Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

PageBuilder Plugin

(Page 3 of 10)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: [Kilroy] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
Hi

there is no demo set up, because that would admin access for people trying it. All the pages on my website (see signature) that are not Links SQL or GForum pages have been built by the plugin.

The plugin can create separate pages based on the category and/or links database. Those pages can be created anywhere, i.e. also outside of your Links SQL directory.

Does that answer your questions?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Getting "What's New" to point to detailed pages In reply to
I have PageBuilder building detailed pages in the same directories as the category index pages. Works great.

The main reason I want detailed pages is because I'm using LSQL in part to build a dictionary/encyclopedia. So on the What's New pages, I just want to point people to the detailed page, rather than to a jump.cgi link (since for the definitions, there isn't really an external URL to jump to).

Problem: Getting the last part of the URL is easy: <%ID%>.html. But how do I get the rest of the path in the URL in link.html?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [agaffin] Getting "What's New" to point to detailed pages In reply to
Helps to browse the Resources area! here's the answer.
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] PageBuilder Plugin - Searching In reply to
Does the PageBuilder Plugin allow users to use the default seach feature?

i.e. I have a contacts page, but how do I let users find it by searching?

Is the Database Information related to this? i.e. NONINDEXED, INTERNAL, MYSQL, MSSQL

I see a Search Weight field but I can't see this when I try and change properties?

I've added several new Columns which contain my content but is it possible to make this content appear in the Search Results?

Any help appreciated, as I would imagine I'm missing something obvious.
Best wishes,
Piers
Quote Reply
Re: [Piers1] PageBuilder Plugin - Searching In reply to
I am not quite sure what you are trying to do? Can you explain a bit more?

In general, you can only search the "Category" and "Links" tables. The search function does not search your templates, or any other tables, in particular, it doesn't search the "PageBuilderPage" table.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] PageBuilder Plugin - Searching In reply to
I think that may answer the question.

I wanted Users to search for something, but allow the results to include my contact details page etc. It would seem the only way of doing this would be to include that information in the links table.

Piers
Quote Reply
PageBuilder Plugin - norwegian characters In reply to
What will happen if the link title have special norwegian characters? Are those characters translated into somthing else when making the file name?

Kjetil
Kjetil Palmquist
www.svanger.com

Last edited by:

kjetilpa: Dec 2, 2002, 12:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [kjetilpa] PageBuilder Plugin - norwegian characters In reply to
You can select the filenames you want to have for your 'link' pages. Obviously, they have to be unique (i.e. every link has to have a unique name), and standard, you are only allowed to use the ID field of the links database for the filenames. So, you filename would e.g. be defined as:

<%LinkID%>-printable.html

which would the build pages as follows:

1-printable.html
2-printable.html
3-printable.html
etc. etc.

If you want to use your link titles as filenames, you would have to make sure that they are unique. Plus, I would need to implement some more checking on the filenames. The reason why the <%Title%> tag is by default not allowed in filenames is that you would need to be sure that all titles are unique and that they do not contain bad strings, such as '../../../../../etc/passwd'

Does that make sense?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] PageBuilder Plugin - install error In reply to
When installing PageBuilder from Links I get this error:

Error running installation code: GT::SQL::Editor (32685): Unknown method 'add_tree' called at (eval 1) line 440.

How can I solve this?
Kjetil Palmquist
www.svanger.com

Last edited by:

kjetilpa: Dec 3, 2002, 7:50 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [kjetilpa] PageBuilder Plugin - install error In reply to
You need Links SQL version 2.1.1.

The plugins uses a module that was added in Links SQL 2.1.1, and it therefore won't work in earlier versions of links.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] PageBuilder Plugin - install error In reply to
Hey Yogi,

I am thinking of using LinskSQL on another site (I am a bit addicted to the database, now). Anyway, on this partcular site, I wish to have 3 category pages get printed (static site). I'd like 3 category.html templates: category1.html, category2.html, category3.html. In each template, I'd love to find code to show a sort based on a different field. So on each category page, there was a pull down menu that showed category/subcategory sort choices. But also is on a static site (and very server friendly)

If you don't have the last part about sorts, that would be fine as I have a request into Mel at GT for that part. But the first part, where the system prints 3 category.html templates? Can pagebuilder do that?

Thanks Yogi. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] PageBuilder Plugin - install error In reply to
Hi

you can definitely build the three different category pages with the PageBuilder plugin. On every category page built with the plugin, you have all links and all subcategories as tags. There is one small thing that does not work yet: there is no spanning of category pages (i.e. all links in one category will be on the same page). This will be changed soon, with the next release of the plugin.

Does that answer you question?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
When using both the attachments plugin and the pagebuilder plugin...

Is the attachments loop associated with a link supposed be available on the new link-associated page being made by pagebuilder?

I might be doing something wrong (likely) but I'm not able to get them to show up on the new page being created. I did a variable dump on the new page and the attachments are not listed.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: [estjohn] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
Good question!

I have updated the Attachement plugin (version 1.1.3 is in the download area), and you can now use the following tag on a 'link' page built by the PageBuilder plugin:
Code:
<%Plugins::Attachment::User::get_link_attachments($ID)%>
where $ID is the ID of the link. This will provide the 'link_attachments' loop.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Great! Thanks yogi!
Quote Reply
Great Plugin Ivan,

I have been using your plugin to create all of the additional pages for my site and it works really well.

One use I found, that others may find useful as well:

For my detailed pages, I wanted a list of other featured sites to appear. I had a global that worked fine, but I found that when I went to build the pages (over 1000) the new global slowed down the build time considerably.

It seemed a lot of work for Links to have to run the global for each detailed page, so I decided to use Pagebuilder. The tricky part is to have Pagebuilder build a static page into the default templates directory.

That way, a static page exists with the Featured links list that each detailed page can grab. It cuts the time for builds down substantially. About once a week I just re-build the pagebuilder pages and the static list is updated.

Bryan

Last edited by:

BryanL: Dec 11, 2002, 7:18 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [BryanL] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
Thanks for the positive feedback.

This is a way of using the plugin that I haven't thought of before, but it certainly makes sense to build that page as a template!

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
A couple questions:

Can this plugin be used on a site that is using multiple templates?

Can this plugin be used for both dymanic and static pages?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] PageBuilder Plugin In reply to
Hi

1. The plugin currently only works with one template set. I am working on making it more flexible, so that you will be able to define a pagebuilder page that belongs to different template sets.

2. The pages created by the plugin can be displayed in both static and dynamic mode. For every page you can select which modes you want to allow.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
So I would be able to use it on one template set (what ever is set to default) either dynamic or static.

If I call different template sets they will display correctly just without any pages attached to pagebuilder?

Example- If I use pagebuilder for support pages (about us, news, etc) these pages will display correctly with only one template set (lets call them default for this example). If I call another template set (lets say yahoo for this example) the templates will behave as they should only without any of the pages from pagebuilder? I hope I am being clear with my question, the more I try to explain the more confusing it becomes. Crazy
Quote Reply
The pagebuilder pages will always display with the default template set. That means that if you are browsing the directory in the 'fancy' template set, and you call a pagebuilder page, the pagebuilder page will be displayed in the 'default' template set. They will not be broken, but they will just not be in the 'fancy' template set.

The problem with multiple template sets is the following: all pagebuilder templates are stored in a directory called 'pagebuilder'. This template directory inherits templates from the default template directory, i.e. you can include any template from the default template directory, without recreating them in the 'pagebuilder' directory. It is not possible to dynamically switch the inheritance behaviour, i.e. it is not possible to include header files from several directories. Does that make sense?

In the future, each template directory (e.g. 'default' and 'fancy') will have it's own pagebuilder template directory, (i.e. 'default_pb' and 'fancy_pb'). When you define a page, you will be able to indicate for which template set the page will be built/displayed (e.g. for 'default' and/or 'fancy' and/or 'yahoo' etc).

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
If I do not want the pagebuilder pages displayed on templates other than the default templates, can I just not include the pagebuilder links on the other templates and they will display and behave correctly?
Quote Reply
Your existing templates will always behave correctly. If you include a link to a 'pagebuilder' page on a non-default template, the only thing that will happen is that the pagebuilder page will be displayed as part of the 'default' template, but everything else will remain unchanged.

Does that answer your question?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Thanks for your prompt response.
You have answered all my questions, and I'm impressed, also very good feedback on these forums.
I will become a customer soon. Wink
Quote Reply
Kudos!

Your PageBuilder plugin is great! I am so impressed and happy I purchased it!

I do think that more complete documentation is necessary as I believe that this plugin can do more than I realize. Trying to serach these forums is a pain in the #$&%! It's own support area would be helpful. I would like to contribute to the docs, but my skills are questionable, however if you may need more server space for this I have plenty, just drop me an email.

Again, great job!
> > > >