Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Creating an Editor SignUp Page

Quote Reply
Creating an Editor SignUp Page
Hello everyone,

How can I make it possible to display the category list drop down box on any page because I'm developing an Editor Sign-Up Page? Also, how can I use Links SQL to e-mail the Sign Up results to me and the other adminstrators?

Thanks for your time!
Daniel
-http://www.csnhome.com
Quote Reply
Re: [OneDanShow] Creating an Editor SignUp Page In reply to
Would it not be better to make a normal page, and then get it to email you a list of their details, which you could then go through manually and add? Creating an automated one seems like a bit of a waste of time, especially if you have to validate them manually first Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I agree with Andy. Feel free to look at my site if you want to get an idea of a static signup page.... use your own inventiveness of course.

Wink

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Creating an Editor SignUp Page In reply to
Hello again,

Building a static Editor Signup Page is exactly what I want to do. But how can I get the Category drop down list that is on the Add a Link page to be built on that page, too? This way the prospectice editor can choose the category they want to edit from a nice list and not have to manually type in the name and make life simple.

With the e-mail part, I want to use Links SQL to mail the results, just like it emails you when a link has been added by a user. The static page will be built by Links SQL (that's not a problem, though, I know how to do that).

Thanks for your help and God bless!
Daniel
-http://www.csnhome.com
Quote Reply
I don't use a drop down list due to the number of categories I have.

I beleive drop down lists can be filled with javascript.

Just select a list of all your category titles and place this into your listbox with a javascript function.

my @categories = $DB->table('Category')-> select (['Full_Name'])->fetchall_list;

now @categories has all of the category names.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi,

Many sites, especially the larger ones, have found that the drop down lists slow down the whole system, and create major problems. They also create problems for the user.

One solution is to allow an editor to sign up from that page only, ie: whatever category they are in, they can request to be an editor.

This makes it simpler for the user as well.

To "centralize" the system, you might want to make a "requests" or "pending" table (or column in the Users table) for categories a person has requested to be an editor for.

You might be able to use the Editors table, but you'd need to keep tabs on approved/pending/declined_or_blocked status for each category.

I'm really glad to see people working with the Editors system finally :) It's as complex as the reviews system, even more so since you need to understand some JavaScript to deal with the category browser functionality as well :)

As for populating list boxes, I had discussed this with Alex a bit, and his suggestion had been almost too obvious.

Rather than using Javascript or Java, why not simply refresh the page with new information? You are still making a call to the MySQL database, you are still sending a .cgi type request to the server, so why not just make it standard .cgi call?

Example:

I wanted to have a multiple select list like on Ebay and other sites, where you select a main topic, the topics available under that open in another box, and so on.

You can do that with Javascript, but you'd need to know the maximum depth of the tree structure (before hand) and you'd end up with empty list boxes on shorter trees.

If you made a selection that called the server, you'd work you way down the tree with a series of .cgi calls, opening only as many new list boxes as you needed. Each page would be properly formatted, and there would be no "extra" or empty list boxes.

On large sites this is much more important than on smaller sites. If you have 200 or so categories, you can pre-load them into a javascript array, and get pretty snappy response. But if you have 20,000 categories, the simple act of trying to download that many would slow page loading -- ON EVERY PAGE.

You could improve performance on some sites by pre-loading child/leaf nodes when you know you are only 1 or two levels away from the end. This would allow a user to pick and change the lower leaf level without having to make a new server call, but the programming logic for this would be a bit trickier, and would require JavaScript.

Just some thoughts.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.