Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[Update] Recip Link Checker Pro

Quote Reply
[Update] Recip Link Checker Pro
I'm rewriting parts of the reciprocal Link Checker to have a bit more functionality.

Not sure what package it will be part of, but the unit price will probably be at least $75. Once it's all cleaned up and prettified, the final price could be in the $150 area, as it's designed to be a revenue generator, and we'll be adding features to it as requested.

In addition to the features already in it, I'm adding in:

-> ability to give out a standard "link back" url code for cut/paste
-> ability to give out customized "link back" code to track who is sending you clicks
-> ability to give out customized link back code for each category, to increase link spots in your site
-> ability to store the URL of where your link is located, and hopefully to make sure it matches at least domain of link
(or optionally, to keep the link on the URL Of the page/link submitted).
-> ability to limit the category linkback code to no more than N levels (eg: 2 levels down)
(eg: user submits to /cat/sub1/sub2/sub3/sub4/ the link back is to /cat/sub1/sub2)
(optionally, to make sure the page of the link-back system is no more than three /'s deep in a site)
-> integration with the payment system to allow "standard" listings with link back.

and a few others.

It's a more powerful concept, for a site seeking SEO/SER/SEP rather than dollars as a primary revenue model.

I'll be working on this this weekend, if you have any suggestions or ideas for this, please let me know.

This rewrite is for a specific customer, but I'll be generalizing as many routines as possible to release it as a plugin.

It should be part of the UltraPro package, and we'll be starting to enforce the annual renewals announced last year. We've been behind due to work overload, but we will be getting the ducks in order. The renewal fees are designed to cover costs and work involved in maintaining existing plugins through Links?GLinks revisions, protocol or feature changes, and feature additions. As well as the introduction of new plugins like the Comments/Blogger/Wiki which has been on hold a few weeks due to other work, and this "Pro" upgrade of the Recip Checker. More information has been posted on the http://ultranerds.com site for awhile. GL3 rewrites of some plugins are being done. Keep your on the http://ultranerds.com/forum site for details.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [Update] Recip Link Checker Pro In reply to
Andy built in a bunch of nice (hidden) features, so this is shaping up well.

It's being cleaned up, and I'm trying to port some of it over to the new formats.

Right now, it's really set up to scan to make sure your target URL is on the page. Because of how sites set up their link pages, that seemed to be the only logical thing to do. I guess it could check TWO fields, a text field and the URL field, separately, looking for the linking text, then the URL. But there are so many ways to be deceptive, that nothing is going to be sure fire, except manually looking for the URL/link on the page with your own eyballs.

Recip links will be set to never expire, and if the recip checker finds they are missing, they are "expired".

Paid links or your standard links, are managed separately.

Links are rejected if the URL is found to exist in the URL field, or the Reciprocal_URL is duplicated. You don't want to give 9 listings on your site, for ONE on theirs. I haven't decided to check if URL exists in the Reciprocal_URL and vice versa, or why I'd want to do that, other than it sounds shakey if it would happen.

There are all sorts of permutations of this, but right now, it asks if you want to add a link.
You have the option of "paid" (and then enter the pay system) or "Free" (and you have to have a reciprocal link).

I'm working to allow the system to accept "priority" status in exchange for a free link, *but* because of limitations within the Links system, I may enable this *only* if payments are not enabled. It starts to get really funky, for something that should be fairly simple.

If you run a free directory, you can give "priority" status to links with a recip.

If you run a paid directory, you can give 'standard' status to links (paid links show higher than unpaid)

I want this to be as 'compatible' with the internal system as possible, rather than rewriting it.

Suggestions welcome.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
How about a feature where it also checks for the "Description" or "Linking Text" as required by the admin. Also, here is a url for a pretty good script : http://www.linkautomate.com/features.html

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] [Update] Recip Link Checker Pro In reply to
The problem with some of the checks is one of reality.

People do not simply put links on the page, in HTML like they used to. They use all sorts of programs, similar to links, and that means multiple formats, and problems with validating the html.

The longer the block of text is to be checked, the more likely it will fail a check, even if it's in compliance.

This is why I said with two fields, you can check for the linking text, as well as the URL, but without going beyond my real interest in this, it starts to get really complicated.

You won't catch everybody. But if the page you are on is near the top of the same domain, (http://domain.com/level1/level2/) and the link text and URL is found on the page, then at the very least the search engines will see and count your link.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
1. What's the status of the Recip Link Pro plugin?

2. Is there a demo?

3. Can admin add links manually but still spider a site later?

4. Can recip URL be required for some links but not others? (In case you just want to add some cool sites that won't necessarily link back to you)

5. Would be nice too if it could do a check of the Link Text, as well, to make sure that your recip text is what you want

<a href="http://www.morebeer.com">Frosty Cold with Pizza</a>

I'm looking for a full-powered recip link tool. It would be soooooo great to have to help build traffic

Cheers Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 15, 2006, 4:18 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] [Update] Recip Link Checker Pro In reply to
Hi,

The short answer is it's on hold.

The customer funding the bulk of development had a change of vision, shall we say, and the entire project that was funding this and other work ended.

I went back to my original project (from 1999) updated a little for the new 'net, and will be releasing it, and updated plugins probably as an ImageSQL "Lite" or "Image SQL MP" (for Models & Photographers).

In my last update on this, I wasn't sure what/if the "lite" version would be, but I had a light bulb flip on, and have a good, workable idea for a stable "lite" version that is not simply a stripped down version of the "Pro" or full version. It's a fully functional, and enabled system and feature set, but it lacks the characteristics that will allow it to manage a *large* database of submittors and submissions. The pro version will use a much more modified system, and structure, and will (theoretically) be able to handle anything as large as GLinks can handle. It should be able to import your "Lite" database into the "pro" version, depending on how you've modifed it, and your needs for the initial seeding of the "pro" version.

It will incorporate a large number of plugins -- thumbnailing, uploading, multiple file management, comments, ratings (advanced system), "blogging" and similar features. It is a workable, reasonable, and marketable program and feature set.

IT's been 7+ years in the making.

For now, reciprocal links is not one of the planned upgrages, but it might be, depending on how the paid-submissions feature is reworked into the "gallery" system.

I realize, that my hopes of pleasing everyone are not going to happen, as even with a fully flexible SQL database, SQL Engine and Template parser, certain decisions and design directions had to be taken and used, otherwise the program would simply get out of hand (which is what was happening with last year).

Of course, after reading the long answer, it's always possible to hire us to build or develop a plugin or system :)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Thanks, pugdog Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
The Recip Link Checker Pro features you listed in first message, are very interesting.
I see possibilities in such a script, having mixed its original features with category possibilities of LSQL...
But the Recip Link Checker Pro should be able to run as stand-alone script, too.

Bad to hear, this project it's on hold.
This could be a really effective SEO script...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 17, 2006, 4:35 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [Update] Recip Link Checker Pro In reply to
I've always been surprised that Goss itself didn't make a strong Recip Link component to Glinks. It would be a perfect addition

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] [Update] Recip Link Checker Pro In reply to
There are components, features, which can be hardly created as plugin. I think mainly those features should be implemented into core LSQL. However, Recip Link Checker feature is something, which can be easily solved using a plugin, so would not be necessary to be a main feature of LSQL.

But from the point of a strong SEO tool, GT would have a good reason to implement it as main feature, since this would increase their LSQL sellings... Not a bad reason... Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...