Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem

Quote Reply
[ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem
Hi,

I'm currently working on a new plugin, which will let people purchase a "membership" to your site, for a set amount of money.

I'm just really going over the major features I want it to have, and would be interested to hear from other people about anything they would like to see in it. Its not going to be a very cheap plugin, so will be pretty feature packed.

The main things I envisage it having are:

1) Ability to make instant payment (via PayPal, at least to start with)
2) Choice of how long they want to buy a membership for (this will be customizable by the admin)
3) Emails sent out to them, asking them if they want to auto-renew when their membership expires (and also xx days before their account expires)
4) Admin interface so you can manually process a payment for a user (or just update an account, without making a payment)
5) Logging of purchases
6) If a user adds (for example) another month to their membership, it will automatically take into consideration the amount of time they still have on their account (i.e if they have 6 days left, it will add the month to their current expiry date, instead of just giving them 30 days from the day they made the purchase)
7) A "members area", where they can renew their memberships / view their purchase details (from previous transactions), and maybe a few other details.

I'm not looking at doing auto-recurring, as that is a REAL pain in the backside to get working with PayPal (and from previous attempts, has a lot of potential to go wrong, and not update their accounts)

I look forward to hearing your comments and ideas :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem In reply to
Hi Andy,
interesting idea. Is it working with community as well?

An option, for non paybal users would be nice.
Just a form where they can send their interest on registration, that ist automatically responded by an email with my bankaccount information.
After the user sent me the money (for this I have to check my bank account, that's clear). I can validate the this user.

I hope you understand :-)
Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
A wonderful plugin idea Andy.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Memerbship/user group whose submitted listed will be auto-approved, while non-member would still need to go through approval process.
2) Membership/user group that can submit only x number of listings in total.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] [ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem In reply to
Hi,

Matthias70 wrote:
Hi Andy,
interesting idea. Is it working with community as well?

An option, for non paybal users would be nice.
Just a form where they can send their interest on registration, that ist automatically responded by an email with my bankaccount information.
After the user sent me the money (for this I have to check my bank account, that's clear). I can validate the this user.

I hope you understand :-)
Matthias

Thanks for the replies guys.

For now, its going to be a GLinks thing - but I will no doubt "port" it over to GComm too in the future, once all the core coding is done (and bug fixes =))

Regarding the option for non-paypal payment options, that sounds fine. I will be adding a feature in the admin panel, when you just enter the username you want to make a member, and when their account should expire. You can then arrange manual payment with the member (i.e via Cheque, bank transfer, or however you want to deal with it =))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] [ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem In reply to
Hi,
SWDevil.Com wrote:
A wonderful plugin idea Andy.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Memerbship/user group whose submitted listed will be auto-approved, while non-member would still need to go through approval process.
2) Membership/user group that can submit only x number of listings in total.

I like these ideas =)

I think I'm going to split this plugin into 2 seperate ones. The main idea (when I thought of it), was aimed more at content based sites. For example, clipart memberships, file downloads, premium content, adult sites (Wink), and basically people who have content like that on them.

However, taking it from a point of view that people pay a premium price to get the ability to add more listings (or get them auto-approved) is quite a nifty idea =)

Think I'll call them:

MembershipSystemLinks
MembershipSystemContent

..or similar :D

I'm going to work on the content based one first - as I believe there will be more demand for that one (and money is very tight here at the moment :().

I'll post some updates once I have something to show <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Wonderful plugin idea Andy hope you have fun with it.

What type of security features will you add to this?
How do you intend to stop the Website Copiers?

Will the site be index ble for the engines or because of the membership requirements will the lead in page be the only accessible page?

SandraR

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] [ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Wonderful plugin idea Andy hope you have fun with it.

haha I already am <G>

Quote:
What type of security features will you add to this?

Well, to be honest - if someone isn't a paid member, they simply won't be able to get in =)

On detailed.html, you will be able to do stuff like:

Code:
<%if PAID_MEMBER = 1%>
show normal member page
<%elsif EXPIRED_MEMBER%>
show them a link to re-enable their account by another payment =)
<%else%>
could show a "selling" page, or even a short extract of what they would get for the membership here :)
<%endif%>

Quote:
How do you intend to stop the Website Copiers?

Unfortunately, thats not really possible on any site (even bog standard GLinks sites are prone to this). Its a real nightmare - but there isn't a lot you can do about it, apart from checking your access_log, to see if a certain IP address has been accessing the site silly amounts of times in one day (like 1000's of times).

Quote:
Will the site be index ble for the engines or because of the membership requirements will the lead in page be the only accessible page?

Nope, search engines will only be able to see what is on this bit (in bold):

Code:
<%if PAID_MEMBER = 1%>
show normal member page
<%elsif EXPIRED_MEMBER%>
show them a link to re-enable their account by another payment =)
<%else%>
could show a "selling" page, or even a short extract of what they would get for the membership here :)
<%endif%>

This will allow you to put in some sales blurb, a short "sample" of what you are selling (for SEO "food"), maybe a small clipart image (if you sites is graphics orientated =) - pretty much anything, depending on what you are doing.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

Another small suggestion:
  • Member/user group options, where any Listing/s NON-MODIFIED in last x number of months, will auto expire as specified by Admin.
  • Very Importont :Also, about 'x' weeks (as specified within admin setup options) before the listing deletion, system will automatically send an email to Link Owner informing their listing is set to auto-expire on dd-month-yyyy if they do not update it. (would be a easy to keep website information paged)
Thanks again for creating a very interesting plug-in.

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] [ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem In reply to
Hi,
SWDevil.Com wrote:
Hi Andy,

Another small suggestion:
  • Member/user group options, where any Listing/s NON-MODIFIED in last x number of months, will auto expire as specified by Admin.
  • Very Importont :Also, about 'x' weeks (as specified within admin setup options) before the listing deletion, system will automatically send an email to Link Owner informing their listing is set to auto-expire on dd-month-yyyy if they do not update it. (would be a easy to keep website information paged)
Thanks again for creating a very interesting plug-in.
These features would really need to be a custom set of features (i.e a custom job). Its just making the plugin too diverse, to the point people would get confused with the features / not even need them =) (it sounds more like just something you're after Tongue)

BTW - the plugin is coming along. Its just taking a while, due to the complexity of it :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I suppose you are right. Will have to contact you in a bit once you done working on your existing workload. :)

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [ WORKING ON ] - MembershipSystem In reply to
Hi,

Just so everyone knows, I am now happy the plugin is finished. Its the "content based" version, as I put in my initial post.

Basically, it lets people pay for xx amount of days for access to your site.

Its pretty comprehensive in terms of the features (thus the amount of time it took to program it =))

The price is going to be $300, but this is included in the ULTRA Package Pro. I'm afraid I can not put it in the ULTRA Package, as that is only $350, so just makes no business sense at all Angelic

Anyway, I'll get back to writing the documentation - and eventually adding it to our site / posting an announcement on the forum :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

This plugin is now officially released. I havn't had time to put together a full post for this forum, but I will do tomorrow morning. Been a long day already =)

You can see a selection of screenshots here, with short descriptions as to what they are about:

http://www.ultranerds.com/...ip_system_screenshot

The actual product page is here:

http://www.ultranerds.com/...mbershipSystem_L203/

Feel free to ask any questions, but they won't be answered until tomorrow, as I need to go out and relax for a bit :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk