Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Become An Editor Plugin?
Hi all!

I'm thinking of soon adding editors to my directory, but want to have some control of who they are before I just switch them on.

With the dmoz directory, they have a "become an editor" sign up form where the editor wannabe can suggest a few links etc so the admin can see if they're worthy.

Click here to see what I mean...

It would be great if this 'application form' or system was available for linksql.

Does anyone know if it exists?

Thanks,
Regan.

Last edited by:

ryel01: Oct 19, 2002, 1:22 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Become An Editor Plugin? In reply to
The editor monitor plugin that Ian has does that. Check with Ian.Smile
Quote Reply
Ian's Editor Plugin in your "Admin" Plugin download area. I use it and it's great! Just a matter of you adding fields to the form provided.
AuctionGuy
If you think Education is expensive, Try ignorance.
Quote Reply
Re: [AuctionGuy] Become An Editor Plugin? In reply to
great - thanks for the info! - I'll check it out.

regan.
Quote Reply
Hi again,

I had a read through Ians pages but there wasn't a lot of detail about the signup process.

If you read this Ian, could you post a little more details about if your plugin does the same thing as the dmoz signup system?

thanks,

regan.
Quote Reply
You could see it at my site for a quick look if you like. It's still very basic so should give you a good idea what the sign up looks like. You can easily add any fields to this template. You need to register to see it but I set you up with a temp login. If interested just pm me and I will send you the info. You must be 18 years of age tho.
AuctionGuy
Quote Reply
Yip - thanks for the offer - I'll pm you.

Wish I was only 18!!! Crazy

R.
Quote Reply
Thanks for that AuctionGuy. It looks like the plugin will do what I'm after - can you tell me a few more things about it...

1. Are the form fields stored in a database for approval or are they just sent via email to the site admin? Can you just give a quick flow line of how the process works.

2. Can editors approve signup of other sub editors below them? ie. is there an editor ranking or seniority or anything like that?

Think that's all...

Thanks again for showing me!

R.
Quote Reply
I think Ian would be the better one to answer those questions. Smile Check out more info below and email him. This is version 3 coming out soon.

http://www.iuni.com/custom/EM/em3.html
AuctionGuy
Quote Reply
Hi ,

Thanks for the great comments guys BTW!

Have a look at the attached file under "Editor Sign-Up".

If you sign up on my support forum, send me a pm and I'd be happy to give you access to the Editor Monitor support area.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Become An Editor Plugin? In reply to
hi Ian,

thanks for that page of info! - it explained a lot.

one question for you though...

Q. Can editors approve signup of other sub editors below them? Or is editor approval soley in the hands of the site admin.

If this isn't something that's currently available, it might be a good extension to your plugin. That way a site admin could pretty much hand over the whole site to a couple of trustworty admins (or employees) to validate other editors below them.

regan.
Quote Reply
Hi Regan,

Yes, its up to the admin at the moment.

I am considering the possibilites of allowing more editor responsibilities, such as doing a build :) Thanks for the suggestion.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins