Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5

Quote Reply
Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5

Hi all,

I am writing a Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5.
My ideas are:
The Links table is the same with Products table plus some fields like Amount, Price.
The Pluggin just add to the database some tables to manage the Cart and Order.
This Plugin also supports with Payal.

If anyone interest with this Plugin, I would appreciate any your ideas and suggestions.

Cheers,

Beck

Quote Reply
Re: Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to

I'm interested to this plugin, can U let me any more??

Thanks in Advance
Bye From Italy
Quote Reply
Re: [Beck] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
Hi,

A quick way to implement the cart is to use GT::Session::File. You can do:

my $session_id = GT::CGI->param('s') || GT::CGI->cookie('s');
my $session = new GT::Session::File (
directory => $CFG->{admin_root_path} . "/sessions",
id => $session_id
);
$session->{data}->{cart} = ....;
$session->save;

and you can store any perl structure you like in $session->{data}.

It does mean that a user would need to be logged in, but you could instead give everyone who doesn't have a session one when the user clicks add to cart.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Honestly,

I would consider using a separate table for the products. Otherwise, you might end in a situation of needing 2 or more copies of Links to operate it properly.

Use one topic for holding the "catalog".

To the links table I'd add a field "isProduct"

If it is, then you could use a template function call to load the values from that table record.

Additionally, if "isProduct" is a numerical code, a '0' means it's not a product, a '1' means it uses template/database set #1, etc.

It would be a bit more work to create a front end to enter the products, but not by much. I may be releasing the codes I've started for the logo/graphic and multiple upload mods, since I am unable to do significant work on them any more, hopefully others will flesh them out, and add features.

A "simple" catalog could be set up using a multiple attach concept by using one links category as the "catalog" with different sub categories as sections, and different links as "groups". Each link could then have one or more associated products with it.

Check out and session management is really the most "non-links" thing you'll have to work on. Most everything else is simply a modification of an existing table or template.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Here is a thread with a bunch of great ideas but the project never surfaced.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum_view_collapsed;
Quote Reply
Re: [Code07] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
Here is a shopping-card I use successfull since 1 year:
http://www.merchantorderform.com

You can also send images of the products to the card:
http://www.merchantorderform.com/mofcart/Example_Options1.html

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
Merchant Order Form doesn't do Quantity Discount Pricing - Volume Discounts - on a per-item basis

Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
I think you can compute all kind of discounts

http://www.merchantorderform.com/Documentation/Configurations1.html#UseDiscount

...also shipping, handling, insurance, tax, coupon discount

Michael

--
Michael Skaide

http://www.cycle24.de

Quote Reply
Re: [Michael Skaide] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
Those discounts are based on the order totals, not on a per-item basis. I actually heard from the author of MOF regarding this, and he admitted that it can't do quantity discount pricing per item.

So, for example, you can't list your items like this:

Shoes
1-3 pair........$25.00 ea
4-6 pair........$23.00 ea
7-10 pair......$21.00 ea
11+ pair.......$19.00 ea

I am actually looking at Interchange, which is an open source and free shopping system available through RedHat:

http://interchange.redhat.com/...dex.html?id=PsC7CsmZ

It seems very powerful, but it's turning out to be tough to figure out and I have to try to get it to work with PostgreSQL, too.

I'm hoping that any shopping system that I use will work with Links SQL, cuz I really like the flexibility that Links provides.

BTW, has anyone considered trying to integrate Interchange with Links SQL?

It might be easier than reinventing the wheel if you know what I mean.

------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

DogTags: Dec 27, 2001, 4:15 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
In Reply To:
I am actually looking at Interchange, which is an open source and free shopping system available through RedHat:

Does anyone know if interchange has the ability to interface with WorldPay? I've looked at the site but can't find anything about the payment options?

regan.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
Interchange. Formerly MiniVend + ____ (the name escapes me). Now part of the RedHat group.

A rose (or stink weed) by any other name....

I have _NEVER_ been able to get MiniVend to install and run.

That said, a bunch of ISP's seem to have been able to get it to run.

Customization. If reverse polish notation, and perl REGEX's are your native language, you'll find the mini-vend tag system template system to be like second nature.

Of course, if you are a normal human, and like the way Links SQL functions, and how the template parser works, you'll pull your hair out, and probably go postal, unless you down significant "chill juice" for the 2-8months it will take to learn it.

Other than that, it's not that bad. It's fully customizable (so they say), it's completely flexible (so they say) and it's fully scalable (so they say). It handles multiple stores on the same server, too, (so they say).

It's open source (I can vouch for that) and it's got an active developer (er griping??) community, as evidenced by the mailing lists I've been a member of for the past year or so.

Will they actually answer YOUR question? that's another story.

But, I will admit I have not tried Interchange since it was acquired by RedHat, and that may have made some changes in the support issues. It is 1.5 or maybe 2 versions further along than last I looked, but from the mailing list, I gather the use/configuration/etc issues, those have not changed.

I think they would have been better off to NOT join the two programs, re-design the entire program from the ground up, using what was learned in the code of the two previous programs.

As it is, I would not touch Interchange, as much as I lust after a fully functional, robust, and open source shopping cart solution.

I honestly don't think IC is it, unless you can devote an entire department to making it work on your site.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Shopping Cart pluggin with Links SQL 2.0.5 In reply to
In Reply To:
I honestly don't think IC is it, unless you can devote an entire department to making it work on your site.

Thanks for the info pugdog - I'll keep looking.

cheers,
regan.