Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

ImageSQL - what are you looking for?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
ImageSQL - what are you looking for?
I am working on a version of LinksSQL, which has been heavily modified to act completly as an Image Gallery. I am just interested to see what people would like to see in this kind of thing. Currently it;

+ grabs image sizes (width X height)
+ Allows .gif, .png or .jpg files.
+ Has an image field, all pre-setup (no need to add new fields etc)
+ Redesigned admin interface (I'm quite impressed with this so far).

Anyone got any more ideas?

Here are a couple I am working on now;

+ Option to 'rotate' images ...i.e by 10%.
+ Option to have a 'border' added on the thumbnails

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
If the image gallery you are building is commercial or they want to protect their copyright, it would be best if you disable 'right mouse click' so the images cannot easily be copied.

Alba
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
Hi,

RCB's are just annoying, for someone who wants to reference the photo.

Give me _any_ site and I'll copy it :) In order to view the photos, or data, it's moved to the browser cache. Even if you try to prevent that, the data still has to be transferred, so it can be picked off. All the .swf/flash stuff you can't save? Just open your browswer cache, rename the files, and copy them.

Use a site downloader like teleportpro, and it can suck anything.

In fact depending on my mood, I often download, zip up, and email back sites that "protect" their images with the right click block and some obnoxious message about stealing.

Try clicking on an image, and dragging it to the address bar of your browser.

Or, edit/select/all a page, and paste it into MS Word. (even if they disable the automatic word/office icon).

All right click blocks do is annoy people who are probably on your side (not thiefs), and trying to reference your site. Any "thief" is going to use one of the automated programs and steal it all, with html, layout, and everything. Why take one image, when they can take them all in the background.

If your copyright notices don't work, right click blocks aren't going to do anything more than annoy your fans.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
Fair comment and, yes I appreciate that the more experienced user will not be stopped.

However, I am sticking with my original suggestion because the amateur who is setting up their first website is the most likely person to 'steal' images or indeed text and publish them. (taken from local experiences around here). Whether this is done in ignorance of copyright laws is questionable.

Alba
Quote Reply
Cool project!

Suggestions:

The ability to have the description or an ALT description be inserted into the image tag (ALT="nevada sunset in red rock canyon")
This is good for vierwer as well as the search engine.
- important

The ability to have descriptions shortened (click for full descriptions). - good
Detailed info on the image. - good

Copyright information - good
Exposure info -
Photographer -
Model -

Rotation by 10pct - useless.
Right Click - useless, annoys people, slows page loading down.
thumbnail border - depending on background, can be distracting or not.

Best things are easy navigation - most important
automatic dropdown jumpbox to different galleries? - good
auto slideshow - good
random slideshow in category - nice.
galleries hidden or not depending on users login rights - useful.

Have you used the free open software "Gallery"? Look at it for features. We have used it, very impressed. It is quite nice. Also PhotoPost.

If you want a really cool feature, program javascript to "on the fly" build the zoomed image html page to show the larger image in a nice titled window with nav bars when the thumbnail is clicked on.
I've done this, it is *amazing*. Will trade for ****?

I programmed this for a Playboy Playmate's members gallery with over 4,000 pics. Making each zoomed image page would be a pain, and simple image calls to bigger pics don't have navigation, or look as nice...
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
My point is that exactly.

>> However, I am sticking with my original suggestion because the amateur who is setting up their first website is the most likely
>> person to 'steal' images or indeed text and publish them. (taken from local experiences around here). Whether this is done in
>> ignorance of copyright laws is questionable.

The person setting up a site is not going to go through the gallery one image at a time, but use a slurper program like website downloader, teleport pro, or my current favorite, Offline Explorer Pro.

The RCB is completely ignored by those programs, and they write the images directly to disk. The person then just exports the project, uploads it, and they have your whole site with virtually no work.

The right-click is usually the person who wants to keep a reference to a specific image, or wallpaper, because they like your site, and that just frustrates them. It's sort of like a slap in the face.

Since all the RCB is, is some javascript code in your templates, you can decide if you want to use it or not, but from 10+ years of experience on the net, all it does is frustrate people, it doesn't stop anyone. It also _PREVENTS_ people from cut/pasting your email address, and thus blocks wanted email from a potential customer (while *NOT* blocking robots, harvesters, or spammers at all). Think about that. I have written several websites trying to sell things that I would have been a customer, had I been able to click/send email to them about the product, but having to save the page, edit the code, yank out their email, and send them a message was just too much trouble, "so I'm just letting you know I was almost a customer, but couldn't quite contact you." Done that at least a dozen times in the past month.

Remember -- it didn't stop the spammers, or me getting their email address, but it did cost them the sale. Not a good situation for trying to be "clever".

If they use MS Word to view your site, or a similar WYSIWYG editor, they just need to save the page, to snag your images. With MSIE saving the page will "steal" the image for all practical purposes in 95+% of cases. (Either way, the image is still in the cache)

Don't count on _any_ such protections to protect your images. Putting your copyright ON the image, watermarking the image (visibly), or saving it in high-compression JPG are about the only ways to prevent problems, but even then, there are ways around it.

The web was supposed to be a place for FREE INTERCHANGE, "locking" content was never a priority.

The *ONLY* way to lock images, is to use a proprietary de-coder in the browser or on your pc, and every site that has tried that has gone defunct really, really quickly. People don't want it, and collectors just collect images/pictures, and that gets in the way of their enjoyment.

Just my thoughts on the "real world" practicality of doing this. It was cute 10 years ago. Today, it's actually akin to sparking road-rage in your potential clients.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
Hi,

Are you talking about EM Gallery, or something like that? It's pretty cool. But, it's still just a clone of Image Folio, and I posted a few years back I was able to clone Image Folio using Links SQL 1.1x in just a weekend <G>

Andy and I are combining forces on this, and we'll hopefully be able to support both netpbm and ImageMagick for all features.

Rotation has a purpose.... it can highlight certain images, such as in a members gallery. But, it's an option. Borders do help, because a 1pixel black border will separate the image from the background, regardless of what colors are used. Again, that's a choice, but you'll probably find it to be a desired thing in the long run.

If you look up my "Image Gallery" or "ImageSQL" program (posts by user PUGDOG) all those features should eventually be built in.

If you remember, (besides the server crash) the thing that was blocking me was the disk format for larger galleries -- 10,000+ images, 100,000+ images, etc.

There were two considerations.

1) reading the existing gallery in, with as much "data" as possible

2) reconstructing the disk-based system, and data tree in the event of a database crash, or similar. (I'm just a bit paranoid at this point).

Under the old BBS system (Like WildCat) you used local files.bbs files to keep track of the data for each image in a directory. With MySQL this is in the database, but "linking" that data back to a disk-based file system can be a real problem if there is no link between them.

The situation is one akin to Links SQL's links and categories. Links can be exported, but without the CatLinks table, the relationship between the links and the categories, ie: your entire site "structure" is lost.

If the files on the disk know how to interact with the MySQL database, then if there is corruption, a utility can wind it's way through the disk, and re-link or reconstruck the database file/site layout.

Again, for smaller sites -- a few hundred images -- this is not an issue. But the smallest site I have with images, is over 2,000, and the average site has 20-30,000. (plus thumbnails).

I tried to find my old posts but windows crashed before I could post them. Whomever says XP is the "best" most "stable" version of windows ever is really just commenting on how bad the previous versions really were <sigh>

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Gotta agree with Pugdog on the stealing of images. It is so easy in spite of any built in safe guards. Maybe the option here is that javascript to slow down some might be an optional extra. Thats all it takes.

It is an excellent idea Andy. Would there be any major problems about - instead of being an entirely reworked script ( as I read it) - be an integral part of existing databases - but elsewhere called in as a specific item on the site.

Suggestions... As above - various acknowledgemets as to photographer date et al. Definitely admin approved gallery posters. Each gallery owner unique and secure login etc. each gallery owner can as an option allow comments etc. Definitely a built in postcard script to go with it - wasted exercise otherwise - put the gallery to good use. Incorporate staistics as to useage of each image for ratings etc.

Big task mate, but you can do it.

All the best for Christmas and thanks for all the help.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The ability to have the description or an ALT description be inserted into the image tag (ALT="nevada sunset in red rock canyon")
This is good for vierwer as well as the search engine.
- important[/quote]
This could be done by just entering;

<%if Description%>alt="<%Description%>"<%else%>alt="<%Title%>"<%endif%>

Cool

Quote:
The ability to have descriptions shortened (click for full descriptions). - good

Yeah, I'll be adding that in pretty soon.

Quote:
Detailed info on the image. - good

Already there :)

Quote:
Copyright information - good

Not quite sure what you are refering to here? People can place the copyright in the footer... but are you asking for a seperate page alltogether?

Quote:
Exposure info -
Photographer -

Yeah, I was going to add those features (would be good for an artist site or something)

Quote:
Model -

Not quite sure about this one?

Quote:
Rotation by 10pct - useless.

You would be suprised how useful it can actually be Wink

Quote:
Right Click - useless, annoys people, slows page loading down.

Ageed.

Quote:
thumbnail border - depending on background, can be distracting or not.

There is an option to turn on/off borders (you can even define how thick the border is).

Quote:
Best things are easy navigation - most important
automatic dropdown jumpbox to different galleries? - good

Definatly something I would look at adding. What I may do is write a plugin, which then can be called for basic 'Tools' ... this way I don't need to manually edit globals.txt etc.

Quote:
auto slideshow - good

Agreed.

Quote:
random slideshow in category - nice.

Yeah, this would just be a part of the slideshow. Slideshow would have features something like;

By Category
Random
Show All

Quote:
galleries hidden or not depending on users login rights - useful.

I was looking at adding in something like this. I would add in a payment system, which would them verify the accounts in realtime, and set them up an account. Would most likely use PayPal or WorldPay. The only thing with this, is that it needs to be run via page.cgi really to be able to use this feature (because you obviously can't use dynamic scripting in static pages)

[quoteHave you used the free open software "Gallery"? Look at it for features. We have used it, very impressed. It is quite nice. Also PhotoPost.[/quote]
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Quote:
If you want a really cool feature, program javascript to "on the fly" build the zoomed image html page to show the larger image in a nice titled window with nav bars when the thumbnail is clicked on.
I've done this, it is *amazing*. Will trade for ****?

Yeah, I did the same on a calander script for a client. Pretty cool, but not very predictable in terms the image sizes etc?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
Quote:
It is an excellent idea Andy. Would there be any major problems about - instead of being an entirely reworked script ( as I read it) - be an integral part of existing databases - but elsewhere called in as a specific item on the site.

Well, I can't take the credit for the idea. Although I have done similar projects before; ImageSQL was actually pugdogs idea (thus the domain being owned by him). Its literally going to be a copy of LinksSQL, modded to hell and back, so that all you do is install, add your clipart, and voila Smile

Quote:
Suggestions... As above - various acknowledgemets as to photographer date et al. Definitely admin approved gallery posters. Each gallery owner unique and secure login etc. each gallery owner can as an option allow comments etc. Definitely a built in postcard script to go with it - wasted exercise otherwise - put the gallery to good use. Incorporate staistics as to useage of each image for ratings etc.

The images will have all the basic functions of a normal 'links' , such as reviews, ratings, detailed pages, etc.

I like the postcards idea. Its a pretty powerful tool, and shouldn't be too hard to implement (a great way for site owners to build up an email database of contacts if they wish to do so).

I also want to put some statistics in. I was hoping to have a plugin in the admin side, with something like;

Views this week
Views this month
Overall Views

I'm not sure how I will structure this... but I suppose I'll come to this when needed Angelic

Quote:
Big task mate, but you can do it.

Yeah, definatly a big task.. but I can't wait to see the finali :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks for the vote. What I had in mind about combining this script with the existing links programme is to allow ANY link owner to actually have their own image gallery perhaps to further their own sites interests. This could take the form of a linkable URL from their own site and everyone benefits - especially the linkssql site owner. Most people would love an image gallery but they can be a swine to install and keep running.
Quote Reply
Maybe I could add something like this into a PRO version of it? Otherwise adding all this is going to put the price tag upto about $1000, which not many people can afford.

Once I have this version done, then I'll take a look at adding this stuff in :) (need to get our new site all setup first, to take over linkssql.net).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I've played with several gallery scripts over the years, and settled on Photopost PHP as being the best.
They keep updating it but I'll be upgrading to the latest version at some point tomorrow. If you'd like to take a look at the admin side, then PM me.

The features I love best are as follows;

Bulk upload of images via FTP and automatic extraction of zipped files containing many images
Automatic thumbnail generation (size selectable) and builds two sizes of image for viewing
Photos sorted by most popular, most recent upload etc etc
Password protection, private gallerys for users, gallery upload file size limits, etc
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
Quote:
Bulk upload of images via FTP and automatic extraction of zipped files containing many images
Automatic thumbnail generation (size selectable) and builds two sizes of image for viewing
Photos sorted by most popular, most recent upload etc etc
Password protection, private gallerys for users, gallery upload file size limits, etc

Sounds interesting. I especially like the bulk upload of images idea. I was considering something like this myself, but it would need to run via SSH really, and I'm not quite sure how I would handle the uploads/adding to the database, as LinksSQL's way of doing this seems pretty complicated Frown I'll definatly look into it though.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Wouldn't roate the image by 90 degrees make more sense? For when people want to convert landscape into potraits. etc. Similar to iPhoto.

In fact, iPhoto should be a good source of insipiration. Let me load it up. :-)

OK. How about an automated gallery slide show? You click a button, sit back and a slide show opens up in full screen that automatically flicks through your images every n second. You can add some background music to that too.

Link through to websites where you can order the prints on a t-shirt, a mug or just straight prints?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
Yeah, I'm definatly going to put some sort of slideshow system in (see: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=258558#258558).

I have just put the rotation part in for people to use as they want. There is an option in there to define if its used, and also what percentage they want to rotate it by.

Quote:
Link through to websites where you can order the prints on a t-shirt, a mug or just straight prints?

Yeah, that sounds pretty cool. Do you know of any sites that offer this kind of thing? I would imagine it would just be a case of passing the URL of the image to an external site?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Copyright info per photo is needed when there is a public gallery of ppics from different people or sources.

Same for advanced description or photo info - it is a advanced description of each photo and not of the "page" or "set". With multiple pics on a page, one "description" field doesn't do as well. Can be very useful. Most photo programs do this. Don't dismiss this so easily ...I take a lot of photographs!

10% rotation, makes the jaggedies like crazy. 90 degree is important, though. The best galleries work with 3 sizes - thumb, mid, and full.

PhotoPost is very advanced. Also Gallery. Go through those for features and suggestions.

Photopost lets people rate/review the pics, also..
Quote Reply
Quote:
The best galleries work with 3 sizes - thumb, mid, and full.

Sounds like a good idea :) Something like;

Thumb
Medium
Full Size

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Just to keep everyone updated. ImageSQL beta1 is almost ready. Its pretty simple to setup. Simply install LinksSQL, and then install 6 plugins, which change the look/workings/fields etc all for you.

It should literally work straight away (i.e pretty much out of the box).

Whilst it is in beta, the price will be $600 (this includes a LinksSQL license). If you already own a license of LinksSQL, then it is only $250 (you cannot break the LinksSQL license by having a copy of LinksSQL and a copy of ImageSQL installed on the same server, otherwise it would be the same as having 2 copies of LinksSQL running on the same license).

I'll post a reply to this thread once it is ready for sale (I currently have 3 people beta testing it).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hard to find an entry point into this thread, so I'll reply to the last message <G>

Our image rotation code (at least the code I have for Unix) is based on NetPBM and it does really, really nice rotations. Very minimal jaggies.

Border, drop shadow, etc all have places, and are simple features that can be enabled/disabled in the admin.

FWIW: I've let andy run with the program for the past month or so (he's so excited <G>). But we both have ideas that we want to build in, and as the program evolves into a version 1.0, and then a 2.0, it will diverge from plugins to being a true OEM version. Tighter tie-ins between certain code, optimized searches, better disk-management, etc. I'm not mucking with it, until andy is satisfied with his first official beta release. (I'm playing with community and GList to see how I can integrate them into a hybrid program of monumental proportions <G>)

Andy has a slightly different vision than I do, but they are compatible and complementary. The end result is the consumer/end-user will win out bigger-time.

After the beta release, the plugins may be developed further, as independent projects, or as modules to build upon in other programs.

Tenataive pricing is $600 during the beta, $750 for the "Lite" version, and $1500+ for the "pro" version. There is a STEEP discount during the beta development. The reasoning is, this program will contain most of our plugins, core code, and such, and therefore has a lot more "intellectual property" in it. As we develop this further, we may be able to make this a "server" for other programs, such as the Classifieds, Personals and Matchmaker software. There are also other "benefits" for purchasing a license during the beta period. Visit http://ultranerds.com for more, and *please* try to move the discussions there, as pricing, etc is not really related to this forum.

Upgrades are going to be free for 1 year, or within a major version number. Whichever is longer (you get at least 1 year upgrades). Version upgrades carry a price tag dependent on the versions. Your Links SQL key is valid under the terms of the GT License agreement so you can migrate to the current "generic" Link SQL version at any time.

For those who own Andy's "plugins" package, these OEM versions are not plugins. They are a separate product, with a built-in separate Links SQL license.

As we develop this, the plugins package will absorb some of the new plugins, and we'll eventually move to a teired plugins package, where you will be able to pick one or two of the major plugins, plus all the minor plugins, depending on your type of site.

There is a *LOT* of work on these plugins, and there is going to be ON-GOING development. We've tried to come up with a fair balance for everyone. As Andy rolls out the beta code, I'll be adding in some of the features that I've been sitting on for years. I'm trying to collect my old messages, and I'll be posting them in the Ultranerds forum area. There is a heck of a lot of man-hours (the mythical beast) in this code, and we are doing our best to come up with a licensing program that is fair to everyone.

http://ImageSQL.com will have it's own site, and we'll have demos set up, as well as links to sites that are going to be available "pre-developed" with custom templates, image sets, and more.

This is a *BIG* project, possibly the biggest ever applied to a Links SQL modification. I said that before Andy and I teamed up, and now that we're working together, it will be even bigger :)

_-_-_-_-ing AWESOME! :)

For those who may not know, my involvement with on-line imaging and forums goes back to 1983. I ran several forums on different system, CIS, The Source, Delphi, GEnie, etc, and my own 8-line BBS under Wildcat/OS/2. PGG Graphics had some of the largest image collections and best photographers working with us in the early days of BBS/dial up and the Internet. Our Forums on DELPHI were second behind the PC forums as far as traffic. The technology has finally caught up enough to migrate some of that to the Web/Internet. So, I have a long history with -- and a lot of time thinking about -- on-line image galleries, digitial imaging, intellectual property rights/copyright, and more. I am hoping to get some of that BBS functionality back, and move my image collection, and that of several other photographers, onto the web, and provide stock photos, "site seeding", custom photography shoots, and more. The development of ImageSQL from my point of view will be to manage all that. (And Andy thought he was just writing a gallery program ;) <G>)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
cute: http://www.imagesqlgallery.com/ Smile

just saw it on updates of cgi.resourceindex.com and thought about looking for some features which might be interesting for you but then ...

Regards
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to
Yeah, this is a version I wrote about 3 months ago. Never really picked up (cgi resources take forever to add a listing Frown). I'll probably end up just linking ImageSQL.com and ImageSQLGallery.com together when we finalise the work on ImageSQL.com. Just makes one less bit of software to maintain :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] ImageSQL - what are you looking for? In reply to

At US$600 for the script I think dancing girls included is a reasonable ask.
Quote Reply
it´s a little off topic but afak you get a very private dance for $600 and the girl(s) might be willing to do a lot of things but I doubt that they know any perl... but in real life the girl will leave and at least you can keep the script... whatever as already mentioned off topic but when it comes to (dancing) girls...
Quote Reply
>>>At US$600 for the script I think dancing girls included is a reasonable ask. <<<

That includes a license of LinksSQL... so its only really $150 Wink The ImageSQL version will be more than that, going up to $2500 ... so $600 is cheap ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >