Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi

Quote Reply
[REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi
Ok. Lots have changed since I changed the basic logic to the Logo/Graphics plug-in.

1) I will offer two versions of the Logo/Graphic plug in. One is set up to install a "logo", and run with an image primarily in the link.html template. The other will be a "Graphics" plug-in, which will have the image primarily in the detailed.html. (but you can use either anywhere, it's just the default layout). I will allow them to be compatible with each other, so you can install both. Everyone already registered will be able to get both.

The reason for this, is that some people want "logo" support, and some people want to add a photo, or other graphic, not a "logo". The needs for the logo and the graphic are slightly different, mostly in the templates, but also you need to have routines to deal with the new fields, hence two plug-in installs.

2) For the multiple attachments, these are more like the "graphics", than the "logo" logic wise, but the new <%loop%> tag in the template I think solved _major_ problems in dealing with them. I should have a working multiple attachment module shortly, that will do most of what people need. It's _DRASTICALLY_ simpler than the previous version I've been working on! I've got a few things to work out on disk/layout for storing the attachments, but most of the other stuff has been done, and the <%loop%> tag is responsible for much of it! :)

3) Graphics-processing. I will make the graphics processing (resizing, borders, shadows, rotation) an add-in module that will simply update the Logo and/or Graphics plug-in modules with the added features. This is again in response to the general demands of the users.

4) Postcards Plugin -- I'm still trying to wedge it into a plugin, hopefully I'll have the time this week to finish it.

5) Graphics Gallery/Image Gallery plug-in. Basically about 50% finished. Still lots of template and layout issues to work out.

Pricing:
I'll follow the links license, so you need one license per copy of links.

Logo Plug-in : 01.02.25 : $35
Graphic Plugin : 02.02.25 : $35
Logo/Graphics : 01.xx.xx + 02.xx.xx : $40
Multi-Attachment: 03.01.01 : $75 : $50 for 01/02 users
Postcards Plugin: 04.01.01 : $125 : $100 for 01/02/03 users
Image processing: 05.01.01 : $35 for use with 01/02 scripts.

All include free upgrades, no update fees.
01/02 installs require Image::Size module from CPAN
03 installs run better with the Image::Size module, and it might be required.
04/05 installs require the Net::PBM package from CPAN

Image Gallery : 06.01.01 : $325 : $125 for preorders during beta stage.

It's been delayed a bit, but the code is also much simpler now, and should
be easier to make your own mods to if you need to.

PUGDOG® Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
Re: [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to
Hi,

How can I order it??

TheFox

Quote Reply
Ordering, the best way is Paypal, using my email address as posted in the forum here.

Or, we can take MC/Visa by fax, with a signed order. Contact me by email if you need information on how to do that.

I will update the FAQ area with ordering information, but it's just one of a million things I'm trying to do.

Really, if you need something, or want something, an email is the best way, since I don't want to clutter this board with those sort of questions.

The Logo mod is working on the FAQ site, unless I killed it in some of the other changes I've made <G>.

I hope have a site set up with the fully function graphics mod once I get the multiple attachments and postcards scripts out.

Robert

Quote Reply
Hi,

Have you integrated Logo/Graphics Plug-in with the browser.cgi (admin/editor)??

TheFox

Quote Reply
It doesn't work with the standard admin, but it will recognize administrator status, and has it's own admin features.

The problem is there are no hooks in the Admin, so there is currently no way to integrate the admin features. If Alex redesigns the table editor to allow customized field types, and hooks to allow customizing them, the current code will work with only a few tweaks. I've followed the rules of plugins to build it, but it's running as an external .cgi due to the lack of admin hooks.

So, the short answer is you have to approve the attachments separately. But that also allows some "extra" features that couldn't be done if a strict admin-only edit was being used.

Quote Reply
I've added a front end/shopping cart to the FAQ site (or will, shortly). It's a front end for PayPal. It was simple, inexpensive, and easy to set up.

For those of you waiting for an easier set up... here it is.

http://linksql.com/vShop/vitem-index.htm

I should have the products in development added shortly, and will update the whole site. There just isn't enough of me, or hours in a day to do it all -- ever had that feeling of running in quicksand??

Quote Reply
Hi Pugdog,

I posted a note in your linksql.com forum about this but got no reply yet. I paid the full amount, think it was $125 ($250 Australian) for the upload plugin for all the betas etc - but haven't received anything since the first version?

Whats up with that? Is there some mailing list I should have also subscribed to?

Cheers
Regan.

Quote Reply
Things are confused, I'll admit. I'll make sure you are on the list.

The only two programs out at the moment are the Logo & the Graphic mod (I split the logo/graphic mod so it can be used either way, or both).

I'm close to the multiple file attachments 1st beta.

Once that is done, I'll be able to go back and fill in with the graphics processing, and then start piecing together the full Image Gallery mod.

I was hoping for a new release of Links - 2.04 - today, to organize some of the bugs and quirks.

I've tried not to release anything until the basic structure is set, so that upgrades are not a problem for people who put them into use.

Quote Reply
Cheers,

You need another set of arms! If only they were available as a plugin... :)

Regan.

Quote Reply
True! Or a clone or two.

I've broken the Logo/Graphics set up, so that there is a Logo and a Graphics install, one for the link.html and one for the detail.html. I haven't thouroughly tested them, and the templates need work, but I also haven't gotten a lot of feedback on them, in general.

I will be setting up some sites to use the Logo mod, and once I do that, I should have better template sets, and maybe some other features. But they are all "my" features, without the feedback!

I'm working on the review program and the multiple file attach programs now, since there are a lot of similarities.

Quote Reply
Hi,

Is there any good news for the plugin?? I'm pre-order user using VERSION: 01.02.05 and it work fine!

TheFox

Quote Reply
Pugdog,

seriously interested in your graphics plug in. Is this a beta plug in, or is it a stable release version?

Is this the only way to have an image upload happening?

How does one have to approve the image upload seperately? How exactly does it work? ( I am going to have non-tech people doing website updates using your mod...and I need it to be simple)

Thanks a bunch. $35 sounds fine.

Quote Reply
Oh, and does the plugin store the images in the database, or in a directory of my choosing?

Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to
PUGDOG,

I have a question about your logo/graphics plugin. Does your plugin have a feature that will allow you to run the logo/graphics plugin on links that were added to the database prior to installing the plugin? I have an "image" field in my links database already and would rather not have to re-add all of my links. Also, If I add links by importing them into the system, is there a way to use the plugin to upload and make the logos and graphics on those new links? I suppose what I am asking is, Does the logo/graphics plugin have an "update" feature?

Thanks,
George
Quote Reply
Re: [macbethgr] [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to
Sounds like my Thumb_Images plugin would do what you want. Have a look at the 'Plugins' link in my signature for more information :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to
Andy,

I was under the assumption that I would have to upload the images to my local server prior to running your plugin (this would not work for me since I have over 1,000,000 links), so, does your plugin upload the images to the local server automatically prior to processing the thumbnail or would I have to manually upload the images? Also, what if I wanted to generate 2 different sized images (one to display with the link, one to display with the detail page), could that be done with your plugin? And one final question, can the name of the thumbnail be "<%linkID%>-small.jpg" rather than just appending -small to the actual file name?

Thanks,
George
Quote Reply
Ah, sorry. In that case, my Plugin won't do what you are asking. It has to have the images uploaded onto the server in the first palce, before it can thumbnail them etc.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
I have a question about your logo/graphics plugin. Does your plugin have a feature that will allow you to run the logo/graphics plugin on links that were added to the database prior to installing the plugin? I have an "image" field in my links database already and would rather not have to re-add all of my links. Also, If I add links by importing them into the system, is there a way to use the plugin to upload and make the logos and graphics on those new links? I suppose what I am asking is, Does the logo/graphics plugin have an "update" feature?

Hi,
I missed a lot of messages, it seems.

I think my plugin can do what you want. You would just define the logo field to be your image field.

If you have a load of images on-line that need to be thumbnailed, I have a script that will create a ../thumbnails directory in each image directory you run it in, and you can then set the image fields to be that thumbnail.

I'm sure there would be some custom programming charges, here, or a few tweaks, or maybe some labor, but it would almost certianly *not* require uploading new images.

At worst, it would be having two image fields, a legacy one, and a new one, and as long as one is filled in, you'd get your image shown.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to

Please keep replys like that to PMs or emails. You don't see me advertising my plugins in your threads ;)

lol
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to
In Reply To:

Please keep replys like that to PMs or emails. You don't see me advertising my plugins in your threads ;)

lol

Erm, pugdog and I both run UltraNerds.com Wink I don't think he minds me putting a slide in for one of our other products!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to
Andy and I have a new partnership, and we work together. We still have a lot of plugins and code that do similar things, but in vastly different ways.

Part of the benefit of our partnership, is that our new (and old) plugins will be much more robust, and will have more options to work in different ways. That comes from two very different programming backgrounds, and views of the web. I have dozens of sites I try to run, many with real-world economic need, and most of my code is based on that. Andy, has mostly concentrated on filling needs he saw in the forum, rather than from his own wants or needs. Two very different perspectives, but it works well for the general community at large.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [REALIGNMENT] Realignment #2 - logo/graphics/multi In reply to
I know about your relationship.
Andy wrote: "Sounds like my Thumb_Images plugin"
And I'am only jokin' about that.

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar

Last edited by:

eljot: Feb 19, 2004, 10:53 AM