[NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
[NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of my latest plugin, CDN

http://www.ultranerds.com/...inks_3_0_x/CDN_L283/

This plugin will basically let you run a Content Delivery Network on your site, which in turn speeds up the time your pages take to load for your users.

The MaxCDN service isn't free (its currently $40, for 1 terrabyte of data, which is a LOT! ... and then $10/month for the "disk space" your files use, which again - is bearable, considering the advantages this system has)

If anyone would like to try it out using my account, please let me know. Obviously it would only be for a day, just so you can see the advantages of it (otherwise I will be using all my bandwidth up Wink ) ... but it should give you some idea as to the amount of speed difference this system would make to your site.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Feb 1, 2011, 4:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
OK, I decided to give it a try and see what happens. At least you'll get some commission and I can see if it's worth doing or not (for my site any way).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
Nice Cool

Have you set it up yet? Made much of a difference? For the sites I've set it up on so far, its knocked on average around 40% of the load time off - which is pretty darn cool Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
What are you using to compare? gtmetrix?
Quote Reply
Yeah

Although, I've found it better to use Google Webmasters to get a better idea of how much its speeded up (as that takes data from "real" users who access your site, and how long it takes for pages to load)

Unfortunatly, GWebmaster doesn't update that often - so it can sometimes be a couple of weeks before you see the changes Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well at the moment I'm up 1%.

Old:
Page Speed Grade 95% A
YSlow Grade 89% B

New:
Page Speed Grade 95% A
YSlow Grade 90% A
Quote Reply
What is the time difference though? Its not so much the % score (you have to manually setup the CDN in your settings on GTMetrix) .. otherwise it doesn't know you are using a CDN, and will knock you down with your score for that

Its the time you should see a big difference in Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yes I've added the CDN to the settings. My time has gone from 1.27 to 1.09.

Edit: 1.47 to 1.29.

Last edited by:

MJB: Feb 3, 2011, 9:35 AM
Quote Reply
Ah ok - not as much as I would have expected. Can you send me a link to the GTMetrix page? May be able to find a few other bits you can do to tweak it more Smile

EDIT: Do you have compression setup on the files from the CDN? That makes quite a bit of difference, as it compresses the files via mod_gzip :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Feb 3, 2011, 9:40 AM
Quote Reply
Yes compression is enabled. I'll PM you the link.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Ah ok - not as much as I would have expected.

I thought it was pretty good result already so maybe it won't change much because it hasn't much further to go?

Just checked it again. YSlow rating has gone down to 85% from 90% but load time has increased (decreased) to 1.05 from 1.29.
Quote Reply
MJB wrote:
Just checked it again. YSlow rating has gone down to 85% from 90% but load time has increased (decreased) to 1.05 from 1.29.

Thats most likely due to the adverts you have on the site (Adsense). I got rid of them on some of my sites, and replaced with proper image ads (which are fully optimized)

The problem with google, is that they havn't fully optimized their code, so for an "image" (or flash) ad, it can add a good 1second+ on the overall page load time.

I bet if you removed them, you would be amazed at the difference in speed (just to proove a point - not suggesting you actually do remove them - as thats obviously a good little income if people click Smile)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yes. If I remove the ads it returns: Page Speed Grade: 98% A / YSlow Grade: 96% A but the page load time goes up to 1.97.

I think I'll leave it as it is now (inc ads) as I think my scores are pretty respectable.
Quote Reply
Yeah your score is good - be interesting to see what you page load time is like if you use google webmaster :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I do have access to it I think. Is it in the Labs / Site Performance tab?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yup, thats the one. It probably won't help too much now - but in a couple of weeks, take a look and see what the page speed is down to :) (take note of when the CDN change was made as well - so you can see what happened Smile)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Here's yesterdays result:

Quote:
On average, pages in your site take 4.3 seconds to load (updated on Jan 26, 2011). This is slower than 68% of sites.

I'll check it again in a few weeks and report back.
Quote Reply
Ok sounds good Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

works great, thank you very much for that recommendation!
I have been working with MaxCDN and your Plugin now for two days and got total load time of the page from 3.05s to 2.30s.
I did some minor changes with GTMetrix as well Smile (great tool from GT btw) .

Did not spend too much time but feels like a lot of improvement.

Regards

Niko

Last edited by:

brewt: Feb 13, 2011, 4:17 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
Hi,

Thanks ... glad its working well for you Cool

Yeah, GT Metrix is a great tool, certainly has helped me with a few sites when optimizing them (ultranerds used to take 3-4 seconds to load, and its only .78 seconds now :))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
MJB wrote:
On average, pages in your site take 4.3 seconds to load (updated on Jan 26, 2011). This is slower than 68% of sites.

Well the latest results aren't good:

Quote:
On average, pages in your site take 4.3 seconds to load (updated on Feb 13, 2011). This is slower than 69% of sites.

That's another 1% slower than 3 weeks ago. I don't think that CDN is really working for me. Frown
Quote Reply
That's not a big of a difference to be able to say it's due to using a CDN. Hell, even GTmetrix's varies between 1.5 to 2.0 seconds over a few months without any significant changes to the site. Since that site performance data google collects is from the google toolbar, the times can vary a bit.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Yeah, give it a bit more time - its not gonna happen overnight .... who hosts your site btw?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
http://www.dewahost.com/
Quote Reply
Hi,

Ah ok :) Was gonna say , if you were with GT Hosting, then you wouldn't notice a "huge" difference, as the GTMetrix servers are pretty much next door (as far as I know) ... so the amount of time it takes to get a file is much quicker than a "normal" person

As Adrain said - leave it a bit longer and see what happens. I *very* much doubt your site has got slower due to using a CDN Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >