Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
help
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me out here, I've posted a few questions re the DMOZ dump but I am not really getting very far at all.

This sort of centers around the way that links SQL work in search matching. The basic form just asks for url, title and description. I have assumed since day one that it goes off and spiders the page, am I correct here or does that not happen?

So to enhance things I decided to improve the form by adding keyword fields to it, a simple mod in itself.

This has led me to a crossroad. If links does go off and spider the added site then how can I restrict it to not do that but search on the criteria in my form, including the new keywords.Unimpressed

And my biggest headache, if I do insert a DMOZ dump then how will that get searched if I am asking it to search using the results from my new form. i.e the results were not entered via the form. Does it just perform the search anyway or do I have to tell it to do something.Crazy

Not getting very far with this so if anyone can help or put me right on how it searches results i would appreciate it. Pre sales I was told this wasn't an issue and it was an easy program to set up but I am struggling with this, the more I think about it the more of a headache and I can't work it out, does it search by the form results or does it spider or both? This obviously affects a DMOZ dump and so far I have been told if I already have categories then DMOZ will not work/isn't suitable but it doesn't make sense why.

rgds

Many thanks.

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Re: [KevM] help In reply to
Hi KevM

WinkDon’t panic, it will do everything you need; the only thing it can’t do that I’ve seen posted on the Forum is make coffee.
Pugdog wrote : “I've had a bit of trouble getting it to make my coffee in the morning... :)”

If you let us know what type of Directory you want to run and what you want to achieve with it and there will be plenty of help here.

“Re: DMOZ dump - This sort of centers around the way that links SQL work in search matching.
The basic form just asks for url, title and description.”

I’m not sure how much more you need for the links, url, title and description are just about it for start up purposes. What type of directory are you setting up? ?

LinkSQL has a built in search that will cover your Title and Description fields automatically and you can add as many fields as you wish.
This can be set in several places to give you the results you want.

“I have assumed since day one that it goes off and spiders the page, am I correct here or does that not happen?”

Not out of the box, what do you want to achieve from the spidering?
There are a few add-ons or plugins that will do this for you but they will pretty much only get what you have in the DMOZ dump. I.e. Url, Title and Description
Links will check to see if the URLs are valid or not.

“So to enhance things I decided to improve the form by adding keyword fields to it, a simple mod in itself.”

What are you hoping to achieve with the keywords field?
Will this be for paid subscribers or premium links?
All fields can be added to the search by way of setting weights in the table columns.

If GT staff reads this they really want to start working on the Coffee issue. Tongue

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] help In reply to
Hello Minesite,

thanks for helping me out with this. You are right about keywords, I've got a submission page with 4 options fee up to paid with keywords all weighted differently so they MUST be in the search for submitted sites, the DMOZ inclusions I am not too fussed about so long as they come up with relevant matches.

I don't want the spidering scenario but it keeps throwing me how a dmoz dump is indexed but I suppose from what I read its down to title, descriptopion and URL.

Lastly I have never used telnet or ssh, never had to really so I am a litle bit uncertain how I am going to be about this bit.

rgds

Kevin

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
>>>I don't want the spidering scenario but it keeps throwing me how a dmoz dump is indexed but I suppose from what I read its down to title, descriptopion and URL. <<<

Its all about the content.rdf.u8 file Wink See here: http://rdf.dmoz.org

Basically, either you have to manually download the .u8 file, adn then type the commans into nph-import.cgi via SSH, *or* you could use my DMOZ_Wizard. For the latter option, all you need to do is type in the name of the category you want to import, and set a time for the cron to run (server time, remember that!). It should then run, and do everything for you, and give you however many extra links/categories :)

With my DMOZ_Wizard plugin, all you need to do is type;

cd /path/to/your/admin
nohup perl dmoz_cron.cgi > log.txt &

If you set the cron part of my plugin up (you let the plugin know if you want a cronjob setup to run the import), then its pretty simple, as you don't even need to go into SSH :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi KevM

Can't help with telnet or ssh.

"I don't want the spidering scenario but it keeps throwing me how a dmoz dump is indexed but I suppose from what I read its down to title, descriptopion and URL."

Links has its own indexing system for search results, has nothing to do with DMOZ.
Go to Links SQL Admin/Setup/Search Options and see:
The default sort orders for search results. These must relate to columns in your Links or Category tables. Use 'score' by itself to return the best matches first. build_sort_order_search

"4 options fee up to paid with keywords"
You may also want to search this Forum for IsPriority,Priority,IsFeatured,Featured,IsPremium and Premium.
These are all based on paid submissions.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Hi Minesite,

thanks for the reply. I think I already have the right track setup using weight for variations from basic free submit which has weights of 1 through to weights of 3 or 4 for the paid submission packages.

I think I am right in assuming this is the way it all works now. DMOZ import will give me a fill up so its not empty to start with and these won't have any weight.

Future submissions will all go through my submission form which has weighting so these will ultimately come higher than the DMOZ dump which won't be weighted at all. My priority is based on score (I would prefer the word 'weight' in here as it would make more sense but I assume score is the same difference)

So I think it will be ok.

Thanks loads

Kev

Cheers
KevM
Quote Reply
Hi KevM

”thanks for the reply”

You’re welcome

“I think I already have the right track setup using weight for variations from basic free submit which has weights of 1 through to weights of 3 or 4 for the paid submission packages.”

Standard weighting setup is something like:
Title weight = 3
URL weight = 1
Description Weight = 1
They are set in the columns, you can view them at Admin>Database properties>Go.

All submissions and Dmoz imports will have the same weights, using the keywords weight as 3 will be the difference.
Its tricky to get this working as you want, say link1 name is Hotel.com, this will be in the Title,Url and Description and will probably turn up 1 st on all links on a search of Hotel.
The easiest way to overcome this that I have found is to setup a new column called Premium or Featured, default is blank and option of Yes.
Still use the keywords but when you have a paid submission set Premium to yes, change the build_sort_order_search to >premium DESC,Keywords,score<.

This will ensure that paid submissions come up first with a bit of tweaking.
Setting up Premium, Priority and featured links have been exhaustively discussed in this forum.

”I think I am right in assuming this is the way it all works now. DMOZ import will give me a fill up so it’s not empty to start with and these won't have any weight.”

Correct, but all links will have the standard weights as above but without the Keywords.

”Future submissions will all go through my submission form which has weighting so these will ultimately come higher than the DMOZ dump which won't be weighted at all.”

See above.

“My priority is based on score (I would prefer the word 'weight' in here as it would make more sense but I assume score is the same difference)”

See above

”So I think it will be ok.”

You’ll be fine and if you setup the Premium feature you can change the look of the paid submission as well.

Something like:
<%if Premium eq 'Yes'%>
This link looks better than the others.
<%else%>
standard boring link
<%endif%>

Regards

minesite

Last edited by:

minesite: Mar 6, 2004, 5:31 AM
Quote Reply
Hi again,

just logged in before tea, been reading the manual as well.

I think I have cracked this another way. My default weights are now set to one BUT by adding additional columns I have been able to specify more submission boxes.

These additional submission boxes have a higher weight as they are linked to the paid submit form but the standard imprted DMOZ files I think will end up in the standard format so this might work.

I think I am going to have to take the plunge and get the dmoz import done then see what happens, I feel like I am going down a blind alley but with any luck it will work out so long as I set build_sort_order_search to score if there is no keyword it won't make much odds but for my submitted listing that do have a keyword it will push them up as the score is higher.

I think.. will have to read up more on score first.

have a good weekend

rgds

Cheers
KevM