Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Link sharing development
Has anyone developed a method to syncronize links between a category on one site using LSQL and another, also using LSQL?

www.sitea.com...............................www.siteb.com

#subcatory 2212 <-syncronized-> subcategory #9281

If not, I may look at developing something like this myself.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Link sharing development In reply to
I believe that would be a license violation, unless you have purchased two licenses of Links SQL and have them installed on the separate domain/site.

Alex recently clarified the license agreement in the LINKS SQL Pre-Sales forum.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Link sharing development In reply to
No violation! It was a simple question of synchronization of links, not of installing Links SQL.

It would be difficult in some respects, but if you were synchronizing the static Link data, and not dynamic things such as "hits", it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Link sharing development In reply to
Really?

I believe you would have to have two licenses of Links SQL...one installed on www.sitea.com and another on www.siteb.com.

I think Alex was quite clear in the post regarding licenses in the LINKS SQL Pre Sales forum. He was clear that only one license of LINKS SQL could be installed in each site and he mentioned the problem related to ISPs installing multiple copies of Links SQL for their customers.

I believe that synchronizing data across two different web sites would call for two Links SQL licenses. I just thought it was relevant to point out that if you would need two licenses of Links SQL to pursue this type of plugin/modification in a legal manner.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Jul 24, 2002, 8:28 PM
Quote Reply
Why not just syncing the databases between site-a and site-b? Would the purpose of this be for load-balancing a site, or for sharing links between Links SQL users?

Sean
Quote Reply
Of course you would have multiple instances of Links (as I and many others do). The point of this discussion is not licence violations either, rather sharing data between multiple sites and instances of Links SQL installations, in particular one subcategory to another.

Thank you, I am well aware of the Links SQL Licence agreement, as I have recently discussed licencing issues with Gossamer Staff (today).

This is a "Developement" forum, not a "Pre-Sales" forum. Abiding by the licence agreement is implied, or at least should be. I would feel insulted if my honest intentions are being brought into question here.

Lastly, I am quite sure GT Staff read these posts, and would be happy to point out any violation of their licence agreement themselves, privately.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jul 24, 2002, 8:59 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Link sharing development In reply to
The purpose is for link sharing rather than load balancing. I see your point though, a load balancing situation might be possible under the same solution.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jul 24, 2002, 8:42 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Link sharing development In reply to
Pugdog:

Quote:

It would be difficult in some respects, but if you were synchronizing the static Link data, and not dynamic things such as "hits", it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

I see your point. And I am wising to share static information. I think the situation may be easier if there was a "subcategory export" and a "subcategory import" added to the database tools.

The problem with this is, one is the master, and the other cannot change the master.....

Hmmmm.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
That would be very interesting... So it would just copy the link info over the Web/LAN and import it into the receiving database? That might get tricky... I've thought about the load balancing idea myself, but I think the best thing would be to have one big honkin' database server, and a few web/application servers that are load balanced. Syncing the databases for load balancing, although possible, could get a bit hairy and would require some serious hardware. I do think it would be neat to share data easily via a plugin.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] Link sharing development In reply to
Hi Sean,

I am sure it would be possible to do, by a plug-in or some cgi application. I am just not sure how, yet.

Interesting ideas. I received a pm earlier today about another concept where the data is stored in one place and shared amoungst anyone who is permitted to use the data, this greatly simplifying the other sites requirements for data import and management. (I think that was the suggestion from memory anyways).

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Well, the post was not only directed at you, but others who are contimplating doing something like this or "developing" a mod similar to this...which I still feel would be a license violation. But you're right, if GT feels that it is a violation, I am sure they will reiterate the license agreement.

And I don't think that "many" Links SQL license owners have or own multiple licenses...I think that there are "few" that do. Thus, I think it is relevant to point out some limitations for the "many" LINKS SQL owners who only have one license.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
>>
Well, the post was not only directed at you, but others who are contimplating doing something like this or "developing" a mod similar to this...which I still feel would be a license violation. But you're right, if GT feels that it is a violation, I am sure they will reiterate the license agreement.
<<

I think you missed the point of Ian's post. He wasn't referring to installing a second copy of Links SQL (without a license, hence breaking the agreement), he was referring to sharing data between two sites, both owned by people who use Links SQL or both owned by one person with multiple licenses.

I think most people who hold Links SQL 2+ licenses realise that installing a second copy without a license is not allowed Tongue

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 25, 2002, 2:45 AM