Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin

(Page 1 of 4)
> >

Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin
[[I hate editing people's posts, even if I'm not messing with their words, but to save people time, I closed this thread, and moved the new announcement of version 1.0.6 to it's own thread. Ian had perfect timing, after 90+ posts :) You can jump to the new messages here: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=200939 -- pugdog ]]

Here is an idea for monitoring how much work an editor has been doing on your site. I imagine you, like me, don't want inactive editors continuing to have access to your editor browser and categories. I also reward editors depending on how much activity and responsibility they have, and this has been proving to be a difficult task. Read on...

What about new fields in the Editor Table:

Last_Visit (Date), Total_Visits (int), Visits_this_Month (int), Total_Validations (int), Validations_this_Month (int), Total_New_Categories (int), Total_Moved_Categories (int) etc...

So that whenever any function (add,move,copy,validate - link or category) is clicked in the editor browser, the appropriate column is incremented in the Table at the same time. The Last_Visit column would be updated each time the browser is refreshed, or opened, or when a function is performed, which ever is the most efficient.

In the admin panel, you could then look at your editor's stats by opening the Editors table, or integrating these numbers into a nice stats plugin like what Paul is developing (**HOPEFULLY**).

I would imagine this is best done as a plug-in, as the browser.pm would have to be modified otherwise.

I have the ideas, but not the abilities... any takers on helping me with this one?

Step One and Two of the Plugin Wizard - No Problem. Step Three is the tough one.

I Imagine I need hooks for each of the above actions (add cat, add link, mod cat, mod link, del cat, del link, move cat, move link, copy link, validate link and something for loggin into the browser area)?

Plugins::Editor_Monitor::

There needs to be a "Plugins for Dummies" bookWink

Last edited by:

pugdog: Jun 16, 2002, 6:07 AM

Re: [sooke] Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin In reply to
I'd be interested in this as well.

Re: [rayhne] Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin In reply to
Great. Thats two! Just need someone to get me started, I am not really sure how to write plugins yet. Anyone??

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Re: [rayhne] Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin In reply to
Me too. Seems good idea.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Hi

Well anyone be interested in a paying for a full editors plug in?

If we have a good number I can make some calls and see if I can get someone to create one for a fee then I will be sharing it with you guys..

How much will it worth for each one?

And what are we looking for that plug in to be able to do?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory

Re: [katabd] Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin In reply to
Sure! You can count me in. Lets see how much and how many.

We may have 3 or 4 here already.

Are you looking for the same features as listed above? Perhaps we should agree on what we want also.

I beleive a FULL editors plugin must:
  • Monitor Editor Activity (see my suggestion above). This is for ridding stale editors and rewarding active ones with an actual statistical basis.
  • Better control over editor assignment and management. Whos is doing what? Read-out, print out. Removing, re-assigning multiple editors. I can expand on this if need be.
  • Editor profile pages which are dynamically created, one for every editor. The editor should be able to opt-in or opt-out of the editor profile page, and mabye be able to change some of the information themselves via loging. See my suggestion:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=195199
  • Ability to prevent editors from seeing or changing certain fields in the category and links tables, including your customs fields. For example I have fields which have advertising information like Link Priority, which I would not want editors to be able to see or change. This is a big one for me.
  • Have support which is in-line with future upgrades of LSQL. Should we get GT to develop this? How much of this are they already planning with their editor revamp? See: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=192822

Last edited by:

sooke: May 8, 2002, 10:44 PM

Perhaps my folder color suggestion could be incorporated also, as it is an enhancement for Editor Management.

See: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=194935

Hello

how much is everyone is welling to pay for this?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory

I'd need to know cost before I join in.

I think we should get a quote from GT. Their Spider and Adcycle plugins are $200 and $150 respectively from memory. I think this is not as complex as either, and should be no more than $100. Less if there are enough people interested.

Comments?

(I pm'd a few people about this but I decided I may as well just put this on here)

Could a GT staff member give one of us a quote for this type of plugin? And perhaps let us know what is planned to be included with Links anyways?

I realise this post should be in the "Custom Modification Jobs" but I just wanted to keep it near the suggested material, I hope this is ok.

Thanks!

Last edited by:

sooke: May 10, 2002, 8:52 AM

I think the way the editors are presented at the bottom of each page could be improved upon. Example from DMOZ:

Category editors: andylehrer, artson, dlugan, funk, inge, indianpipe, tania

Lets go one step better than DMOZ (why have the same thing right?).

These links take you the editor's profile page, which is great. And I like the way it scrolls across the page rather than down. You could have a something next to these names or re-order them to the most active editors first - thats the one that gets most clicked on right?

In any case I like this style better than
  • john
  • bill

You could have: Editors: jack, bill, marry New Editors: Wayne

A new editor being one which is new in the last month say. Not essential, just something different.

I have a mock up of the editor profile i'd like to use. A dynamically created page would be much better of course! Just putting ideas together here. My editors have all seen this mock up and most of them are saying Yes please.

http://www.categories.ca/.../profiles/admin.html

Let me know what you think.

In the mean time... I am wondering, is there a way I could hack out my own global to replace the <%editors%> tag which will generate a hyperlinked list of editors like the post above?

I am thinking sometime which could be added is the ability to "lock out" editors during maintenance.

Just select the lockout switch, and editors get a message when they log in as opposed to the normal browser.

"Welcome, (User). The editor area is temporarily down, as the website requires this for maintenance".. or whatever you specify.

Just a thought.... there are times when I would rather editors were not messing around, like server intensive functions, or while you are testing new globals etc, which can cause errors.

Ok, I am having a stab at some of this.....

I am thinking about writing a plugin (unless you guys have started on one yourselves)which generates at table similar to:

# Editor Information Table
# ************************
# New Table: EditorDetails
# Columns:
# Username (same as Username in Table('Editors')
# Email (same as Email in Table ('Users')
# Bio text A user editable Bio on themselves - for use in their profile page
# Webpage text A user editable link to show their web page on their profile page
# Editor_Status text None, Suspended, Editor, Category Editor, Area Editor, Senior Editor
# Editor_Since Date Date Editor Joined
# Total_Validations Int Total number of validation editor has performed
# Total_Clicks Int Incremented each time the editor performs a function in the editor Browser
# Last_Login Date The date/time group when the editor last opened the Editor Browser
# Total_Logins Int Increments each time the editor opens the editor browser
# ShowEmail Enum Show email on profile page?
# ShowWebpage Enum Show webpage on profile page?
# EditorNotes Text Text you can set as admin which will show on editor page... like awards for editor

I am trying not to make it toooooo complex as I am pretty limited in my abilties at this stage.

I am hoping that I can make hooks which will trap the actions of the editor and update the table in real time then display stats on this.

Part of this plugin , will be dynamically created editor profile pages.

eeeekk. I hope I can do all this!

The first question is, are there hooks in links which can trap editor browser activity??????

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

sooke: May 16, 2002, 8:58 PM

Plugin Update In reply to
Ok,

So far the plugin creates the above table and produces a who's online with category readouts for each editor online... saves you looking it up!

Example printout for who's on: (this is implemented and working - thanks Paul for your whos online script which I modified - even if it took me all day just to do this!!Cool)

Who's Online

Archie
: Editor
Category: Family and Personal/Personal Homepages
Category: Regional/Ontario/Metropolitan Areas/Ottawa Metro/Education
Category: Regional/Ontario/Toronto
Murphy : Editor
Category: Family and Personal/Pets/Dogs/By Breed/G/German Shepherd

Samson : User

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

sooke: May 17, 2002, 3:44 PM

Re: [sooke] Plugin Update In reply to
It now reads the time the session file was modfied as well - kind of like when they logged on last.

Editors Online

Rick
: User (Fri May 17 20:04:49 2002)

Amie : Editor (Fri May 17 19:56:38 2002)
Category: Family and Personal/Pets/Dogs/By Breed/G/German Shepherd

Jean : User (Fri May 17 20:00:29 2002)

Julie : Editor (Fri May 17 20:40:14 2002)
Category: Family and Personal/Personal Homepages
Category: Regional/Ontario/To Be Classified/Metropolitan Areas/Ottawa Metro/Education
Category: Regional/Ontario/To Be Classified

Bart : Editor (Fri May 17 20:44:53 2002)
Category: Regional/Prince Edward Island
Category: Regional/New Brunswick

Editor Montior Plugin

Comments? I plan on releasing this as the first version of this plugin and just keep adding the "bits" as I figure it out.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

sooke: May 17, 2002, 5:48 PM

Re: [sooke] Plugin Update In reply to
Ok just to update,

My Editor Monitor Plug-in now has:

Quote:
Editors: Bill, Fox, Wendy

at the bottom of each category page istead of the old:
  • Bill
  • Fox
  • Wendy

Next: Dynamically created profile pagesSmile

Links Plugins

Re: [Ian] Plugin Update In reply to
UPDATE:

My plugin now creates:
  • mysite.com/editors/profiles/alleditors.html when you view the stats. This contains a list of all your editors and the categories they own. You see this list in the stats readout, but the files are created at the same time, so that your editors may also have a quick reference as to which editors are doing what.
  • mysite.com/editors/profiles/[editor_alias].html is created when you view the stats also. This is auto generation of editor profiles. I am still improving on this feature, as it is formated for my website only at this stage, and I am hoping to make this more template based. These profile pages are aleady hyperlinked automatically where your editors are listed at the bottom of each category page. (replacement to the %editors% tag)

I am holding off a little to see what changes with respect to editor functionality (if any) are in Links 2.1.1, before going too much further with this.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: May 24, 2002, 9:28 PM

Totally cool!

What a great thing to see being developed!

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.

Re: [pugdog] Plugin Update In reply to
Thanks pugdog! Good to see you back on the forum too.Smile

Links Plugins

I'm hoping it will be regular now. Things are sort of set up, at least where I can check my mail, and read the forum, on a daily basis. Still resource crippled, though, and that will be awhile coming back.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.

I am putting a built-in table editor into this plug-in because I cannot work out how to get a custom table to appear in the admin->database->editor safely.

See attached picture for example.

If anyone has any ideas on this, please tell me before I get too much further into this!!!

Links Plugins

Don't reinvent the wheel.

You can make a link to something like
Code:
admin.cgi?db=NameOfTable&do=add_form
from your plugin menu. This will produce a form to add a record to the "NameOfTable" table. Everything will be automatic.

If you want to see what else you can do, go to "Database -> Editor -> Links -> Properties". At them bottom of the page, you will find various links for editing, searching, deleting etc records.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins

Re: [yogi] Plugin Update In reply to
Wow Yogi... that looks like exactly the bit of code I am looking for. I really don't like re-inventing wheel's, especially when they are good wheels to begin with!!Wink

Thanks Ivan!

Links Plugins

Re: [yogi] Plugin Update In reply to
Hi Ivan,

I have tried this out, including reproducing the Editor page in whole with my new table added as an option. But whilst it shows all the functions (add, modify, list all etc) and "appears" to work... if I try to modify one record, it overwrites all of the records. Or if I try to delete a record, it shows me the record, I select the check box and press delete, but it always returns "0 records deleted".

Its like there is some in-built function which tells the code which record to modify, that I am missing. I am very lost nowCrazy

<p><a href="$CFG->{admin_root_url}/admin.cgi?db=EditorDetails&do=modify_search_form">Modify</p>

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: May 29, 2002, 9:49 AM
> >