Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ Update ] Expire_Links v2

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
[ Update ] Expire_Links v2
I've made quite a few add-ons since version 1, so I thought I would start a fresh thread Smile

Price : $20 (buy)
Version : 2
Details: http://www.linkssql.net/plugins.html
Requirements: UNIX (for Cron facilities)

Features;

+ Option to send prior warning about a link getting ready to expire...
+ Option to set number of days for above...
+ Email messages are tremplate based, for easy editing...
+ Option to send out email once a link has expired..
+ Field you want to use for checking (mainly would recommend Add_Date or Mod_Date)...but if you have similar fields, then you could use them.
+ Automatic creation of cronjob when plugin installs....
+ More comprehensive Readme compared to the old one.
+ Option to do one of several things when a link expires;
#Set isValidated to 'No', so it no longer appears in the directory...
# Completly delete the link from the directory...
# Set a flag to TRUE if it has expired (not sure why people would want this...but it was a feature request Tongue)....

I think thats all the old + new features. If you have any questions, please reply to this new thread, and not the old one.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ Update ] Expire_Links v2 In reply to
You've put together a really nice mod, Andy. Many thanks Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
I just thought of another feature that might be nice:

Tiered Expiration

There could be a demo period and then various subscription periods. The new link could start in the demo period (or whichever) and then be switched to any of the other periods.

You might have the following subscription periods:

1. 3 mos (or initial trial period..perhaps could be a free period)
2. 6 mos (paid)
3. 1 year (paid)
4. 2 year (paid)
5. 3 year (paid)

With this tiering, you could allow link owners to demo your site for the trial period and then switch to any of the paid periods.

This could be a very powerful feature for offering pricing options. The thing for me is that offering just a single expiration period would be a bit restrictive.

It would be good if admin could configure unlimited levels. Admin could also tick the new expiration period on a per-link basis once the link owner has paid for the new period.

Whatcha think? Smile

Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] [ Update ] Expire_Links v2 In reply to
Wow...thats gonna be quite an advanced hack to make Tongue I don;t know if I will have the time to take that kind of project on just yet...but I like the idea. I think it will have to be a new plugin though, based on the same principles, cos the price will obviously need to go up. What I will probably do is keep this version as it is, with minor extra features...and then when I find time, create something like you just suggested Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Yeah, I know it's going to add a layer of complexity, but it would provide a nice layer of flexibility, too. Whenever you're ready, code away! Smile Thanks, Andy Smile

Quote Reply
Andy,

I am very interested in this plugin. How can I tell if this plugin would interfere with other plugins I have installed? Can plugins interfere with each other? Please tell me what to look for and then if there should be no conflict, I will buy. Smile thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] [ Update ] Expire_Links v2 In reply to
I don't see any reason why it would interfere. There was a bug with the Community plugin...but that has been patched up now. If you want to buy it, and there are any conflict problems...I'll be happy to refund you Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I appreciate the offer to refund $, but really, I just don't know how it all works. Like let's say it does interfere (or any plugin uses the same "hooks" or whatever) then if I uninstall, will everything go back to where it was? Or will there be damage that needs to be fixed? We are using plugins that effect the functionality of the site... I guess I am asking how this all works. How to know they won't overlap each other.
Quote Reply
Andy,

I may be missing something, but why is that more complicated than any of the other options?

It's simply a matter of a afew additional fields, and perhaps a linked field for database normalcy and integrity.

I built that into the expirator mod I had, basically because I figured everyone would want a different means of expiration.

If your cron job counts down "days left", you can simply enable the other fields to count down, and "if enabled_subscription_NN" set link to isValidated (to pull it in and out of searches) or isPaid (to allow showing of additional fields). If you want a "free" or "trial" period, you can simply add that to the cron program, so that "ifFree" or "isTrial" you just skip changing the "days_left" option.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] [ Update ] Expire_Links v2 In reply to
In Reply To:
I appreciate the offer to refund $, but really, I just don't know how it all works. Like let's say it does interfere (or any plugin uses the same "hooks" or whatever) then if I uninstall, will everything go back to where it was? Or will there be damage that needs to be fixed? We are using plugins that effect the functionality of the site... I guess I am asking how this all works. How to know they won't overlap each other.

My plugin doesn't use any hooks Wink All it does, is run a completly seperate script daily...which checks if a link is about to expire, or has expired. Then the admin panel has a few admin options, which the script I was talking about prior to this takes into consideration, and does what ever you want. The plugin installs the cronjob on its own when installing...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Smart Expire In reply to
I guess what I'm thinking is that admin would be able to update a particular link at any time and just add the paid new time onto the existing period. You could have a demo period, and then the link owner could say, "Hey, I like your site. Let's extend for a year." , and then admin would somehow check a box to add the year onto the demo period. It would not just start the year from that point, but rather it would know that the existing period would have to run its course first. So, I've come up with a different name for the kind of expiration system that I'll need. I call it Smart Expire. Is this too corny? Smile

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Smart Expire In reply to
LOl...I'll get there Smile I'm just finishing off my new linkssql.net site design. Its got a user account area, and quite a few mouth watering packages for myplugins Tongue I'll post something about it in a day or so.... ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Smart Expire In reply to
Andy,

Just a thought, but how about a URL-link in the email so the link owner can 'reinstate' their link just by clicking.

I appreciate some people might want a subscription for renewing a link, but an optional 'Owner Validates' link inserted into the email (turned on/off by admin) would allow you to send periodic emails to link owners to get them to confirm their listing.

I suppose its main purpose would be simply to get people to come back to your site every now and then, but what do you think?

Something like:

Your link at 'xxxxx' is due to expire - click below to renew it:

http://www.yoursite.com/...enew.cgi?linkid=7195

renew.cgi could then reset the 'days counter' and the result page could confirm the listing details and be used to 'up sell' other options and features of your site!

Just and idea ...

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Smart Expire In reply to
Nice idea. I may incorporate this into the new version. BTW Shaun, your avatar seems to be a little corrupted in some places Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] Smart Expire In reply to
Good idea Smile

I would add that an email notice should go out to admin when a link owner updates using the email link so that billing can be done.

Would be nice to have some sort of invoicing worked into this, too.

What about if a link owner does a re-subscribe for X period that the script then generates an email invoice notice for that new period? Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Mar 5, 2003, 5:57 AM
Quote Reply
I'm loving all these ideas Smile Once I get most of my custom work out of the way...this is my main priority :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
What could be even cooler regarding invoicing is if the renewed link could be converted into a shopping cart item and allow the link owner to pay the bill all online. Let's see.......the link owner could login, click Renew Listing, select and pay for X period, and then somehow the system would need a confirmation that the new period has been paid so that the link could be either extended or re-instated automatically.

So, I guess there has to be a "holding" tank for expired listings, too. This would be for link owners who have allowed their listings to lapse but who would still like to re-instate them. I suppose that there could be a holding period of X days, set by admin, perhaps even on a per-listing basis. The default could be 30 days, but admin could extend the holding period by just changing the number in a link field.

Further, regarding the link that renew.cgi sends out, the question would be how to convert that into a shopping cart item. Perhaps the link owner could click that renew link and get sent back to their login page. From there, once they logged in, they would see "Pending Renewals" which they could either singly renew or renew as a group (checkboxes) and take care of it that way.

This is sounding better all the time. A billing system for LinksSQL Smile

What I'm trying to do is extend this concept all the way to make it totally automatic (or as much as possible). Why get snagged with the billing labor if the system could take care of it just as well?

Cheers! Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Mar 5, 2003, 7:37 AM
Quote Reply
GT....I just wanna make sure you don't have anything like this already. I don't want to go spending loads of time on this plugin, to then find out that you already have one like it, or most likely better Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Any clue on this, Goss Folks? Do you have in the works a way to do the complex expiration, billing, and all the other automatic stuff that we're talking about?

Many thanks Smile

Quote Reply
Andy,

I would reccomend keeping the expire plugin simple. Then create another plugin with all the fancy stuff (and charge more for it, too)
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Smart Expire In reply to
Thanks what I was going to do Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Well, I bought and installed this plugin. I can see why you thought it weird that I wanted to Flag expired links. Here's the thing, I would want to define Expiry_Date per link not as an overall setting. (Wouldn't be bad to set a default Expiry Date in the plugin admin. But I'd like to have a field in the Links DB and be able to choose how many days (or prefferably what date) you want that particluar link to expire.

Is there any chance that this plugin can do this? It looks like there is an overall setting that says all links are active for x days:

Expiry_Date: Set this to the number of days you want links to be active for. (I would think this would be per link)

But then I don't understand what this does:
Date_Field: This is the field name for the date you want to check. How does this setting work?
Quote Reply
That would work for me at this point...be able to set expiration on a per-link basis. Smile

Quote Reply
Sorry Andy for posting to your thread, but I need to note this.

Evoir, Dogtags,
That's exactly the way how my ALE plugin will work. All operations are link based. However my plugin will be much more expensive. Later I will keep you posted with more info in my own ALE plugin thread.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
>>>Is there any chance that this plugin can do this? It looks like there is an overall setting that says all links are active for x days: <<<

Overall, the plugin can do this. I did this modification for another client. I'm not going to make it public, as its quite messy code currently. If you would like a copy, I'm sure I could sort you out with one. Just send me a PM, and I'll get back to you Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >