Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

WYSIWYG editor for Description

Quote Reply
WYSIWYG editor for Description
I was wondering if anyone (hopefully GT Team) has thought of working on setting up a feature where admin can have an option for using and allowing end users to have a WYSIWYG editor while adding description or any other field desired by the Links SQL Admin.

Here is a very good freeware tool http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/ and it can really help a lot.

Thanks for the help.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] WYSIWYG editor for Description In reply to
Hi Vishal

You can intergrate this htmlarea yourself fairly easily, I think there's another post around with a similar comment.

If you need a hand setting it up I can try to help.

You just have to be carefull that the submissions are coded correctly or it will affect the layout of your pages.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Hi.

See if following helps.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/..._add/modify_P270594/

V3.x has that spell check module also, which may need some tweaking as not every server setup allows cgi scripts from outside cgi-bin and also needs Aspell (and not the Aspell+pspell combine which is now depricated)...

Integration with any number of text areas on a given page.

HyTC
Quote Reply
Cool,

Thanks HyperTherm for the info.

Minesite thanks for willing to offer your help, it is very much appreciated.

I am going to try to method as described on the other thread. However even with that method, one question remains. It would make it easy for the end user to input info via wysiwyg editor, but when links sql admin or editor going to have to review the info, I think it would make it just as much harder for them, as if they want to see the actualy formatting, than they will have to copy the entire info within external wysiwyg editor, cuz if I am not mistaken, the same method might not work with the internet description field of links sql.

But still, for now I think that might be the best option.

Again thanks to both of you for your help and support.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Vishal.

Quote:
It would make it easy for the end user to input info via wysiwyg editor, but when links sql admin or editor going to have to review the info, I think it would make it just as much harder for them, as if they want to see the actualy formatting, than they will have to copy the entire info within external wysiwyg editor, cuz if I am not mistaken, the same method might not work with the internet description field of links sql.

Not At All. See The Attachment And You Would Know That It Could Be Done For Admin Side Too Without Touching The Core Of The Program. Just Finished It For One Of Our Clients Who Wanted Life Easier For Their Admins Too Smile

You would have to do some modification to All The Text Area Fields Though And Open The Pages In New Window

Don't try with version 2.03 as that's based on textarea name which in Admin Side Takes The format of "<%ID%>-FieldName" which cannot make v2.03 applicable without touching the Tools.pm which you would not like...

Sorry the Contents Are Blurred Out On Request Of Client...

[EDIT]
This Has 5 Text Areas which Get Converted To HTMLArea, excluding The Validation Email Region Which Also Gets Converted To HTMLArea by Virtue Of This. Never Thought It Would Be So Easy As It Turned Out To Be. However, The Spell Check Plugins Etc Would Not Work On Admin Side (In V3.x Of HTMLArea)
[/EDIT]

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Aug 23, 2004, 2:41 AM
Quote Reply
Vishal.

Just in case you are keen on implementing HTMLArea on Admin Side too following would complete the info:

Presuming that you have installed HTMLArea3 in a directory /htmlarea3

Admin Templates Would Have To Be Edited :

tools_validate_changes.html

<title>Links SQL - Tools - Validate Records</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
_editor_url = "/htmlarea3/";
_editor_lang = "en";
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/htmlarea3/htmlarea.js"></script>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<script type="text/javascript" defer="1">
HTMLArea.replaceAll();
</script>

Similar changes for following Templates (in case you are implementing HTMLArea for the User end for reviews etc also) . The Text Marked In green would have to be added to the templates.

tools_validate_reviews.html
tools_validate.html

Open the Links to the above pages in a new window as the Editor does not properly display in the cramped up framed pages. On Admin Side none of the Plugins would function. On the user end however,plugins would be available (TableProperties/SpellChecker etc).

V2.03 would not be workable on Admin Side at all as far as i can see as it needs the fieldname value... So in case you are integrating, do it with V3.X

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Aug 23, 2004, 7:37 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] WYSIWYG editor for Description In reply to
Hello HyperTherm,

Thank you for the very helpful and informative reply. I am going to try it out :)

Thank you again.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Did you get it going?
Single installation and Admin/User Text Areas are all with HTML Editor.
Things like Review could also be made to look good with this

A FREEBIE but works out pretty nice specially the SpellCheck Plugin with Correction With Suggested Words at click of a button :)

HyTC
Quote Reply
I personally moved my template directory out of the cgi-bin and I use frontpage extensions to edit my templates. The problem with frontpage extensions is that it is not very secure and it has many problems. It is still so much easier to edit something than to copy and paste.

What makes WYSIWYG so much better is the option to go between the source code and the document design. I would like to see this implimented into linksSQL. It would definately be a worthy feature. G Forum has it, why not G links?

Hope to see any kind of method to help make editing templates easier in the future, right now (not that the methods written for editing are basic by any means), it is just too much a hassle to edit a page the way it is set up. I also think the CSS editing abilities is crap. You have to know what table what variable stands for etc. I do not know of a better way, but I think it is definately a problem.

Sorry if this post was negative,

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] WYSIWYG editor for Description In reply to
The way you have mentioned, it seems *pretty easy* and I am thinking of setting it up on the website, but there are only two things, 1) little two busy schedule 2) Such feature might give article writer more freedom then required, and they might feel lke bolding or linking more things than required. So I am taking it with little caution, but I am still thinking with proper guidelines/rules it might be lot of fun.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
You could remove the option in the .js file which you would not want to be visible to users. Two configs and you could have one for Admin and the other for the user :)

Best Luck.

HyTC