Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Multiple Category Selection - Revisited

Quote Reply
Multiple Category Selection - Revisited
Hi there all,

Apologies for bringing this up again, but I'd love someone to have a look at the following;

A mod which allows;

1) A listing of all categories to be placed on the add/modify form.
2) Buttons to allow the site to be added / deleted from various categories (attached pdf shows it far better)
3) Restrict users to being allowed to add their sites to a maximum of three categories.
4) Allow users to modify the categories their site is listed in by using the modify form at a later date.
5) Similar system to allow admin edits.

Why not use some of the mods listed below?

1) Useability
2) Useability
3) etc etc

I want someone to look at a mod / plugin which is easy for users to understand and use. I did a very quick and nasty mock up of a potential "add" form which may help to explain more what I'm after.

Already you can see that my fictional category names may get too long to be sensible to list like this.
Any other suggestions?

Having lurked for ages in these forums, I've never seen a mod that looked simple from a user point of view, and yet still retained the power of other features in Links SQL.

I hope someone can help,
Piers

Other relevant threads

The following mod (Multiple categories, Add.pm, Modify.pm : major problems) only allows display of which categories a link is in, and doesn't allow the user to change them;
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=207024#207024

The following mod (multiple category selection) is ok for people who are computer literate and have a short list of categories, but most users can't hold CTRL and select the right categories. It also is very difficult to see which categories are already selected, when you have a long list of categories. This is particularly true when you come back to modify a link.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=184862#184862

More discussion of how to display which categories a link is listed in (display category path in link.html);
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=151933#151933
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] Multiple Category Selection - Revisited In reply to
In Reply To:
3) Restrict users to being allowed to add their sites to a maximum of three categories.
4) Allow users to modify the categories their site is listed in by using the modify form at a later date.

especially this would be nice !

Also it would be good if you could exclude some categories from submitting links by default as an admin.

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] Multiple Category Selection - Revisited In reply to
Manu,

There is already a good mod to stop people submitting links to certain categories, but agree it would be nice to have this as part of what a complete package.

GT and their supporters obviously spent a great deal of time and effort getting Links SQL to cope with one link in multiple categories (just look at the huge amount of old threads about this), and for that I'm greatful. It would be nice to see a cleaner solution from a Users point of view.

I've been completely underwhelmed by the response to my first post, so maybe I should move it to Custom Modifications?

I'd be happy to pay money to help with development costs, but would like to see this available as a free plugin, so everyone could benefit (it must be getting close to Christmas!),

Piers
Quote Reply
in general I agree.

BUT :

LinksSQL is designed to be a high flexible tool to create web-directories.

It has the flexibility to use different designs (templates), to create plugins, etc.

But to define a limit of categories to which a user can submit a link AT ONCE or to exclude categories from submitting links is still missing and as I think a big loss of flixibility.

If you have a look at the system-immanent features of LinksSQL to have root-categories, subcategories and sub-subcategories it should be clear to everyone, that not everybody wants to have links in his subcategories but only in his sub-subcategories.

At the moment excluding (sub-)categories from submitting links is not possible and so it costs lots of admin-time to make changes during validation of links.

What I want to say with all this is that I think that the functions to define a number of categories where a link can be submitted to and the ability of excluding categories from submitting links SHOULD NOT BE A PLUGIN BUT STANDARD FUNCTIONS OF LINKS SQL ITSELF!

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.

Last edited by:

ManuGermany: Dec 12, 2002, 2:31 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Both are already possible in my Xtended Add.Modify.Delete plugin (XAMD). The plugin is not released, yet.
It's about 50-60% ready (most functions working, but no admin interface, and no installer, yet).
You can check more about this plugin here:
[PLUGIN] Xtended Add.Modify.Delete plugin (XAMD) development news
You can also check:
Webmaster33's under development or planned plugins

Quote:
1) A listing of all categories to be placed on the add/modify form.
2) Buttons to allow the site to be added / deleted from various categories (attached pdf shows it far better)
5) Similar system to allow admin edits.
It is possible to implement them.
1) Yes, is already possible, but not sure it works exactly the way you would like.
2) It's basically just a javascript task, not a big deal
5) I think it would be possible, but I did not hooked the admin interface, yet. It might be implemented in later version, after and if first release was successful.

I can not estimate, when I will finish the plugin, I've to concentrate to my studies actually.
If does it matter, I personally need the plugin as soon as possible, so it makes me to work on, when I've a bit free time.
Just wanted to let you know, that somebody is working on the feature you need.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Multiple Category Selection - Revisited In reply to
Thanks for the response.

Thats all very good news. Keep up the good work.

Piers
Quote Reply
Does anyone think that they might be able to help with my first post above? I'm willing to pay if someone thinks they might be able to help.....
Quote Reply
Just a suggestion:

If you have a look at the import form in mysqlman you will see a form similar to the one you want (I think). It allows you to select fields from the table and add them to a 'selected fields' box. If you try to add too many fields it stops you. I assume it wouldn't take too much to modify the javascript on this form to get what you want.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Multiple Category Selection - Revisited In reply to
Thanks Laura,
I took a look and its very similar to what I was thinking. I'm still not very competent at perl yet (understatement), but if there's anybody who can take a look at it would be appreciated?

Piers