last edited by:

yogi: Jun 10, 2002, 12:19 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
Very cool Idea Yogi.

I was just taking about an editor profile page recently and I can see how creating this would allow a person to be closer to creating a whole website just from LinksSQL.

A couple ideas:

1. Doorway pages: Allow for the creation of multiple front door pages to be tailored to specific search engines in the meta tagging and content. Can this be done and still only show the top level URL?

2. Use policy, privacy statement, copyright, faq, about us, general contact, advertising, affiliate program, etc... could use this function of page creation and keep it all within the LinksSQL site.

3. The creation of a wireless friendly format page would be cool as well.

Great Idea!Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
Yes, the idea is exactly that a whole website can be built very easily from within Links SQL.

1. You could for example build pages for every category, or for every link. Meta tags could be whatever is in the category/links database.

What do you precisely mean by "show the top level URL"?

2. Exactly.

3. What is a "wireless" friendly page format?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
1. Each search engine has its own algorythm. So having a front page for each that can be modified for each engine is a major plus. Showing top level URL only means www.you.com rather than www.you.com/google.htm, www.you.com/altavista.htm, etc...

3. Wireless friendly comes in multiple applications. WAP and HTML are the most common and in the future the HTML side will surely win. Wireless friendly would put the content in a format that could be read by a handheld device such as a cell phone. The format is generally VERY basic and much smaller in size. WAP requires something more to be seen as well.
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
1. You could certainly create all the different pages with the PageBuilder plugin. To actually make the search engines believe they see the top level URL would involve your webserver directly (a redirection based on UserAgent), as far as I can see.

2. If you want your whole site in WAP, you are probably better off building a complete template set. If you want some additional pages (for every link, let's say) that are "wireless friendly", that could be done through the plugin.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Very cool Yogi.

Sounds like a nice piece of work. I look forward to it.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Good one Ivan,

This is something Links needs.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Yep, would be a great addition. Super! Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
I have finished a beta version of the plugin.

At the moment, it supports simple pages, pages per link, and pages per category. You can view the pages you created in static mode, or in dynamic mode. In dynamic mode you simply point your browser to page.cgi?page=about (or whatever the name of the page is).

I have attached some screenshots of different page types.

If you are interested in beta-testing it, email or PM me.

BTW: you need Links SQL version 2.1.1 for this plugin.

Ivan
-----

Last edited by:

yogi: Jun 20, 2002, 6:27 AM
Quote Reply
Cool plugin, hope it'll be release soon! thank you!
Quote Reply
I just tried to build an extra detailed page and got this:

Unable to build link page: detailed4.
Filename and/or directory should contain of one the following tags:

All done. Total Time: (0.00 s)

It doesn't have any tags listed ... Yogi ?
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
I will be able to have a look at it tomorrow. Sorry for the troubles. Blush

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Hi all,

I have fixed the bugs, as far as I can see. I will send the updated version to the beta-testers.

Here is some documentation, mainly on what the fields on the add page screen mean:

1. every page has a name (Page Name), which has to be unique. When you add a new page, a template with the corresponding name (+ .html) is added in the pagebuilder template directory. You can edit the template from the plugin menu.

2. Page Title -> no special meaning, just plain page title

3. Build directory: relative directory from build_root (you can specify build_root in "Plugins -> PageBuilder -> Edit", if empty the build_root of links will be taken).

3. Build filename: filename, if empty -> build_index (e.g. index.html). If you are defining a link page (see below), you need to choose a unique filename or directory, i.e. you need to put in <%LinkID%> in one of the two fields. Filename could be e.g. test-<%LinkID%>.html (<%LinkID%> will be replaced by the corresponding LinkID

4. Page Type: Simple -> simple page, Link -> build such a page for every link (you can use all the tags of the link in the corresponding template), Category -> analogous to Link

5. Parent page: like parent category, establishes hierarchy.

6. Breadcrumb type: simple -> use hierarchy defined by parent page, Link (only for link pages) -> Home: Cat: SubCat: ... : Detailed: This Page, Category -> same as above, leave out the Detailed stuff. Play with the settings and you will know how it works.

7. Build Condition: here you can enter a simple build condition SQL style (for static building, as well as for dynamic displaying), e.g this could be Description LIKE %New York% (building pages for all links which contain 'New York' in the description field).

8. Build static: yes/no

9. View permissions for dynamic mode. Restrict access depending on user status.

10. Display dynamic: yes/no

I hope that gets you going.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Wow, it works fine now Angelic. I am impressed.
Quote Reply
Hi Yogi:

Sounds very impressive and exciting. A couple of things that you may like to consider.....

I have a build_root directory of /directory.

My Home Page is in the websites root directory ie. one level ABOVE the build_root directory - I use SSI to mirror the index.shtml contained in /directory (there are a number of very good reasons why I opted for this). Will there be an option to place pages ABOVE the build_root directory?

You mentioned that each page needs to have a 'unique' name. Does this mean that if you have a directory structure, where you need an index.html file in each one, then this will not be possible with this plugin? If so, it will limit its functionality somewhat.

Just a couple of thoughts .... and .....

Keep up the good work! Wink

Regards,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
Hi Clint,

1. You can select the PageBuilder root directory and root URL. This allows you to do what you want, i.e place the PageBuilder root directory above your Links SQL root directory. You could also place it below, if you wish to do so.

2. There is a difference between what I call "Page Name" and the directory/filename of that page. The "Page Name" field is indeed required to be unique, since the corresponding template will be named accordingly. The directory/filename is completely decoupled from the "page name", and it can be anything you like. So you can have as many index.html files in as many directories you like, provided they all have a unique "page name".

I hope that answers your question.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Ivan:

Answers my questions .... sure does! Sly

.... and it sounds very impressive. I believe it could be exactly what I have been looking for.

All the best,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Yogi,

would it be possible to have the "build page" function called each time I do Build > Build changes ?

As it is now, I have to build changes and then build pages in the plug in section. Isn't there one to may here, or do I not really need to build "twice" in static mode?

Also, when I created a page that has a link page as a "bread crumb", the page spanning that works on the "normal" link page is not working on the "second" link page.Why? Can you help me with this please?

Just an idea. Great plug in.

PS: When do I pay you? Wink

Last edited by:

nt6: Jun 24, 2002, 12:30 PM
Quote Reply
I might make an option for the automatic building.

Could you elaborate more on the "bread crumb" and the "second" link page?

It should work like this: if you have a "link" page, and this page has father pages (i.e. pages higher up in the hierarchy) that are also link pages, the breadcrumb should be fine. It does not work if you have "simple" page, which has a "link" page as father page (because that does not make sense in my opinion).

As regards paying: now that's what I call a good customer! Cool I suggest you pay once the plugin is 'officially' released.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I might make an option for the automatic building.

For me I think it is a must. I also have your links forum plugin so that make three synchronizing steps for each link addition... A bit confusing sometimes.

In Reply To:
Could you elaborate more on the "bread crumb" and the "second" link page?

It should work like this: if you have a "link" page, and this page has father pages (i.e. pages higher up in the hierarchy) that are also link pages, the breadcrumb should be fine. It does not work if you have "simple" page, which has a "link" page as father page (because that does not make sense in my opinion).

I have a second detailed page that has a link bread crumb. I would like to be able to go to the next and previous link page in the category just like on a regular detailed page. This also is a must for me. We already have over 2000 links and I would like the browsing to be as smooth and quick as possible.

Hey, I really hate having to even ask my clients for paying me when I always try to give them the best I got.

Last edited by:

nt6: Jun 24, 2002, 1:11 PM
Quote Reply
How do I get the plug in If I wanna Try it?

Sounds good?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
I haven't thought before of integrating the building into the normal building process because I mainly use the plugin for "simple" static pages, i.e. pages like "About Us". They change not so often, so I would rebuild them when I change something on those pages.

But it's a good point you are making.

Thanks for the explanation, now I understand the spanning thing. I will add that of course. You will get a new version tomorrow.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Cool, I will be waiting Cool

PS: This plugin can do much more than just build static "about us" pages, trust me Yogi Wink

Last edited by:

nt6: Jun 24, 2002, 1:24 PM
Quote Reply
What kinds of things can it do that you are referring to? I really like the idea of this plugin, am curious about it's potential uses. Smile
Quote Reply
Just a quick update:

1. the plugin can now also handle user specific pages (in dynamic mode, there are still some issues to be solved for static mode).

2. the building of the pages can now be linked to the normal building process (there are admin options to switch this on/off).

3. the "List All" feature has been improved. It now gives a nice overview of all the pages, see attached screenshot.

First release will be soon.

Ivan
-----

Last edited by:

yogi: Jun 27, 2002, 3:20 AM
> >