Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Plugin ideas?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Plugin ideas?
Anyone got any suggestions on plugins they'd like to see? I've doing a job atm, but its running through a long list of files to download (which is gonna take 5-6 hours to complete) - so looking for a mediocre plugin to write :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Plugin ideas? In reply to
Hi Andy,
yes I have an idea Cool

In my gcommunity every user enters his town name and his zip code.
I don't know if this is enough information for google maps, but if so, it would be great to have a plugin that shows a sign (could be anoynym) for each user on the google map.
Just to see where the most users come from...

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] Plugin ideas? In reply to
Hi,

I like that idea, I'll see if I can come up with something :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've had a look around, but can't see any way to specify multiple entries on a Google map? The methodology I was thinking of - was having 2 steps:

1) Choose country
2) Then, based on the country - it gets all the ZIP/details, and shows a map (with "pin marks" of where people are located, based on their ZIP)

If anyone can point me in the right direction of some Google code that would do with, I'll have a go at putting it in to a plugin :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,
if "choose country" is the problem.
I have a country field as well ;-)

But I don't know how to combine country and zip code either.

I saw the member map on this new but fast growing cms site
http://demo.silverstripe.com/member-map/

Hope that helps Wink

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

That example looks like the kinda thing I'm looking for :)

Problem being, in regards to that example - it uses Long and Lat values.

There is a Pele module that will convert places, into long/lat values - but according to the CPAN site, its over 700mb in size :/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
Hi,

Problem being, in regards to that example - it uses Long and Lat values.

Yes most of these are working with Long and Lat. Thats why I was asking if Country and Zip Code is enough,
The thing is, when I go to google maps and I'm entering a zip code. Google knows that I'm german and it shows me the right town.
Perhaps there is a way to combine country and zip code.

Andy wrote:
There is a Pele module that will convert places, into long/lat values - but according to the CPAN site, its over 700mb in size :/
Crazy Upps

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

I have two things I would like to see - so you might call it plugin ideas.

1. Search results categories

It would be nice to have a variable where the categories of search results are kept.
That means you could show the categories of a query at a certain place with number of results and the user can choose the category where the output is like the search only in this category. Here it should still be possible to show all catergories where the query is matched.
Maybe this is a global more than a category. But anyway it looks like a nice feature to me.

2. keyword list
It might be interesting to add a table with a keyword list. The keywords could be linked to the Links table and by this some kind of index could be created. Could be interesting for search engines as well as usability for visitors.

Regards and thank you for your contributions to GT

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] Plugin ideas? In reply to
el noe wrote:
Hi Andy,

I have two things I would like to see - so you might call it plugin ideas.

1. Search results categories

It would be nice to have a variable where the categories of search results are kept.
That means you could show the categories of a query at a certain place with number of results and the user can choose the category where the output is like the search only in this category. Here it should still be possible to show all catergories where the query is matched.
Maybe this is a global more than a category. But anyway it looks like a nice feature to me.

2. keyword list
It might be interesting to add a table with a keyword list. The keywords could be linked to the Links table and by this some kind of index could be created. Could be interesting for search engines as well as usability for visitors.

Regards and thank you for your contributions to GT

Niko
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding number 1 -I'm not sure how that could be done really (without re-doing the search, which would be very slow - as it would effectively mean doing 2 searches, for every one)

Regarding number 2 - Not really sure what you are asking here?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm contemplating asking this guy - if he minds me setting up a call to his system here:

http://www.stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

...which gets the long and lat values,and then saves it to the users table.

Not sure he'll want me to keep making requests - so thought I would email and ask him first Smile

If he's ok with that, then I should be able to use that example you gave me earlier.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Have you looked at this?

http://search.cpan.org/...Countries/LatLong.pm
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] Plugin ideas? In reply to
Hi,

Thanks, I'll see if GT will get that installed on my server :)

It only works for countries - but what I could do, is have it so when someone hovers over the "flag", it pops up with the number of users in that country Smile

Thanks again

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Its coming along quite nicely :D

I've got the core "grabbing" code, which gives stuff like:

United Kingdom: 15 members
United States: 20 members
Germany: 5 members

...and creates the JS code.

All I need now, is the module installed - so I can get the long/lat values for the country in question :D

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
I'm contemplating asking this guy - if he minds me setting up a call to his system here:

http://www.stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php

...which gets the long and lat values,and then saves it to the users table.

Not sure he'll want me to keep making requests - so thought I would email and ask him first Smile

If he's ok with that, then I should be able to use that example you gave me earlier.

Hi Andy,
does that mean, everytime a new user registers, his post code has to go through this site ?
Unsure

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

Nope, I'm working on a different solution now (based on the CPAN module Wychwood recommended)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
Its coming along quite nicely :D

I've got the core "grabbing" code, which gives stuff like:

United Kingdom: 15 members
United States: 20 members
Germany: 5 members

...and creates the JS code.

Nice, but my community is only for german speaking users. So all users come from germany, austria and swiss and only few from other europe countries.
It's not very exciting to see
Gemany: 2000
Swiss: 30
Austria: 20

So this plugin would be more interesting for worldwide sites Unsure

Maybe there is a way to show a membermap only for a predefined country (germany)???

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'll see what I can do in the future =) (gonna get this one working first - as its quite hard =))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,
this Joomla Map Extension sounds pretty cool
http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,2619/Itemid,35/

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've uploaded an screenshot of it (pretty much done :))

Just gotta package this one up, then write some documentation.

Once this ones done, and released - I'll have a look at doing a more "advanced" one - when it pins them by actual city (don't think its a good idea doing it actually to their address though :D)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I think I've found a Perl module that will work to get the long/lat values for specific users now :)

http://search.cpan.org/...05/lib/Geo/Google.pm

Just waiting on GT to get it installed for me - but I'm hoping this will do the trick Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
I think I've found a Perl module that will work to get the long/lat values for specific users now :)

Just waiting on GT to get it installed for me - but I'm hoping this will do the trick Smile

I'm looking forward to this one and I hope my host will install this module for me Unimpressed

I have another idea. Again for gcommunity ;-)

Would be great to have a user search for the users registered in the community.
Users should have a search function in gcommunity to search for users by filling out some fields.
Lets say: I want to see
- all users with zip code starting with 95 or
- all users from Berlin or
- I want to see all users with the age of 28 and so on ...

Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
I'm looking forward to this one and I hope my host will install this module for me Unimpressed

May be worth asking them to install it now, so you know if they will or not :P (they're not the quickest at installing modules, if they will =))

Quote:
I have another idea. Again for gcommunity ;-)

Would be great to have a user search for the users registered in the community.
Users should have a search function in gcommunity to search for users by filling out some fields.
Lets say: I want to see
- all users with zip code starting with 95 or
- all users from Berlin or
- I want to see all users with the age of 28 and so on ...

Interesting - is this a user search feature, not admin?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
Interesting - is this a user search feature, not admin?

Yes this should be a user feature.
Should be not as difficult as the included gcommunity admin-user-search, cause only few of my users could use this ;-)
Should be just an easy search function with an option to search some fields...

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'll see what I can come up with (after this other Google map thing I'm gonna be doing, once the modules installed =))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:

Hi Andy,
does my host have to install it on the server or can I install it on the webspace?

Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
> >