Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

MyLinks SQL

(Page 3 of 8)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [cwi] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Just another update. So far I've done all the stuff I already mentioned plus the ability to add, edit and delete custom links.

There are about 10 admin options so far and I've added in some user sorting options.

There are 20 templates so far Angelic and the plugin is 110kb. Who says size doesn't matter =)

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 30, 2003, 5:46 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MyLinks SQL In reply to
In about 1-2 days I should have a beta ready. If anyone wants to try the beta please email paul@adsql.com or send me a pm. I only need a couple of people to test it ot make sure it works before I release it Angelic

It *should* work pretty well but you know, when you think it's working well you give it to someone else and it dies, so ideally you may only want to test it out if you have a development copy of Links SQL installed somewhere.

Thanks for reading.
Quote Reply
Nice one, Paul, thanks for persisting with the plugin.
Quote Reply
Re: [cwi] MyLinks SQL In reply to
I've just finished the user profile page allowing you to edit your Links SQL user profile.
Quote Reply
Paul,

Quick question... I like the ability to have a surfer click on the "bookmark" link next to each link in my directory and have an interim page load saying something to the effect of:

"You are now adding 'LINK TITLE", "LINK URL" to your bookmarks"

If they have an account, a cookie has been set which will cause the page to say the link was added, if they are a first time user, they will see the above information and then have the option to create an account to actually save that link.

The reasoning behind this is that by allowing that interim page, you create more spider food for the search engines. Each of those interim pages has the link title and url which work wonders for the SEs, however if when they click to bookmark a link they simply get a login screen, that benefit is lost.

Just some feedback on what was a nice hack for me with the old standard links 2.0 version with cookies.

marc
Quote Reply
Re: [hcom] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Quote:
Each of those interim pages has the link title and url which work wonders for the SEs

MyLinks is dynamic and so even with an interim page, it wouldn't exist as soon as the user left the page and so the search engines wouldn't spider it.
Quote Reply
Here is an example of a link that was easily spidered from my previous bookmarking program in Links 2.0

http://www.mydomain.com/...tion=add&ID=6327

Would each link be assigned an ID such as the example above?

thanks for the info!

marc
Quote Reply
Re: [hcom] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Yes, a link like that will go into link.html. That will probably be spidered if you are building your html pages as the link will be static.
Quote Reply
Comments and Link Checking In reply to
Paul;

Progress sounds fantastic. I can't wait for this plugin and thank you for working on this valuable project!

Have you been able to add the features listed below in? I am interested in both, but would pick the comment feature for overall usefulness because so often I bookmark a link, yet do not recall the exact reason a month later when scanning a list of bookmarks...

Feature Suggestions:

1. Link Notes/Comments/Reviews

- Sometimes we later forget why we have bookmarked a link, also when emailing others these links, it may be good to tell them exactly what is special about them, or to pass on a short summary/review. A single comment field may suffice.

2. Link Checking

- After the links are in the system a while, likely there would be bad ones.

Before looking stupid by sending out a email saying how great these broken links are, it would be fantastic for a quick link check to give us the edit/delete/keep options.

thanks...
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Comments and Link Checking In reply to
I've added in the link checking when recommending links - I'll look at adding comments.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Comments and Link Checking In reply to
User comments for each link would be great - sometimes people forget why they bookmarked it :-)

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Comments and Link Checking In reply to
I've emailed the first beta to a couple of people who offered to test it for me. Some screenshots are below:
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

Getting rid of the old version is that as simple as Un-installing it (ie will it remove everything incl tables, templates etc?)

Klaus

Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Comments and Link Checking In reply to
Yes it should do - I can' remember exactly how thorough it is though. It should remove most stuff.

The new version installs and uninstalls everything very cleanly =)

You should be able to install MyLinks2 without uninstalling the original though.
Quote Reply
Yes I have them both installed right now - just like to clean up :-)

Klaus

Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

I installed MyLinks2 in a fresh LinksSQL 2.1.2 with 1 category and 1 link. I tried to add a new user in admin. I didn't fill in the 5 fields CustomSortOrd, PerPage and etc., so it failed with 5 errors- PerPage cannot contain the value ''....

Last edited by:

Fortune: Apr 1, 2003, 12:13 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Fortune] MyLinks SQL In reply to
Using mysqlman it tells me those columns can be null but I made a booboo by entering regexs in the def files.

I'll fix it on my copy.

If you want, just go into the Users.def file (be careful) and remove the regexs for those columns.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 1, 2003, 12:30 PM
Quote Reply
1. Change Users.def. Works fine.

Code:
return Plugins::MyLinks2->error("Unknown method: '$do'");

I would like to suggest the above line to be more end user friendly.
Quote Reply
If you want you can change it to:

Code:
print $IN->header();
print Links::SiteHTML::display('my_error', { error => Links::language('MY_BAD_ACTION', $do) });
return;

...and it will show the error page. Then just create a new language variable in the admin panel:

MY_BAD_ACTION
The action '%s' is invalid and cannot be processed.

I'll look at changing this if people want a template based error.
Quote Reply
By the way...I need to add a fix in the handle() routine to prevent a nasty eternal loop =)

I won't tell you how to cause it but you'll probably guess.
Quote Reply
I've made some fixes and changes thanks to the beta testers experiments Smile ...so they are doing the final testing now and if it all looks ok I'll be sending it to Mel to add to the download area later today.

The plugin is just under 150kb in total and includes 25 templates. It will cost $70 due the amount of work I've spent on it.

I will be setting up a realtime paypal payment page so that you can download the plugin after purchasing.

I'll post more later today.

Edit: Those wishing to upgrade from MyLinks will need their PayPal order number handy when purchasing.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 2, 2003, 6:16 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

Yesterday, when I am playing around MyLinks2, I found I couldn't delete a user in admin. I searched a user, checked the box, and hit the 'Delete Users' button, and the result: 0 record(s) were deleted. I searched the above user again, his record was still there. I could add, modify users, but not delete users. Today, I tried it again. Delete users still didn't work. Then I uninstalled MyLinks2 and successfully deleted the user. I installed it again, changed the .def file, and I couldn't delete a user.
Quote Reply
Hmm strange. I can't think of any reason why not.

I'll go and test. I've made quite a few changes since I sent you the last copy.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 2, 2003, 10:39 AM
Quote Reply
What version of Links SQL do you have?

With my copy I get:

>>
A fatal error has occured:

GT::SQL::Table (3428): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: Could not create a condition object out of arguments. at e:/apache1/cgi-bin/lsql/admin/Links/Users.pm line 77.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.
<<

...and thats with or without the plugin so it looks like a Links SQL bug?
Quote Reply
LinksSQL 2.1.2, without any modification, only this plugin, 1 category, 1 link and add a few users.

Perl Version:5.005_03, MySQL Version:3.23.56
> > > >