Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Gossamer Community: LinksSQL

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Gossamer Community: LinksSQL
I was wondering how I can aquire all the features of Gossamer Community.
I like these features:
- Remember Me
- Random Number Picture on Sign-up (I know theres a mod for this one)
- An actual edit profile page (one page you go to on sign-in with all your options)
- Users Online

There are a few more I like that I can't recall at the moment.

Do I have to purchase another Gossamer product besides linksSQL? Do some of the features come with certain products?

The next product I would purchase would be Gossamer Forum, but I still have much work to do with linksSQL before I can even think of it.

Are there mods for some of these features. How hard would it be to create some of these features manually (I say that meaning me, not me paying someone to do it)?

Any hints, tips, comments, perl-jargon, added questions, or rambling on is definately going to be read and appreciated,

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Re: [jdgamble] Gossamer Community: LinksSQL In reply to
Hi.

Quote:
- Remember Me

Why not just use GCommunity? (its free)

Quote:
- Random Number Picture on Sign-up (I know theres a mod for this one)

Add_RandImage should do the job: http://www.ultranerds.com/...?query=Add_RandImage

Quote:
- An actual edit profile page (one page you go to on sign-in with all your options)
- Users Online

I'm just a little confused as to why you don't want to use GCommunity? I believe it has all of these features.

Quote:
The next product I would purchase would be Gossamer Forum, but I still have much work to do with linksSQL before I can even think of it.

If you are considering getting GForum, I would *seriously* suggest using GCommunity, as this will let you link GForum and LSQL together, and also give you several of the extra features you are asking for Smile

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
It seems, that you don't know about, that Gossamer Community is to unify user related features for all GT applications.
You install Gossamer Community & LinksSQL, install a plugin for LinksSQL, then you are ready to use it.

You get:
- common login interface for your site
- common user profile
- 1 common user database for your site
- image based authorization (validation) to avoid automated signups
- Who's online feature
- Remember me feature
- etc, etc...

Read this page:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/.../community/index.htm

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Gossamer Community: LinksSQL In reply to
Quote:
If you are considering getting GForum, I would *seriously* suggest using GCommunity, as this will let you link GForum and LSQL together, and also give you several of the extra features you are asking for

Only if every thing stays on/under the same tld parent domain. Different domains and it wouldn't work unfortunately ... correct me if i am wrong

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Gossamer Community: LinksSQL In reply to
Quote:
Different domains and it wouldn't work unfortunately ... correct me if i am wrong

Correct.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I was thinking Gossamer Community was what you had once you purchased all of the programs listed. I didn't realize it was a separate program to be installed. I just downloaded it. I will post a message here once I get the time and install it. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

(WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, yeah!)

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Well, I'm not sure in this.
GComm can be even on a separate domain, and other GT apps are connecting to its user database remotely.
That's why remote apps feature exists...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Glad that it helped Cool

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Gossamer Community: LinksSQL In reply to
In Reply To:
Well, I'm not sure in this.
GComm can be even on a separate domain, and other GT apps are connecting to its user database remotely.
That's why remote apps feature exists...

You can use remote Gossamer product (i.e on different domains), but please note, it *does* require a bit of work, as the cookie stuff won't work by default on seperate domains.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, so I was right. Wink

I remember several discussions about cookie problem when using remote applications, but I don't know which threads was those.
But currently I'm not interested in remote applications.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Sep 11, 2004, 12:39 PM
Quote Reply
Hi.

Scenario As Follows

Gossamer Mail On Domain A.
Links SQL On Domain B.
Forum On Domain C.
Auto Responder On Domain D.

Community on any one of the above domains.
Just couldn't get it to work. Cookie based session would mean that WAP support in Gossamer Mail would fail. It could work with url based sessions but that's not a possibility in Community unless i missed something in setup.

Setting all applications under one domain would not always be a feasible solution.
In the version that i experimented with, the Apllication Addition only showeed Local (nothing on remote side)...

Thanks
HyTC.
Quote Reply
Unfortunately I'm not competent in remote usage of GComm. I've not experience.
This is where Alex could help you.

Also you should better ask in Gossamer Community forum. This is LSQL plugin forum, and you've less change to get answer here.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Okay... here goes my first question... I have installed the plugin successfully with GC. I now go to my site, click suggest a site, and it goes to the start page of the login. I can't use any of linksSQL's features without going to the login_home page first. I like that feature, I just want my other features working as well.

Any help would be fantastic... keep in mind I have not edited my templates or done anything special yet.

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Quote:
I just want my other features working as well.
Which other features?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
rate-it, review-it, add & modify a link... etc... How do I get them to work with g comm? Once I'm logged in and I click on any of those features it goes directly to the login home page.

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Well, then GComm is working fine. Just log in.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Sorry for the confusion, let me expound that last sentence.

Once I'm LOGGED IN and I click on any of those features it goes directly to the login home page. In other words...

1.) I sign in and I view the login welcome page.
2.) I navigate to a category and click add a link i.e.
3.) It goes back to the login welcome page. Not the login page, but the login welcome page.

My question is, how do I get to the actual add a link page etc?

Thanks,

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Hmm. Strange.

Did you add LinksSQL to your application list in GComm Admin?
(going to sleep now, will answer tomorrow)

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Yup, I know that parts working right. The entire program may be working the way it should; I just don't know how it should work.

If I go to my linksSQL homepage, and click sign-in, it forwards me to the gossamer community sign-in page. Everything good so far. I sign in, and it refers me back to the linksSQL homepage (I would like it to have gone directly to the community homepage, but whatever).

- Next, I scroll down to a category and click submit a site. I see add.cgi forwards to community.cgi and displays the welcome login page (community homepage). Thats nice and all, but me (which will obviously be a user) needs to add a site and doesn't know how to do it.

Should I create a link to add.cgi from community.cgi? If I do won't it just forward back to community.cgi? How is the program supposed to work?

Thanks for the help,

- Jonathan
Quote Reply
Quote:
I see add.cgi forwards to community.cgi and displays the welcome login page (community homepage). Thats nice and all, but me (which will obviously be a user) needs to add a site and doesn't know how to do it.
I believe, that add.cgi should forward you back to the add.cgi page after login.
It should work similar, like the sign-in process.
It's strange... You say thet you already signed-in, which I suppose it's same as login. So one you did login earlier, you should NOT get the Login page again when clicking the add.cgi...

But you didn't answer to my question:
Did you add the LinksSQL application into GComm application list?
Don't understand the question?

Here are the steps:
  • Login to GComm as Admin
  • Go to Applications menu
  • is there a LinksSQL application listed?
  • if no, click Add
  • Keyword is: linkssql
  • Application is: Local/LinksSQL
  • AutoCreate User: Yes
  • Location: type the admin path of your LSQL installation: C:/web/site/cgi-bin/lsql/admin
  • click Add to finish the process

That's all.
    This is required to cooperate GComm & LinksSQL. Similarly for other GT applications.
    I hope that helps.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
  • Quote Reply

My message got deleted when I uploaded this image.

Anyway, here is the image of my application. I'm guessing if that part was wrong, it would not have forwarded back to the linksSQL page at all.

It might be working right, but then again wouldn't it go directly to the add.cgi page?

Much appreciated,

- Jonathan

Last edited by:

jdgamble: Sep 14, 2004, 10:51 AM
    Quote Reply
    One last chance.
    Do you have cookies enabled? Are GComm cookies stored on your computer?

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Its not a cookies problem either...

Go here: http://www.magicdirectory.com/linksSQL/

Click sign in (under the search bar) and log in with user: bob pass: bobby

Go to a main category and click add a link (suggest a site) at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps explain better.

Thanks,

- Jonathan

Last edited by:

jdgamble: Sep 14, 2004, 2:22 PM
    Quote Reply
    Well, it worked fine for me. After first sign-in the GComm page did not come again when doing the add.cgi process. You can check my see submission.
    I think you should check your browser cookie settings...

Or try another browser for testing: www.mozilla.org

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    It definitely is not supposed to behave like that.
    It looks like you must have missed out a step somewhere - have you installed the Auth_Community plugin in Links?
    > >