Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Links SQL templates

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Links SQL templates
Is there a place to download more templates...? and free plugins ?
Quote Reply
Re: [qdice] Links SQL templates In reply to

in the downloads area (where you downloaded linksql) there is a template set there with about 5 different sorts there.

for plugins look in the plugin manager in your admin area, click on Plugins, Plugin Download, List plugins at Gossamer... under there is a whole list of plugins, some free some paid. Click on some of the plugin authors names to visit their web sites - some have more plugins listed there too.

r
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Links SQL templates In reply to
What I don't get is how to get links to build a static version of a particular template during the build.
Quote Reply
Re: [dwh] Links SQL templates In reply to
In Reply To:
What I don't get is how to get links to build a static version of a particular template during the build.

ahhhhhhh.... Sly

take a look at...

Admin > Setup > Build Options

Under there you can select the default template = build_default_tpl

r
Quote Reply
From the link you showed me, it sounds like if I change the default template, it will overwrite the first set. I need both template sets up there, with different number of links per page...

-------

I need to explain the situation better. I'd like the following setup...say my default links pages are here:

domain.com/links/

I'd like to automatically build a second set of pages based on a second template either here:

domain.com/links/yahoo/

or here:

domain.com/yahoo/

BTW, I run the nph-build every night in cron so that daily hits are updated. If I can even get this thing to work I suppose I'd need to run it again with a switch to get the second template set built.
Quote Reply
I'm not sure you can bulid 2 different template sets standard - it sounds like you might need to do some hacking! Wink

As a rough guess you might be able to duplicate the nph-build script and actually hard code the template set to use inside the two scripts, and also the build paths. Then run each script individually via your cron.

Others might know of a different way to do it...

r
Quote Reply
Wow I'm surprised no one has tackled this before. Hacking this doesn't sound like fun. Well if I do it, I'll turn it into a plugin for sure. But hopefully someone will come up with an easier way.

Last edited by:

dwh: Jul 20, 2004, 6:48 PM
Quote Reply
I looked at the code. It's more than just copying nph-build. It references modules and I guess the modules would have to be copied, etc. A big mess. This would be a major project for me, but I don't have the time for this. Oh well. Maybe someone will save the day.
Quote Reply
Why not simply have a complete second /cgi-bin/links/... and a cgi-bin/links2/...

You can make 50 of these and set each one up as you want and play links all day long to your hearts content to different base directories. Sould not affect the database one way or the other as far as I am aware - you really only are dealing with a different template set and a different build path. Maybe some-one with better knowledge can advise if this way is not possible.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Links SQL templates In reply to
It depends if where the template preference is stored. If you have a complete second set of files but the template preference is set in the database, you will still be building whatever template was last set.
Quote Reply
Please note, you will need another license of LSQL if you want to run 2 copies of it.

Using different template sets with a shared database would be fine. You would just edit the settings appropriatly for each install, but have them sharing the same database :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links SQL templates In reply to
In Reply To:
Please note, you will need another license of LSQL if you want to run 2 copies of it.

Using different template sets with a shared database would be fine. You would just edit the settings appropriatly for each install, but have them sharing the same database :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

So what you're saying is, just copy the entire directory structure from whereever you installed Links, this will cause it to point to the same database and not require a second license. And setting it to a different template will allow you to build to separate directories? So the template setting is NOT kept on the db?
Quote Reply
Quote:
So what you're saying is, just copy the entire directory structure from whereever you installed Links, this will cause it to point to the same database and not require a second license. And setting it to a different template will allow you to build to separate directories? So the template setting is NOT kept on the db?

Not quite :(

If you are going to have 2 installations; then you would be required to have 2 licenses. The settings are stored in /admin/Links/Config/Data.pm, but this will vary.

Not sure if that makes sense Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
It depends if where the template preference is stored. If you have a complete second set of files but the template preference is set in the database, you will still be building whatever template was last set.
Yes - thats what I was not sure about. I guess the base directory data html path is in the database as well. Not sure with a bit of thinking the idea is entirely lost. There MUST be a place where some module dictates which part of the database to get that info. That could be easily custom modified and simply create another row/column with specific info in the database if you get the drift. I have another script (different) that does something similar. It can be done. Saves massive hacking with the prospect of making monumental blunders.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

Not quite :(

If you are going to have 2 installations; then you would be required to have 2 licenses. The settings are stored in /admin/Links/Config/Data.pm, but this will vary.

Not sure if that makes sense Crazy

Cheers

How about copying just the admin directory into admin2? This way it isn't a new installation. Your files are still pointing to the same add.cgi etc... it's ONLY for the purpose to create that additional set of template pages. Do you think that would work?

Or maybe you have some other idea how to build a second template?
Quote Reply
Are you looking at having the 2 "installs" running on one server? If so, it may be possible with mod_rewrite. Something like;

RewriteRule ^directory/.*? /cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?g=$1&t=default
RewriteRule ^directory2/.*? /cgi-bin/links/page.cgi?g=$1&t=directory2

It would need to be a bit more complicated that this (to pick up things like "Cool", detailed pages, etc .. but the idea is there :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
All you basically want to do is 'skin' linkssql - is this not correct?
Quote Reply
Gypsup, yes I'd like to skin it.

Andy, I'm not too good at perl and don't really follow your suggestion, although I'd love to. Yes, it's one server.
Quote Reply
Maybe some-one has a specific answer to that problem - skinning.
If thats what you are attempting then I fail to see why issues of licensing enter into matters - under the circumstances.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I fail to see why issues of licensing enter into matters - under the circumstances.

Its not the "skinning/template sets" that is the problem. If you were to have ONE install, then it would only require ONE license. However, if you were to make a duplicate of LSQL, then it would be TWO physical installs, which would require a new license :(

DWH: Regarding mod_rewrite... do you have it on your server? It would make your site a LOT easier to work with, as you could get away with one LSQL install, and pretty much as many template sets as you want :)

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I have no idea if I have it. How can I tell?

It's a dedicated server running cpanel and WHM.
Quote Reply
Chances are, you will have it. To check, log in via SSH, and type;

locate mod_rewrite

... what does that give you?

We do offer a service for setting up mod_rewrite for LSQL: http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/54.html ... Not sure if you would be intersted in this... but I thought I would throw it in too :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I get a listing of files with that command so I guess it's installed. And now I get what you're saying, using mod rewrite I can make it look like it's static even though it's dynamic. I guess in a worst case it can work, but it's rather a shame that GT has 99.9% of this built in to write out static pages to do this and is missing the final step in writing out these pages.
Quote Reply
Quote:
I guess in a worst case it can work, but it's rather a shame that GT has 99.9% of this built in to write out static pages to do this and is missing the final step in writing out these pages.

Its a very niche feature, that most people wouldn't need (and take it from me, ita a LOT of work to put in).

Quote:
And now I get what you're saying, using mod rewrite I can make it look like it's static even though it's dynamic.

Exactly :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
From the link you showed me, it sounds like if I change the default template, it will overwrite the first set. I need both template sets up there, with different number of links per page...

-------

I need to explain the situation better. I'd like the following setup...say my default links pages are here:

domain.com/links/

I'd like to automatically build a second set of pages based on a second template either here:

domain.com/links/yahoo/

or here:

domain.com/yahoo/

BTW, I run the nph-build every night in cron so that daily hits are updated. If I can even get this thing to work I suppose I'd need to run it again with a switch to get the second template set built.

The Multilanguage-Plugin seems to be what you need. Have a look here in the forum or at the products pages of GT.

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
> >