Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Hits not working
I made the link actually link to the detail page rather than link out to the URL. But now, the "hits" doesn't work. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: [renken] Hits not working In reply to
Thats because jump.cgi tracks the hits =)

You could try using the Detail_Page plugin, as this lets you link via detail_page.cgi?ID=1234, as well as updating the hits field :)

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Hits not working In reply to
I downloaded and installed that plugin.
I'm not sure what to do next.

I replaced <%Hits%> with <%Detailed_Hits%> on the links.html and detailed.html templates,
is that right?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Kinda =) If you want to track the hits internally (i.e your not going to be using jump.cgi), then you may want to use the "Hits" field, as this will then let you track popular links, and order them in your categories accordingly :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Hits not working In reply to
I'm not fully grasping what you're saying, Andy. How exactly can I get the hits to register?
Quote Reply
I think the detail_page plugin increments the Detailed_Hits field, not the "hits" field, which is left to jump.cgi

I've been working on the detail_page plugin awhile, and you might also need the updated version. I don't remember how to upload/update the plugins download area :(

But if you look at a link record in the Admin->Database->List area, you can see all the fields.

IF the Detailed_Hits field is incrementing, change the <%Hits%> tag to <%Detailed_Hits%> to count the hits to the detail page.

Also, I'm going to try to figure out how to update the detail_page.cgi.

I *think* a more recent version was posted to the forum here awhile back.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi,

You can just link to the detailed pages using jump.cgi?Detailed=<%ID%> - this will increment the hits field.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Hits not working In reply to
This works!! Thanks afinlr!
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Hits not working In reply to
>> You can just link to the detailed pages using jump.cgi?Detailed=<%ID%> - this will increment the hits field.

But it doesn't let you track internal and external jumps separately.

The purpose of detail_page was two fold.
1) to allow dynamic detail pages in a static site, and
2) to track how many times someone looked at the detail page and then jumped to site. (eg: how appealing the detail page was, or how complete it was, etc)

detail_page has been rewritten, but I had a problem with "phantom" extra hits, which I could not explain, and which stepping through the code couldn't explain. It seemed to be coming from inside the mysql database, really weird.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Hits not working In reply to
In Reply To:
>> You can just link to the detailed pages using jump.cgi?Detailed=<%ID%> - this will increment the hits field.

But it doesn't let you track internal and external jumps separately.

The purpose of detail_page was two fold.
1) to allow dynamic detail pages in a static site, and
2) to track how many times someone looked at the detail page and then jumped to site. (eg: how appealing the detail page was, or how complete it was, etc)

detail_page has been rewritten, but I had a problem with "phantom" extra hits, which I could not explain, and which stepping through the code couldn't explain. It seemed to be coming from inside the mysql database, really weird.

Have you had a chance to test with goss 3 yet? I still need this :) Or I need the select detailed plug in. I need to be able to have only selected links have detailed pages, dynamic or not wouldn't really matter.
Quote Reply
Re: [loxly] Hits not working In reply to
Hi,

I have it working with 2.99.x

I'm trying to re-do it to conform with the actual calling conventions, but the sites I've upgraded still work. And I've installed it on two new sites.

I'm looking on making a modification now to page.cgi that will increment 2 different fields, but I still like the way I use detail_page.cgi.

If a link has a long description or more information, it links to detail_page.cgi, otherwise, it links to the site directly. If a long description is entered, it starts to use that automatically.

The page.cgi system reads the build_detail_page flag, to decide how to jump. It works a bit differently.

despite the updates to page.cgi over the years. I've found the detail_page.cgi to still be the most useful of the utilities I've written, and virtually every site I've set up uses it.

I'll try to get the updated detail_page.cgi released this week with the Ultra_Comments plugin.

Please leave a PM here.