Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Workaround for no chmod on NT Server?

Quote Reply
Workaround for no chmod on NT Server?
I am trying to run the install.cgi from a web browser to complete the installation of FORUMS on a remote NT Server, and am getting:
  • Unable to write to directory (e:/webs/10511/aes-asset_tracker/images). Reason: (Permission denied)

My research tells me this is because NT Servers do not support chmod and since I just created this "images" directory, the web server will not allow an anonymous user (which I believe what the install.cgi user is) upload/unpack images into this directory. If I am correct, what is the work around, aside from having a support rep manually set the permissions of my image directory for me? There must be a better solution? Telnet or something?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

• Quote Reply
    Re: [jasonnorth] Workaround for no chmod on NT Server? In reply to
    Mmm....I've never actually encountered this problem. Could you ask your server admin to set up that folder with your permissions? Sounds like a user problem.

Andy (mod)
    andy@ultranerds.co.uk
    Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
    GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
    Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
    Quote Reply
    If you are running IIS, you would have to set write permissions on the folder to allow the anonymous web user (IUSR_ServerName) to write. Otherwise, running the script from the command line via telnet should work.

Sean
    Quote Reply
    Re: [SeanP] Workaround for no chmod on NT Server? In reply to
    So everytime I create a new folder on IIS via ftp prog I have to ask the admin to set the permission for me?? INSANE! There must be an automated solution.

???????????
    Quote Reply
    Do you have a web site admin tool which will allow you to change the directory permissions manually?

Should run fine once you do that, or have your hosting service do it for you.
    Quote Reply
    You might be able to try running CACLS or XCACLS from telnet to change permissions. It all depends on how they have things setup. When a new file or folder is created in Windows, it typically inherits the permissions from the folder where is was created. Probably what is happening, is they only allow your account write access to the folder you FTP into. Then, when you try to access a script via your browser, it uses the anonymous user account. If the anonymous account doesn't have write access, it will give you an access denied error.

Sean
    Quote Reply
    Re: [SeanP] Workaround for no chmod on NT Server? In reply to
    Thanks so much for your reply guys. I will look into your ideas and see what I learn.

Jason