Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
[Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4
I've just put a major upgrade to ExtraStats in the plugin download area. Please note that this is a beta release - I hope there are no bugs in it but please don't put it on a production site just yet. I'd be grateful if any existing users could test it.

The plugin will now track clicks into your site as well as out of the site. So you can show
  1. Overall statistics such as all clicks in/out today, this week, last month, etc for all links, for all links in a category or for a particular link.
  2. Graphs by day for a particular month or by month for a particular year of clicks in/out for all links or for a particular link or for all links in a category.
  3. Lists. You can show lists of for a day, a week, a month or ever. The lists can be the most popular links in the whole site, in a particular category or even a list of the most popular categories (by hits on the links in those categories). You can also show a list of the last links clicked on/clicked into the site.
  4. Complete Stats for a Link You can use this to show/download statistics for a link to the linkowner.
  5. Popular List This is a special tag that will allow you to show your most popular links spanned over several pages. You can include trend data to show whether the ranking of the link has improved since last month.

Please let me know if you find any bugs.
Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] [Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4 In reply to
Hi Laura,

1st I would like to say:
I love your plugin! Thanks for that.

I've found a possible bug or I've made something
wrong when I try to use:

<%Plugins::ExtraStats::TopWeekly('10','','','','OUT')%>
or:
<%Plugins::ExtraStats::TopEver('Number','Sort','Loop','Type')%>

I did not get a link id back and my link looks like

cgi-bin/jump.cgi?ID=Unknown Tag: 'LinkID'

BTW: In your admin, you wrote
To display the top sites ever:
<%Plugins::ExtraStats::TopMonthly('Number','Sort','Loop','Type')%>
and not
To display the top sites ever:
<%Plugins::ExtraStats::TopEver('Number','Sort','Loop','Type')%>

Kind regards

Lothar

Last edited by:

eljot: Oct 21, 2004, 2:06 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] [Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4 In reply to
Hi,

Thanks.

Firstly, OUT is the default value for type so you should just be able to use
<%Plugins::ExtraStats::TopWeekly('10')%>

To get this to work, I think you may need to change <%LinkID%> in your es_link_list template to

<%if LinkID%><%LinkID%><%else%><%ID%><%endif%>

Edit: and thanks for pointing out the typo.

Laura.
The UK High Street

Last edited by:

afinlr: Oct 21, 2004, 2:48 PM
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

<%if LinkID%><%LinkID%><%else%><%ID%><%endif%>

This does not work.

But <%ID%> instead of <%LinkID%> work.
I've try <%include link.html%> and find it out ;-)

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
Please can you advice with the following new fields in lsql_links?

ES_LastRank 0 ES_Count 0 ES_Rank 0 ES_InRank 0 ES_InLastRank 0

Can I delete InRank and InLastRang when I would
use only stats for Outgoing links?

For which data is ES_Count?

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes you should be able to delete ES_Count, ES_InRank and ES_InLastRank. ES_Count is a count of all clicks in.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Hi,

You might find that using <%ID%> causes a problem in some of the other lists. I have tested using <%if LinkID%><%LinkID%><%else%><%ID%><%endif%> on my site and it does seem to work. Can you tell me in what way it doesn't work on your site as I may need to make some adjustments to the plugin if this really is a problem.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Hey Laura,

Thanks for a wonderful plugin with very interesting features, I am going to set it up on my website and post here how it goes :)

Thanks again.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Hi Laura,

Weekly and Ever return ID but not LinkID.

<%Plugins::ExtraStats::TopWeekly('10','','','','OUT')%>
<%Plugins::ExtraStats::TopEver('10','','','OUT')%>

But I've find no problem using <%ID%> or <%include link.html%> in ES_link_list.html
(link.html template knows only ID and not LinkID)

I've found another possible Bug when I try to delete a Link.
I can't remember this error before upgradin' the Plugin:

GT::SQL::error = GT::SQL::Table (16153): Wrong argument passed to this subroutine. Usage: Could not create a condition object out of arguments. at /home/dowtip2/public_html/cgi-bin/admin/Links/Link.pm line 179.

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
I've just tried deleting a link and had no problems.

When you deleted the rows from your Links table did you do it via mysqlman? If so you will need to resync the Links table in admin->database->Links->properties.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Found the Problem. Its a problem after deinstalling
ppc plugin.

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar

Last edited by:

eljot: Oct 23, 2004, 5:11 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks for letting me know.
Quote Reply
Hi Laura,

As a (new) happy user of your plug-in I was wondering if you could give me some advice ?

My site is geared towards being an on-line magazine and the links are basically articles with pretty long descriptions as the body of the articles. I'm using the link.html to display a short description and the detailed.html to display the full article.

In this context I'm using pugdog's detailed plug-in (your suggestion so thanks for that) to link the above templates to each other. I have also used one of your globals (average_rating) to get a rate out of ten.

Finally, my question, I would like to create stats that integrate both the plug-in stats and and the clicks to sites as a rate out of 10 but giving a higher weight to the click thru.

Does this sound feasible or too complicated ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] [Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4 In reply to
Hi,

It does sound feasible but I'm not clear yet exactly how you want it to work. This is my guess from what you've said so far:

Code:
Rating = {(0.4*Number of Detailed Clicks) + (0.6*Number of Hits)} *10
Max(0.4*Detailed Clicks + 0.6*Hits) in the database

So the link with the most (weighted) detailed clicks and hits would be given a rating of 10 and all others would be given a lower rating.

If I've totally misunderstood let me know.

Last edited by:

afinlr: Oct 30, 2004, 12:41 PM
Quote Reply
hi,

i have for every link-ID 3 pages (the detailed page, a doorway page for search engines and a contact page).
can i count with your plugin these 3 pages as one?

p.s. please excuse my very bad english
Quote Reply
Re: [topseo] [Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4 In reply to
Hi,

You would need to use SiteStats for this (SiteStats counts pageviews and ExtraStats counts clicks through jump.cgi). You can group any pages you want together by giving them the same GroupType and the same GroupID.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry not to have responded sooner.

I've been going over it again and I'd forgotten about the voting and also the rates through the opinion part. I'd used one of your globals to bring them to a number out of 10 and then I'd like to find a way to refine the link's average by using an equation like your's above "{(0.4*Number of Detailed Clicks) + (0.6*Number of Hits)} *10".

I'd like to have one average for a "link" rather than accumulating votes, detailed clicks and click thrus...
So that I can display this in the toppopular page and the detailed page...

This obviously makes it more complicated than what I tried to explain above...

It just seems to me that there are several interesting functions in LinksSQL (votes rates, hits, detailed clicks) and its a pity not to have a simple average for visitors/users that for the most may find too many different types of rating misleading or worse. This is just my opinion but I would like to find a way to simplify their experience and at the same time provide weighting to the different forms of data.

I never really related well to stats at university and therefore I'm not that sure about how the four different types of data should fit in together and moreover how they should be weighted but I figure from your example that a combined total of one in order to calculate an average of ten is the way.

So I think that the detailed clicks and click thrus will come from any user (member or not) therefore I suppose I would weight it at 0.1 for detailed clicks and click thrus at 0.2 and opinions. Both rates and opinion votes would be from members and I would like them to have 0.3 and 0.4 for respectively rates and opinions.

Which would give me :
"{(0.1*Number of Detailed Clicks) + (0.2*Number of Hits) + (0.3*Rate) + (0.4*Opinion Vote)} *10"

But I'm getting the feeling that it might not be as easy as just modifying your equation. I find your plug-in is full of functions therefore I'd like to make sure that if I try to link these different elements together that they will work and remain statistically coherent.

Have I made any sense ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] [Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4 In reply to
Hmm,

I think this will take a bit of thinking about. It would be easier if the review data was included in your links table - I have done this in my database but it does involve editing the core code so I'm not sure this is good recommendation. An alternative I think would be to create a new field in the Links table that contains the value for the new rating - and this could then be used in link.html and the lists from ExtraStats. The easiest way to do this would be to have a separate script which updates the field using a cron job.

I'll see whether I can put something together.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I see what you mean. Without the data being generated by the same source it doesn't make it easy to collect it all dynamically without using something like a cron job or modifying something in LinkSQL.
I also for example use Andy's Safe Jump script to lead people to external links and I can imagine that in view of keeping as close to the original LinksSQL as possible it's important not to modify the core code to much.
Let me know if I can help in any way ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Mhh I've tried to upgrade to Version 4 but it doesn't work!

I always get this error:
Error running installation code: Could not open /var/www/cgi-bin/shop/admin/../es_count.cgi. Reason: (Permission denied) at (eval 4) line 241.

What could that be??

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Re: [ManuGermany] [Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4 In reply to
Vermutlich sind unzureichende Zugriffsrechte auf
das Verzeichnis cgi-bin gesetzt.

Es wird ein neues Script im Verzeichnis cgi-bin angelegt
mit dem die Incoming Klicks gezählt werden.

CHMOD 777 cgi-bin dann sollte es klappen.

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
I've just released a final version with a few bugfixes.

You should now be able to use either <%LinkID%> or <%ID%> in the list templates.
Quote Reply
Any demo page?
Quote Reply
Re: [Abusaki] [Plugin Update] ExtraStats 4 In reply to
If will have a look for what you can do with this plugin,
you can visit my site:

http://freeware-tipp.de/Top-Freeware-Downloads/

But this is only a small Part of the Script, you can
add Stats in detail Pages and get some information
in your admin.

BTW: I use Pagebuilder to build the Top-Pages.

Last edited by:

eljot: Dec 22, 2004, 1:55 AM
Quote Reply
Thank Eljot,
I was on your site but could find where the extrastats was, can you give me clue
> >